• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

So tell me what you do like.

macguzzy

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello all

I've read most of these fine posts and most of them are of doom, gloom and problems with their beloved bikes. What I would like to know, apart from all the breakdowns oil leaks and ill fitting this and that, what do you like about your bikes. We've heard all the bad but surely their should be some good??? Is'nt their :D :D :p

Yours (not to sure if buying the breva was the right thing :lol: )

Jock

What I like?

Good wines, pleasant company and hot weather. :mrgreen:
Are you talking 'bout bikes? - Oh I like my Breva too. No problems, takes me for loooong problem-free journeys during the summer.
Maybe because it's a smallblock Breva, how would I know? :dry:

:D :D :D

Doom and Gloom stories and a Technical forum like this go hand in hand.

Bought New 2007 Norge No problems

Bought New 2009 V7 Classic One minor problem that a torque wrench took care of.

Soon coming on board a used 2007 California Vintage Classic with all the service records 8800 miles and no problems. A friend made me an offer I could not refuse.
So three Guzzi's in the Garage and my thoughts are what great bikes they are to ride not what is going to go wrong on them and if and when it does I'll deal with it.
3 previous Guzzi's did not scare me away. :woohoo:
Read closely some of the horror stories and you will find a lot of these self inflicted.
Biggest self infliction is a person who is not mechanically inclined does not do the research and buy's a Guzzi without a good dealer nearby. A small problem in that scenario can become a serious one quickly.

Stop worrying what could go wrong and ride it ! :mrgreen:

What's not to like?

All my 6 Guzzi's (except maybe the first, a well used Lemans III) have been dependable and given me very little trouble. They are easy to maintain, fun to ride, good handling, and more intersting than 99% of what else is out there. And the Guzzi community, both on-line and in person, is a wonderful group of people willing to help with whatever you need.

:lol: Champagne, long walks on the beach, candles...Actually, not much. I have had a run of bad luck since before December with my 2007 Norge and am running out of patience. Rear main seal, Front transmission seal, oil soaked (read destroyed) clutch three months wait for parts.
About 2K later I picked up the bike from the mechanic and something has suddenly gone wrong with the transmission, it won't shift from first to second without speed shifting at 4K RPM and even then it's a crap shoot. Even though the mechanic did nothing internal to the transmission and it was shifting fine before all this crap happened. He is in contact with Shawn in Costa Mesa and trying to work things out. My bike has been broke since before December and has been unrideable since then.
The mechanic has had my bike for the shifting problem for three weeks now and has not called once. I called him and he told me about Shawn looking into it. I sent an email asking whats up yesterday and no response.
This bike has been in the shop (off and on) for a total of close to four months and the rest of the time sitting in my garage waiting to bring it back to the shop.
To put things in perspective, winter and spring has gone, I have had two bad bouts with a nasty flu bug. My wife has had a lumpectomy on her breast and is nearly finished with her radiation. Yet my bike still sits in the shop and I am kept out of the loop by the mechanic coming to be known as the "great communicator".
It was my plan this year to "Farkle " out the bike with some goodies but now I am not so sure. I have a late summer ride planed to see my brother in beautiful El Paso. From there, we can stand in his front yard and look down into Juarez where the bury all the bodies just west of Juarez, from the side of Mt. Franklin, and discuss international politics just like Sarah Palin. :huh: But even if I get the bike back I have lost confidence in the bike. It is only my hope that feeling will go away and things will be soon sorted out. I am hoping that I am alone in this and my situation is unique.
On the other hand, during better times, I was very pleased with the overall performance and was planning on upgrading the handlebars to hopefully make things a wee bit more comfortable, along with a GPS to help me find my way.
Well you have heard my rant and I hope Y'all have a good time riding this weekend. I'll just sit here and cough up a lung (the flu you know) :sick: and wait to hear what's up with my beautiful Norge. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I like it when I actually FIX a problem. :)

I like it when I ride with my friends and their expen$ive Big Dogs and BMW's and my old Guzzi gets all the attention. :D

I like it when I fall asleep at night thinking about a problem with the Guzzi, and wake up in the morning with a plan of attack. :p

Alex

Quite a bit actually.

