• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

So what DON'T you like about your Stelvio?

bigtex said:
Now that the great dipstick issue is resolved, back to the question -

Clutch pull is way too hard.
Could use another gallon.
Too much vibration.
Poor fuel injection below 4000 rpm.

Can't use ethanol blended gas - fixed
Seat slopes forward - fixed

That's about it.

How did you address the ethanol problem?

My own list is about lack of dealer support, and wondering if there will continue to be a Moto Guzzi to provide parts for my bike. As the proud (probably permanent) owner of a Buell Ulysses, this has become even more troubling.

Thanks Bill,

I'll take a look at it. The first time I filled up I was suprised, what a pain with Ca vapor recovery pump nozzles.

Don't tell our government about vapour recovery, its getting a lot like North Korea over here already,Gordon Brown more the dimwit leader than dear leader!
Back to the important stuff;-
I bought mine for two up touring, I know the engines still tight (just done 1st service) but the fuel light comes on at 105 miles and I put 17.1 liters in @ 139 miles. (Not riding like a loon, I've got a Suzuki for that.) It doesn't feel in tune at the moment and I've ordered a VDSTS from Todd so that I can tue it properly, hopefully this will improve but we don't need a glove box we need a bigger fuel tank. Also the seat is going to be done as my xmas present to me as it does slide you gently toward the tank all the time and is bloody uncomfortable after 200 miles (even with 8 million fuel stops to get there).
Don't regret buying it tho'!

I just did 167 miles and it took 4.3 US gallons, or 38 US miles per gallon. That was a combo with lots of low speed gravel, modest speed mountain roads and some high speed highway.

Wayne Orwig said:
I just did 167 miles and it took 4.3 US gallons, or 38 US miles per gallon. That was a combo with lots of low speed gravel, modest speed mountain roads and some high speed highway.

Almost exactly my type of riding and mpg results.

The seat works well for me so far, but I came off a BMW where stock seats are known to make the toughest of the toughest iron butt's cry for relief :lol: Bicycle shorts and riding pants help a bunch for any bike I've had.

Any possibilities those seats that are "sliding" people into the tank are on the high rear setting and resting on the lower front position? My riding pants are a bit grippier than jeans and I do squeeze the seat/tank with my knees while running down tight hills, but the Stelvio is a fairly flat-neutral platform.jmho

Generally I'm very happy with mine. There were a few minor problems at first, partly due to poor dealer PDI, this included headlights not alighned correctly, side stand too short (god only knows how that happened) and the speedo sensor packed in at 300 miles and again at 2600miles (in wet weather)
On a recent tour around northern Scotland it averaged about 45mpg during quite brisk riding,but I still think the tank could do with another few litres. I find the seat comfy enough for 300 mile days ( i have a fat a*se! :D )
The Trax (moto Guzzi) panniers are good but need to mount a couple of inches further back to give more pillion foot space.
So apart from crap local dealers, I'm pleased overall with the bike.

bobw said:
Any possibilities those seats that are "sliding" people into the tank are on the high rear setting and resting on the lower front position? My riding pants are a bit grippier than jeans and I do squeeze the seat/tank with my knees while running down tight hills, but the Stelvio is a fairly flat-neutral platform.jmho

I've been wondering that myself. Been too lazy to ask though.

I had the same issue with sliding forward on the seat.. now I have the seat front set above the high (doesn't actually hook) and the rear on the high spot. Works well for me.

The rear shock stinks, its very weak. I have totally worn mine out and the bike just turned 10K miles. According to the dealer it is not covered under warranty either. :angry:

I have destoried my plastic skid plate, knocked a small hole in my oil filter and torn my side stand feet off, welded new ones back on and then tore the side stand off the bike.

So far no one makes a heavier spring to replace the stock unit. I have found a place in GA (Traxxion Dynamics) that will rebuild (new heavier spring and revalve) the stock unit for $300. :eek:

I can't ride it two up so I might as well spend the money to send them the shock, guess I will be removing the shock on Turkey-day and boxing it up. :S

Kurt, don't waste your money on a spring, though I can offer one for $126+ shipping. I highly recommend either you get you a HyperPro for $589 or a YSS ranging from $709 with spring preload & rebound adjustment up to ~$899 for fully adjustable. Comments?

GT-Rx said:
Kurt, don't waste your money on a spring, though I can offer one for $126+ shipping. I highly recommend either you get you a HyperPro for $589 or a YSS ranging from $709 with spring preload & rebound adjustment up to ~$899 for fully adjustable. Comments?

Todd,

Sent you an email with concerns / questions.

Kurt

I wish it had a digital gear selection indicator- otherwise it is perfect! My FJR had a gear indicator and I got very accustomed to it.

When I first stated riding my Stelvio I thought, after 3 BMWs, I really needed a gear indicator, after 5000km I realise I don't, I enjoy being more tuned in the ride, worse case scenario is I occasionally try and make the odd upshift to 6th when I'm in it, always when I've come onto the highway quickly and have accellerated up through the gears quickly.
A local guy has one on his Stelvio and TBH I'm sorry to say I think it makes the bike's dash Fugly :roll:

Hi Gang
I'm with Blunty why would anyone want a gear position indicator :lol:

We have all got one, it's called EARS :lol:

IF your ears are poor use your eyes, take a look at your rev counter occasionally. :D

And if you have poor eyes, use your touch. Feel for the vibrations :D

It;s all there for FREE

Loftyjohn

I had a bike years ago that had a small light that showed that you were in the top gear. I don't see a point in letting you know you are in second or third or fourth or fifth. Your goal is correct engine speed, not what gear you are in. But the high gear indicator would save me from an occasional attempt to go into seventh gear. :oops:

After 40 years riding this is the most exciting bike I have ever owned. Not for performance, but it's style, it's beauty, it's sound, it's rarity, it's character, etc, etc....

Before the dealer put a Griso tune in it, the lumpy low-speed delivery was a pain. Fine now!

The Speedo's packed up. They replaced the rear wheel sensor, but the problem's still there. So we've ordered a new dashboard, but it's only been 6 weeks and Mandello's a long way away.....? Meanwhile I'm riding by guesswork staring at a 'SERVICE' warning and hoping I don't trip a speed cam!

I too had the weird sidestand/kick-into-1st-and-stall problem until I started to switch the bike off before I put it down. Second nature now.

The accessory plug is ridiculous in the rear tray!

The battery earth is vulnerable to damage by the seat lugs. (So be careful!)

The thing should have handguards fitted as standard. Now I have them, they're brilliant.

And that's it! My BMW GS riding friends are now parking on the other side of the car park and not speaking to me! Jealous for sure.

Guzzi rule - for style, anyway! (And ain't the new Ducati Multistrada 1200 engine UGLY!)

That its stuck in the garage 'cos its snowing again :( , the roads are covered in salt, ice, slush etc and I've got to go back to work on Monday after managing an hours ride in 10 days over the holiday period.

Back