• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Some 850 T5 questions

Please re-set the float levels to the carb manufacturers recommended height .
Take care in using their exact metodology.
I say this because with Mikuni's the height is set with the carburettor inverted. It is very exacting .
Dellorto's may be a different method , John Zibell or Old Jock will definately have the answer for you.
Im pleased to have been able to help.
Regards Supaflee

john zibell said:
Setting float height instruction can be see here: http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/dell ... arburetors

It's on my list to do tomorrow. Thank you guys so much for your help with this.

I rode the bike about 50 miles last night. It revs straight to redline (with a soft limiter butting in around 6250 rpm...is that the Dyna?) and runs very well. So much power compared to when I first bought it. It looks like, once I set the float, I'll be able to ride it to work on Monday.

shabba said:
john zibell said:
Setting float height instruction can be see here: http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/dell ... arburetors

I rode the bike about 50 miles last night. It revs straight to redline (with a soft limiter butting in around 6250 rpm...is that the Dyna?) and runs very well. So much power compared to when I first bought it. It looks like, once I set the float, I'll be able to ride it to work on Monday.

The Dyna III has no limiter function. It takes a separate product from Dyna to have that capability.

john zibell said:
shabba said:
john zibell said:

The Dyna III has no limiter function. It takes a separate product from Dyna to have that capability.

So the bike has one? As soon as the tach hit 6250, it lost all power and then went right back to working. Rode it home like everything was normal. I've done that before on a bike so it wasn't alarming (the rev limiter).

Im real pleased your bike is going well for you . Is there any chance that the "soft " rev limiting would be valve bounce , seeing how there is no real limiter function in the Dyna 111( Ive got that ignition in my own bike )?
Whatta ya reckon JZ.?
Regards Supaflee

6200 rpm is low for valve float. It could be a lean/rich spot in the carb setup as I think that is near the transition for main jet only function. Perhaps raising or lowering the needle a notch could end the soft spot at 6250 RPM.

John, I think you're right. I rode all weekend and fooled around a little. When I roll on the throttle, it runs all the way to redline. When its sudden, i get the blip. Very much fuel induced...

shabba said:
John, I think you're right. I rode all weekend and fooled around a little. When I roll on the throttle, it runs all the way to redline. When its sudden, i get the blip. Very much fuel induced...

Normal response. You aren't getting too much fuel, you are getting too much air without fuel. You don't have CV carbs. With these carbs, you control the slide, not engine vacuum. The smoother you are with the right wrist, the better she will go.

If the T5 has the round slide carb, you could allow the accelerator pump to move more fuel, if the square slide it is not adjustable. That said, adjusting the pump is a tedious process. If you can get the performance you want with a smooth hand, go that route.

john zibell said:
shabba said:

Normal response. You aren't getting too much fuel, you are getting too much air without fuel. You don't have CV carbs. With these carbs, you control the slide, not engine vacuum. The smoother you are with the right wrist, the better she will go.

If the T5 has the round slide carb, you could allow the accelerator pump to move more fuel, if the square slide it is not adjustable. That said, adjusting the pump is a tedious process. If you can get the performance you want with a smooth hand, go that route.

I do indeed have the round slide (the carbs are Dellortos), but I think I'll learn the bike better before I try my hand at tuning the pump.

Now my new issue is the oil leak...or rather the leaks. I fixed the tachometer cable (the black housing was cut and oil was leaking through it) and now have leaks on the left side head and underneath the bike. I can't tell if the leak underneath is the oil pan gasket or something worse. The left side head is leaking about halfway up, where the valve cover gasket would be I believe.

Rode the bike to work today and it was great. What a beast.

Both the valve cover and pan gasket are maintenance items. Do a valve adjustment plus oil and filter change. Replace the gaskets and see if that stops the leaks. Do inspect the valve cover and head mating surfaces as well as the pan and block surfaces.

john zibell said:
Both the valve cover and pan gasket are maintenance items. Do a valve adjustment plus oil and filter change. Replace the gaskets and see if that stops the leaks. Do inspect the valve cover and head mating surfaces as well as the pan and block surfaces.

Ok. With that said, here is my next question. The bike is smoking somewhat from the right side cylinder. Now if you ask me what color, I would say a dark white color, my wife would say grey. I can't smell anything from the smoke so I can't tell if it's rich or if I am burning oil. The mileage of the bike says oil burning. It only does this when the bike is sitting still for a moment or two, not when I'm riding. When I do the valve adjustment, is there anything I should be looking for?

I assume the valve cover and oil pan gaskets are easily ordered?