I like riding my Sport. She feels alive, rocks about when idling, and when going for it she shimmies about from the torque reaction when shifting gears :cool: But the actual handling is planted and sure footed. She is the 1st bike I’ve owned that was fun at legal speeds, honest. I do enjoy just putting about on her too. Engine runs really well. Good fuel range. Comfortable. Went on holidays and did 2,000km no problems with either Guzzi.

Like her so much we acquired a 750 Breva for the above mentioned holiday which I also love riding. I almost prefer it to the Sport, until I get back on the Sport :) It’s funny after a week off the road the Sport felt huge and heavy after the Breva, but each day she feels like she shrinks and becomes smaller and lighter.

I also like how they look, so much so that I actually wash and polish them! None of my riding mates can believe it as my old triumph would get a wash once a year before she went in for a service just so it looked like I looked after her! I have been known to wash the Sport before going to work 3 days a week and use a spray on polish the other 2. She is black and shows up dust right away. But usually 2 washes a week and some polishing keeps me happy.

I like maintenance too. I’ve changed the oil. Had the tank off, almost, couldn’t undo the fuel connector :) Replaced rocker cover gaskets. All easy to do, well except for that “quick release” fuel connector

Of course none of the above is as much fun as complaining about my replacement muffler, November ’09 and still waiting and various other little niggles and stuff. But if I wanted a Honda I would have brought one.

Oh my favourite hobby is teaching little kids to say “It’s not a bike it’s a Moto Guzzi” when they come up to talk about the bike.

At this point I have nothing to dislike.

The only work I've had to do is regular maintenance which is a breeze compared to other bikes I've had.

The engine is fantastic.

The riding position is now just right for me.

I've got nothing else.

I've had my Norge for a bit over 3 years and until 2 months ago had absolutely no issues. Fabulous bike made even better by the addition of Todd's ECU mod and the PC-V/AT. Recently, the CARC started to leak oil. It turns out the CARC has been slowly self-destructing due to a factory assembly error (the locking washer was not set to lock the retaining nut so it came undone!). Following assistance from Peter Roper and my local Guzzi dealer it appears that MG will replace the CARC under warranty so all's well that ends well. I accept the fact that sh*t happens and MG is dealing with it appropriately.

Sure, the faring is fragile, the panniers leak a (very) little and I can't read the instrument panel in daylight but it has more character and presence than anything coming out of Japan. Handles like a dream and goes all day without missing a beat. And it's a great colour!

Regards

What isn't to like? I've had the Kawasaki Concours and BMW's and, good grief, the Victory Vision. All the while, there was a Moto Guzzi in the garage as well. A Victory guy once said that the Concours was a great bike but had no soul. The BMW's were also great bikes but essentially credit cards for dealers. BMW should give them away for free just for the privilege of selling parts and service. The Vision was a lumbering Lazy Boy with wheels.
I have some basic criteria for a motorcycle and the Moto Guzzi Norge fits the bill perfectly:
1. Less than 600 lbs.
2. Easy, easy, easy to maintain since I do all the work myself.
3. Be Unique. Most people have to look twice and ask three times to determine what it is.
4. Be able to maintain high speeds, cover very long distances, and not destroy my 61 year old body.
5. Be very, very pretty.
6. Be as capable as any bike out there and not be a liability on group rides.

I have added the Todd Power Commander, replaced the rear shock, modified the front suspension, added the SMK, a cruise control, a Zumo GPS, a custom seat, bar risers, and changed the windscreen. I have modified the windscreen buttons, upgraded the fuel tank disconnect, and put in an auxiliary power block. I bought the bike and did all of this for less than just the price of the BMW or the Vision and the savings on gas paid for the Kawasaki.

Breva 1100

As it left the factory I like everything but the sub 3-3500rpm running on the original map and having to mess around with the front brake bobbins to try and stop pulsing at low brake pressures (and I think this is a Brembo issue not Guzzi)

After 4 years i like the fact it hasn’t turned into a pile of rust , it hasn’t had any real problems and I can do simple maintenance myself.

