• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

So what DON'T you like about your Stelvio?

Bluntly

Tuned and Synch'ed
We all wax lyrical about our bikes, we love 'em, they're great, the best...ect,ect. :D :D :D

But what DON'T you like about your Stelvio? :S

For me the list is very short.

1) I HATE the position of the sidestand, I'm forever kicking the bike into gear when i put it down :evil:

2) The back brake pedal is pathetic, a pigeon toed ballet dancer might have a tiny chance of getting their foot on it in a hurry but an average sized guy in boots and gear has no chance! :evil:

Fuel tank is MUCH too small.
Seat needs to be tilted back... I keep sliding forward.. and make it taller as well.
I wish the rear wheel was narrower to allow a wider range of tires.. (knobbies/ tourance/battlewing etc)

The gas tank could be larger. On both my Triumph Sprint and BMW R1200R there was both a little more fuel and better miles per gallon. It is not a big problem, but I find topping off the tank has become a higher/frequent priority on rides. The furthest I have pushed her was 160 miles and I was hoping not to wean her off gas prior to locating a station :lol:

Damn thing makes me want to go faster than any recent bike I have ridden (from BMW K's and R's, FJR's, etc.) due the friggin motor being such a source joy.

BTW, I like the Pirelli's, but agree tire choice could be better. I spoke with out local Michelin Tire guy the other day (he happened to be at Moto Nexus when I was getting the bike service done) and he has asked for an Anakee sized to fit our bikes. I mentioned to him the Pilot Road has sizes for us, but not the PR2 (rear only). I have used Conti Road Attacks with good results and they have our sizes too. Any other options you guys have tried?

It's been a crazy month, but still managed 1400 miles of fun and she just keeps running better and better with each mile. I adjusted the suspension a bit, the seat is comfy for me (however longest ride was only 400 miles with lots of gas stop/breaks :lol: ) so for now I am tracking loose screws (takes one to know one ?) as my biggest "problem".

Cheers

Fuel range. That's it!
Anything else I can easily mod. Although I got a pair of rotopax fuel cells to extend my range if I need them.

-Way to hard rear suspension
-Rear rim dimension
-No ABS
-Oil dip stick (need to dismantle the plastic protection before checking oil)
-Bad protection from both front and rear fenders (idiotic design gimmic)
-Just now: Don't stand a rainy day (misfires). Hope to get it fixed

And yes: I think a motorcycle should be ready from factory. I'm not willing to make ANY modification - that´s the factorys thing to do!!

Hey Leif :Dipstick comes out with out removing plastic cover, it just looks like it won't. Just grab and pull.
What don't I like? 1. Shitty Quality control!!! 2. Fuel tank could be bigger 3. rear rim could be narrower 4. Catalytic converter sheds way too much heat. 5. seat is sloped down at the front too much.
#s 2,3,4,5 are minor and mean nothing really. # 1 completely pissed me off for the first 5 months of ownership. Hopefully the issues are over. Otherwise I love the Big Bitch!
FBC

Shrike said:
Seat needs to be tilted back... I keep sliding forward.. and make it taller as well.

Not sure I follow on the seat tilt. Is there any chance your seat is set in the lower slots up front and the higher holes in the rear?
I could use a bit different shape to the foam in mine, and maybe a bit softer, but didn't notice any tilt issues.

Small fuel tank.
Poor headlight pattern scatters too much light on hi beam. Plastic headlight reflectors are melting, so don't dare up the wattage.

FrostBittenCanadian said:
Hey Leif :Dipstick comes out with out removing plastic cover, it just looks like it won't. Just grab and pull.
*SNIPP*
FBC

Sorry, not.
It's a threaded dipstick and the cover opening is so small and so high above the dipstick "handle" that it's impossible.

Leif: No kidding, sorry. Mine is not threaded it's just held in by two o-rings, assumed it would be the same.
FBC

A few items that could be improved on.
-Tank size is 18 ltrs., would like a 22 ltr. tank.
-Seat is sloped to much towards the tank, installed a air pocket pad to counter, $20.00, cheap fix.
-Rear tire selection limited by 5.5" wide rear rim, would like to see it same as BMW 1200GS.
-Windshield to low and narrow, replaced with after market item.
-Clutch pull is stiffer than it should be.
-Would like to be able to operate heated grip controls on the go rather than being stopped.
-Need a little work on the midrange, suspect a map upgrade in the future will help my bike.
-Fuel filler inlet was a huge pain, very very small and caused spills at ever fill up.Modified it and no longer an issue.
-MG needs to take a look at a 916 Ducati and redesign how they attach fairings, not friendly to remove
-Power outlet in tool tray is a poor location and should be relocated
-Glove box not required, cuts down on fuel tank size, comes open on the road, replace with a better tool tray system
-Is there a purpose to the two plastic covers on each side of the engine? If not delete.

In my mind all of these issues are small and the general design and uniqueness of the bike more than make up for them but if MG addressed some of them I would like it even more. Great, great bike!

Guzzi-Leif said:
-Way to hard rear suspension
-Oil dip stick (need to dismantle the plastic protection before checking oil)

All of then that I have seen are a pull out from the threaded piece. Just pull it out. It is a tight fit.

In my manual there is a "pull out" dipstick with a ring but in reality there is a big screw type with a small turning handle instead.
Strange!

Hi Gang
Lets face all minor niggles easily work round.
Now the early teething problems appear to be sorted we have got a bloody good bike.
Ok a larger fuel tank is No.1, But my arse is normally crying for a break before I have covered 178 miles(full to fresh air) :)
Old saying when touring fill up if you can? 100 miles on mountain 'b' roads a petrol break is usually needed.

Lief: all the early Stelvios had the screw dip stick, replaced during june 08.

Loftyjohn

loftyjohn said:
Hi Gang
Lets face all minor niggles easily work round.
Now the early teething problems appear to be sorted we have got a bloody good bike.
Ok a larger fuel tank is No.1, But my arse is normally crying for a break before I have covered 178 miles(full to fresh air) :)
Old saying when touring fill up if you can? 100 miles on mountain 'b' roads a petrol break is usually needed.

Lief: all the early Stelvios had the screw dip stick, replaced during june 08.

Loftyjohn

Thanks!
Found the spare part number and will (if Guzzi not have made a campaign of exchange) bye the alternative item.

Contrary to you; I think an expensive, wonderful motorcycle should be ready from the first day of selling. It is the factory, not the owner or seller, who have all the responsability.

Now that the great dipstick issue is resolved, back to the question -

Clutch pull is way too hard.
Could use another gallon.
Too much vibration.
Poor fuel injection below 4000 rpm.

Can't use ethanol blended gas - fixed
Seat slopes forward - fixed

That's about it.

Only got 100 mi on mine, so this is preliminary.

Rear wheel too wide.
Fuel filler opening too small - Billd, how did you modify?
Delete glovebox, replace with fuel volume.
Gas milage a little low.
Initial impression is its gear way too high, want to run in the tripple digits.
Heated grips should be controllable on the road. I'd rather have the aux light switch control them.

Boy have I enjoyed the first 100 mi, though.

Hello Kmartin, to modify gas filler spout just remove the filler spout assembly itself. You can do this all from the top of the tank once the filler lid has been unlocked and opened. The vent line and overflow lines are a bit of a pain to reconnect but no big deal. Once I had the black plastic filler spout off just took a hacksaw and removed the bit that acts like a funnel, it's shaped a bit like a bowl with a restricted outlet into the tank. Now the filler is the same size the whole way into the tank. Have not seen any downside to this mod and tank is much much easier to fill and not spill gas all over the outside of the tank.

Back