• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

So for us G11 owners...

Birch

Tuned and Synch'ed
With a remap and new pipe/airbox, how much of an improvement are we talking here performance wise?

Kicking around a few ideas, but love my G11 so much that I'd rather improve on her then start new.

Thanks!

My 07 Griso 1100 has a pipe (collector back), open airbox lid and filter, ecu reflash, and PCV, from Todd. I also put a valve on the stepper motor to allow me to turn it off. It runs a good bit better than stock, probably between 5 and 10 hp better, although I have only seat of the pants to go by. I did get it dyno'd after, but not before. The biggest improvement, though, is in throttle response. It feels like it runs much better than it did stock. The valve on the stepper give the throttle a slightly better connection, especially in regard to closing the throttle. With the valve off when I close the throttle it closes. With the valve on, when you close the throttle it is more like you requested the throttle to be closed. But by opening the stepper valve it makes it feel like the throttle is not actually closed.

That said, I am trying to get some serious work done to it, with the hopes of closer to 100 hp. Whether or not that all pans out remains to be seen.

One "Idea" I've been contemplating for my Griso 1100 in a few years is rather than modifications to gain horsepower and all the associated problems why not just loose weight?

Now I am pushing myself to drop that extra 30 lbs but for the bike Ghezzi-brian has some nice forged wheels at about $2,000 which drop rotating mass.

The old rule of thumb for bicycle racing was a pound on the wheel is about 5 lbs on your back.

Don't ask me how much two good sets of mountain bike racing wheels cost when my youngest was racing. One for each X-Country racing bike.

The G11 forum figured the weight savings at 10+ lbs of rotating mass. It also would take mass from the unsprung suspension.

I've heard a 7 pound drop is about equal to a gain of one HP. For the expense in weight loss, do you really think you will get a result you can notice?

Here's carbon wheels on a Bellagio: https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/re-bellagio-mods.7625/page-5

I'm not so brave or rich man, I'd go with the forged.

A little less than half a century ago I put fancy wheels on a 10 spd bike. The bike originally came with regular wheels and I fitted this obscure thing called a sew-up. Even though the sew-up had 3 piece steel hubs and heavy galvanized spokes the bike would jump with every power stroke. No heavy flywheel effect just a surge each stroke.

Rotating mass is different than my chubby self. It's something that John Britten realized two decades ago when he made his carbon wheels at home.

Birch, I too reckon I might keep my 1100 rather than sell it and buy a new 2015 red / black jobby, which couldn't happen for a year or so anyway. In the meantime....I like how my bike goes..My bike has had 2 aftermarket maps in him . The full box and dice Power Commander setup and the Guzzidiag set up. Some folk reckon Rexxer stuff goes alright ,I dunno I haven't tried it. I have tried a couple of inlet mods, and as I suspected all along the designers know more about this than me. I have the standard air box and lid sans snorkel and an Agostini 2 into 1 and reverse cone muffler and am pleased with the way it compliments the donk . The valve seats on my bike left much to be desired, a clean up reaped good rewards . I am waiting on the return of a pair of throttle bodies from a mob that will make them as good as new, and just recently I put brass throttle rod ends on him and was pleasantly surprised with that.
How fast do you want to go and how deep are your pockets. ? Anyhow in my opinion the 1100 is a bloody good thing and can be made a whole lot sweeter without spendin squillions. Suspension and diet is the go. Look far and wide, plan it alk and post back with pictures.

Now I am pushing myself to drop that extra 30 lbs but for the bike Ghezzi-brian has some nice forged wheels at about $2,000 which drop rotating mass.

Have you got serious info on these wheels and are they for CARC models?

With my carbon wheels I saved 4.5kg on the front wheel and 4.2kg on the rear (19lb in total). That's from the stock Bellagio spoked wheels.
Lithium battery saved 4kg and full custom exhaust saved heaps more (can't remember, 8kg?), plus lighter bars, billet Matris R shock, slightly smaller tank and removal of a few excess bits. Full wet weight is 200kg (440lb), stock is 237kg. I could have saved more rotating mass with 500g lighter front discs and 300g off my rear axle/hubs. Desktop

The real bonus is with the lighter wheels, I kid you not as I have tested this back to back against my mates Triumph 675 Street Triple R. Fitted with SC Project pipes and Wilbers top line shock. The little Triumph has the edge with better front end feel due to weight bias (Bella has a 97/103kg front/rear split). But as far as flickability & turn-in is concerned, both bikes are on an even par. When you consider wheel base and geometry differences between the two, the results are astonishing. Several Griso owners have ridden Bella and can confirm.

Had 76RWHP before the wheels, haven't tested since. Front carbon flywheel is unquantifiable as far as HP gains are concerned, but could be calculated off improvement with the rear wheel. But my mods have nothing to do with numbers, it's all about the rideability and feel.

Am I happy? Shit yeah!

Last edited:
This all has been great stuff!

I've done a lot of bike racing (road/tri) and understand rotating mass. I didn't even know wheels were an option.

I use my bike for light touring, so I have the HB racks and junior bags, do I'm putting myself in the hole already.

Also never thought about an old school port/polish either. Probably more effort than it's worth.

Was mainly thinking air/map/pipe combo. Then again, would you really notice a 10hp bump?

Thanks everyone!

One of the great things about Guzzi's is they come from the factory in a low state of tune. There is so much more room for improvement, and at a much lower cost compared to most other brands. A 10 hp increase in a motor that only has 80 or so at the rear wheel is a pretty big improvement. If you can't feel that you are not twisting the throttle hard enough.
Pipe/map/filter is a good place to start, as I mentioned that is what mine has so far. But they also should respond well to a basic port/polish along with further improvements to the fueling, as well as setting squish and other basic hot rodding tricks. A lighter flywheel is also something I want to do. We will see how it goes.

Back