• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Solution tyre noise Dunlop RoadSmart III 2009 Stelvio

Gerrit58

Tuned and Synch'ed
Bought me 2000 miles back a new set of RoadSmarts III. They are great in the rain and very good handling. Reviews are great but I had a lot of tyre noise at low speeds and open asphalt which was annoying and not present with the former Metzlers and before that Pilot Road 3. Coincidentally I made a new mud flap and had some rubber left over. Good thick quality (4mm) petrol/oil resistand. Since I hate the look into the dash and all wiring behind the steering I made from the remaining piece of rubber a flap/cover below the dash( see pictures) and guess what!! Tyre noise gone for >50%. It seems that the cockpit is amplifying road noise. Now I am really happy with the RoadSmart III.

I have a extended wind screen so maybe that is bad for road noise too but for anyone having lots of tyre noise try this (see pictures)

Attachments

• IMG_20160818_111117.jpg
    IMG_20160818_111117.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20160818_110758.jpg
    IMG_20160818_110758.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20160818_110213.jpg
    IMG_20160818_110213.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Lucky you in that we don't even have the RSIII's yet. Anxious to try them. I always wear earplugs or music, but to each his own to resolve noise issues. Thanks for posting!

Thanks Gerrit, I will be trying those next time, they had a good writeup in MCN over here and I've been on Michelin pilot road 2, 3 and 4s for too long.

Until and unless someone comes up with a tire that handles like my Pilot Roads (III and IV), and gets the 7000 mile rear/14,000 front mileage that I get (two up), I'm sticking with what I've got. I don't understand how anyone would even hear the tire noise anyway - in my case, my earplugs cut that out for me ... Once you degrade your hearing, even a little, you can never get it back ....

Lannis

MIchelin Pilot Road 3 is a good tire sure but is known to have punctures. the crown area is very thin and light and therefore sensitieve especially on all Road bikes. I had 2 punctures and friends had same experence. The RSIII is good too but my next tire set will be the Metzeler tourance next.

Until and unless someone comes up with a tire that handles like my Pilot Roads (III and IV), and gets the 7000 mile rear/14,000 front mileage that I get (two up), I'm sticking with what I've got. I don't understand how anyone would even hear the tire noise anyway - in my case, my earplugs cut that out for me ... Once you degrade your hearing, even a little, you can never get it back ....

Lannis
Nice. I've only managed 6,000 miles from (2 of) the PR4 rear (and thats the standard, not trail version). 9,000miles from the trail front.

Back