I was able to identify the smoke from the bike. It's running rich. My wife and I went for a long ride Sunday morning. I changed the oil in the bike Saturday evening and it appears it was none too soon. An oil change brought about less drippage from the leaks, but it's still coming out. I need to get busy and order the new gaskets.

I'll dive into my guzziology to see about tuning the carb. It's smoking a little when I come to a stop, but not when I'm riding. Since I know it's running rich, what would be adjusted to prevent that?

First, make sure the float levels are correct. Since it smokes at idle, the idle circuit may be too rich. With the bike warmed up, turn in the idle mix screw until the engine falters, then open back up 1/2 turn. Do this for each carb and let us know if it makes any difference.

john zibell said:
First, make sure the float levels are correct. Since it smokes at idle, the idle circuit may be too rich. With the bike warmed up, turn in the idle mix screw until the engine falters, then open back up 1/2 turn. Do this for each carb and let us know if it makes any difference.

As soon as I get off work, I'll get on it. I did the float levels last weekend so I know they are good. It will give me a chance to ride the bike on a weekday other than for commute. :lol:

What color of smoke?
Blue smoke = oil. Black smoke = too rich.

Blue Smoke = rings and/or guides.

Black smoke = float levels, low compression (rings), poor adjustment/wrong jets installed.

Is it eating oil? Is there a lot of blowzy?

Chris R said:
What color of smoke?
Blue smoke = oil. Black smoke = too rich.

Blue Smoke = rings and/or guides.

Black smoke = float levels, low compression (rings), poor adjustment/wrong jets installed.

Is it eating oil? Is there a lot of blowzy?

Its white and it smells of fuel. Ive had a family emergency so the Guzzi has taken a backseat. Its not using oil that i can tell and it has only smoked after a long ride down the interstate followed by a leisurely stroll at a much lower speed. It smokes once and done, not continually.

[/quote] Its white and it smells of fuel[/quote]

[/quote]it has only smoked after a long ride down the interstate followed by a leisurely stroll at a much lower speed. It smokes once and done, not continually.[/quote]

White is oil (in cars it would be auto trans fluid sucked thru a bad vac modulator) and your description is typical of valve guides in automotive applications. You're still running rich & that may not be a bad thing.

Ride it and check your oil before &/or after each ride, smell the oil for fuel contamination & see how long it takes before the oil starts getting black. Pull the spark plugs regularly and see how they are doing. You can tell a lot about an engine this way.

Ride it & enjoy it until the cold weather sets in and have a set of gaskets on hand so you can pull one or both heads to look at the bores. If the bike had been sitting before you got it the chrome may be peeling in the jugs. If the jugs look good you can take the heads to a machine shop while they are off.

You've put a lot of time into this bike so start riding it.

Hope all is well with the family.
Trout

Its white and it smells of fuel[/quote]

[/quote]it has only smoked after a long ride down the interstate followed by a leisurely stroll at a much lower speed. It smokes once and done, not continually.[/quote]

White is oil (in cars it would be auto trans fluid sucked thru a bad vac modulator) and your description is typical of valve guides in automotive applications. You're still running rich & that may not be a bad thing.

Ride it and check your oil before &/or after each ride, smell the oil for fuel contamination & see how long it takes before the oil starts getting black. Pull the spark plugs regularly and see how they are doing. You can tell a lot about an engine this way.

Ride it & enjoy it until the cold weather sets in and have a set of gaskets on hand so you can pull one or both heads to look at the bores. If the bike had been sitting before you got it the chrome may be peeling in the jugs. If the jugs look good you can take the heads to a machine shop while they are off.

You've put a lot of time into this bike so start riding it.

Hope all is well with the family.
Trout[/quote]

Yes, white is indeed oil and that was what I initially thought. I got a good whiff of it the second time it happened and it was gassy smelling. Wistful thinking I know... Good advice and I'll follow it. The oil is still good and clean. Plugs are good too...since I got the bike running well, I've put almost a thousand miles on it so I've been able to monitor it fairly well.

I ride in cold weather, but I think I'll follow this advice and pull the heads. The bike has 63k miles and it has never really been sitting. The guy I purchased it from is an Italian lover and his other bike was a Ducati 888 that he bought new in the 80's. That bike had 50k miles on it so I know the Guzzi was ridden. I just hope the jugs are ok.

I had a weird moment when I got home last night (family issue is handled and it's ok, thanks for the thoughts). I've figured out that the left side leak is from the oil line on top of the head, but while looking at that, I noticed fluid leaking out of the inspection hole on the right side of the transmission. It's never done that...what in the world is that from? It's GL-5, not motor oil.

Back