For personal preference I’ve improved the front suspension ( but not the back) and I’ve fitted the PCV off Todd (great work – mapped for SoCal and worked just fine in colder wetter England)

Most of all I still really like riding it... did I mention looking at it

Art

I like that fact that I go riding and feel different, in the UK it's sports bikes or BM GSs (they seem to ride in wallets, the collective noun for BMs.. :lol: ).
People look at the Breva and double take because they don't know what it is.... But it's gorgeous looks always catch their eyes......
In 12000 miles and 2 trips 'en Continent' we've always arrived....
On one of our trips, I always used less fuel than the 2 BM GS mounted mates, especially when 'making progress'......
It's got a great characterful engine that LOOKS great.......
It's Italian and RED......
I suppose it's because when I open the garage door I smile, yes they can give you some infuriating issues, and I have had a few minor niggles, and some people have had torrid times with theirs, but mainly people are out riding, and these forums will always seem like wailing walls, but most folks ride 'em and like 'em!!
Yes, they aren't like the old Guzzis, but time moves on, and these bikes are the same, because they march to the beat of their own drum, not mainstream top speed/max power/eye popping wheelies, they make riding enjoyable, and that is what it's about....
Oh yes, on Wednesday I'm off to Tuscany for a week and stopping by the Factory gates and museum on the way back, to take her back home, I'm hoping she'll like that too.......

I bought my 2005 Breva 1100 in Aug 2008, it was 3 years old with 21000 miles on the clock. I had to have the oil seal and bearing replaced in the carc (I think it may have missed the recall) and a new set of clocks due to water ingress. Other than that it’s been totally reliable and never let me down. It's now got 31000 miles on the clock and I'm off to Prague in 3 weeks time on it.

It's always the bike that gets the attention when parked next to the Jap stuff, it sounds great, handles well even 2 up and I love the look of the engine. It's got more than enough power for the real world and looks like a motorcycle should, not covered in plastic panels hiding the engineering.

Would I have another one??? YES, YES, YES. It’s a Norge for me next, just waiting for the wife’s permission (and the bank).

Bronco_Breva.

Just got back from Prague and the Church of Bones, Kutna Hora. also rode the Grossglockner Pass in Austria. 10 days and 2700 miles, the bike was faultless, Fuel consumption 54mpg average. Oil 1/4 ltr. The bikes has now done 34500 miles, can't wait for next years trip to Italy.

Attachments

• Church Of Bones.JPG
    Church Of Bones.JPG
    583.5 KB · Views: 775
  • Kutna Hora.JPG
    Kutna Hora.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 775
If you think Guzzi forum posts are doom and gloom, check out posts on BMW.
I like the 2 valve engine, service is a breeze. Just want to fine an excuse to get out and ride.

The best thing I like about my present and past Guzzis has been the riding...the ergonomics have been great on all the Guzzis I've owned:
2000 Jackal
2004 Breva 750
2006 Breva 1100
2007 Norge 4V
2009 Griso 8V
2012 Norge 8V

I love riding a Guzzi. I also love the character--as others have said, it does turn heads when you go to a biker breakfast, or pull into a restaurant parking lot. Yet my current bike just doesn't give me the assurance that it'll get me home (2 failed oil pressure switches, shorted out sparkplug wires, blah blah blah). I do wonder if it's the new 8V bikes that have more issues than the older ones...?

Seriously---when they're reliable, they're GREAT bikes!

Bought a 1996 California 1100 Carb model for $1500 in 2010. By 2012 I had a 72 Eldorado, 04 Ballabio, two 98 Centauro's, two 98 EV's, and an 07 Norge. What do I like/love about them. MG only builds one kind of bike, a sport touring bike. But where along that continum you want to be there is a bike for you. The V11's are at the opposite end from the Cali's and Norges. Yet they all tour well, and handle better than one would imagine. They all have that great Italian styings, and the sound is pure Italian opera to me. Maintenance is a breeze for the most part. Yes there do have their quirks, and some claim parts are a pita to get but there are plenty of sources. Outside of my wife, nothing I have ever ridden have brought a bigger smile or a goofier look on my face than any of my Moto Guzzi's!

Back