Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Some words of encouragement.

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Garwood, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Garwood

Garwood Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Frequently on forums like this the main thing we see posted are problems people are having with their machines. I'd like to go a different route.

On May 24th, I bought a new 2016 Eldorado from Moto International in Seattle. It's one of their "Northwest Editions" with the California windshield and saddle bags. This is the second Guzzi I have bought from them and I'm a return customer because they are a NICE agency. They really seem to want happy customers, from my experience. I live in Wyoming so it's a 1,200 mile trip to get there.
    After I bought the bike, I immediately rode it the 1,200 miles back home. It was May and the weather wasn't perfect. When I reached my second overnight stop in Arco, Idaho, it turned into a 36 hour overnight stop as it started raining and I didn't feel like riding in it. So my nice new motorcycle spent it's second day as a member of my stable, sitting in a parking lot getting rained on for 24 hours. When the sun came out it started right up and I finished the ride to Wyoming with no issues. Well, one issue. The saddle bags leaked but I have been told that is a "Feature" on California Bags.
    Once home I fixed the saddle bag leak pretty simply. I bought a can of "Flex Seal" (as seen on TV) and sprayed the seams of the bags from the inside. Didn't even have to take them off the bike. Since then, no more leaks.
    On June 21st, I headed out to Northern Minnesota for the Minnesota State Guzzi Association Rally at Grand Marais. Again, I ran into rain. The Friday before the rally it started raining in the afternoon and I stopped in Ely, Minnesota. This time the bike only spent the night in the rainy parking lot. On Saturday I finished the ride to Grand Marais in intermittent rain. The bike ran fine. On Sunday, I had planned to leave but it really was raining so I spent another day in a motel looking out the window at the forlorn Eldo in the parking lot. 21 Lund's Motel, Grand Marias.jpg Finally on Monday the weather broke some and I headed over to Wisconsin for some sight seeing and then back to Wyoming. About 2,000 miles in 9 days. Of the 9 days I got 5 with either some, or a lot of, rain. Bike performed flawlessly and the bags didn't leak.
    On July 14th I headed out on the Eldorado for the International Norton Owners yearly rally. This year it was in Buena Vista, Virginia. To make a long story short, I put 3,800 miles on the bike in 10 days (only two days with rain). No problems. It started every time, got around 40 MPG, and ate up the miles.
    So I have had the bike for two months and in that time I have put just under 8,000 miles on it. It has been exposed to a significant amount of rain. So far, no trouble (just the leaking bags which were easily fixed). Not even the dreaded moisture in the instrument pod. Even the stock white wall tires are holding up very well. They have plenty of miles left in them.
    I know 8,000 miles is not a lot in the Guzzi scheme of things, but I think this is an auspicious start to what I hope will be a long relationship with this bike. I hope to get it up to 10,000 miles before the winter hits here.
    And by the way, between the Minnesota trip and the Virginia trip I installed Todd's full boat fueling package on the bike. Money well spent!!!
    Garwood.

bobw, MOLT, Vintagehoarder and 7 others like this.
  2. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Thanks for this!
    Wishing you a safe 10,000 + miles before the snow hits!

3. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Sounds like you're having an amazing summer (other than the rain). Many more happy miles to come.

4. Dale Baker

Dale Baker Cruisin' Guzzisti

Great write up, you just made my week. Safe travels.

5. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    Impressive ride report.

Next time you are in the Old Dominion, stop in and visit the Moto Grappa in Cross Junction. ;)

Bill

6. Eldo1400

Eldo1400 Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm jealous! I don't get to ride enough.

Yes, the Eldorado is a stout platform. Mostly the problems people have are annoying little glitches. Given how nice the engine runs I could see this bike going waaaay over 100k miles.

7. Vintagehoarder

Vintagehoarder Tuned and Synch'ed

I feel the same way about my California touring. I love that bike. About the same mileage and had nothing but great performance and fun out of it.

8. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Sounds like the trip to hell. I've retired from riding in the rain. Cold I can take - at least the level of cold you'd expect in coastal West Oz. But rain is out now for me.

Garwood, please tell me more about "Todd's full boat fueling package". I'm constantly seeking new and better ways of carrying more fuel.

9. Trout

Trout GT Reference

The fueling package is not for carrying more fuel.
    It is a "kit" that makes the bike run properly by adjusting fuel & ignition.

Todd can set the parameters according to any mods IE: Different muffler, hi flo air filter etc...
    to get the bike to run correctly.

If interested it's best to contact todd direct: Todd at guzzitech.com I think is his email.

Well worth the time & expense.

As far as carrying more fuel:
    Years ago we used to cut the fuel tank in thirds length wise & then weld in 1" or wider strips.

10. Garwood

Thanks to Trout for answering the fueling question.
    Regarding riding in the rain, since I retired I do my best to avoid riding in the rain also. That is why I was holed up in motels on two different occasions since buying the Eldorado. But when it starts when I am already going down the road, or in the middle of some trip with destination date already established, I don't have much choice. But I watch the weather forecast closely, don't leave home when it's actively raining, and alter routes when possible to avoid the wet stuff.

11. Curt Russell

Curt Russell Tuned and Synch'ed

I'm with you Garwood. Sometimes you just can't avoid the rain. Funny thing... I wonder if others are like me. I can ride all day in the rain and then feel the necessity to cover my bike at the hotel. Just can't bare the thought of it getting rained on with out me.

Trout and GT-Rx® like this.
  12. John L

John L Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I don't mind riding in the rain if I have to but it's a pain in the arse cleaning the bike afterwards. On this trip had three continuous days of rain and bike sat outside motel rooms the 2 nights in between while it bucketed down, never missed a beat. wet.jpg

bobw likes this.
  13. rslezak

rslezak Just got it firing! GT Contributor

I did the fly and ride with Moto Int. and drove my Cal Touring back to New England without a single issue. The Guzzi ran perfectly, I did hit some pretty inclement weather along the way. Rain in the NW to extreme heat in the Valley and then on to some snow in Flagstaff. Before I left Seattle I purchased a Nelson Rigg half cover, it takes up no storage space to speak of, now when it rains I can cover the bike and know its high and dry underneath ... I highly recommend Moto International, I only wish they were closer. My local dealer sells about a half dozen different brands and they are nowhere near as friendly as Dave and his crew were to me. They'll even pick you up at the airport and take you to your lodging...

IMG_20160501_135245.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    groundhog105, John L and GT-Rx® like this.
  14. Garwood

Moto International and GuzziTech are an unbeatable combination for a positive Moto Guzzi owning experience.

Dave at MI really does make you feel like he is a friend trying to make buying a new bike a good experience. He didn't pick me up at the airport but he did pick me up at the ferry terminal! And it's not just Dave. The entire staff is friendly and helpful.

Todd at GuzziTech is incredibly knowledgeable and responsive. He sells quality products and services, never leaves you on your own, and is very generous with his time and know how. I always feel confident and comfortable dealing with GuzziTech.

If only the rest of the motorcycle industry could be like Dave and Todd...........!

Trout, Robert Gibson and john zibell like this.
  15. rslezak

rslezak Just got it firing! GT Contributor

In no way did I mean to leave out the rest of the Moto staff, they were all great! - I almost want to buy a new bike every couple of years just to have similar experiences. If there's to be a next time I can apply the lessons learned to enhance the overall experience. Either way, they're a class act, I only wish there was a Guzzitech or equivalent on the east coast somewhere. If there were, I'd be in striking distance for a performance upgrade, but as of now I'll have to enjoy the bike as is.

IMG_20160429_160228.jpg

Trout likes this.
  16. Garwood

IMG_20141218_151723_333.jpg Death Valley! One of my favorite places. Already have my reservations for the first week of December!

17. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

I have used the same product for many years. It is easy to put on, easy to take off and easy to roll up and pack away.