• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Sore Throttle Hand

Mayakovski

GT Reference
GT Famiglia
Road 250KM yesterday, pretty much first time riding for many, many years. Went for a short blast tonight and after about 5 minutes my throttle hand was killing me. I tried changing my grip and such, but to no avail.

Is that normal?
Maya

Yep sounds about right. Gripping too tight. I have the same problem and changed bars to slightly higher with a little more pullback to help. Its better but time on the bike is the answer for me.

try a cramp buster . just clips on the throttle grip and allows you to relax your grip without loosing control.
cost about £10

Search on eBay

Last edited:
"... first time riding for many many years..."

Yes, it's to be expected. You're gripping the throttle too tightly and you're body has to re-learn how to be when riding, your musculature needs time to get strong again and let you relax, etc. I went through the same thing when I returned to riding last Summer after an absence of 15 years or so.

Give it time, Ride often and let your body remember before you start changing things. Because the one thing I found from my own experience that I think will be true for anyone is that first impressions are going to change with time and accommodation when you're returning from being away from riding for a long time.

First time I got onto Racer, knowing the seating position was identical to my LeMansV and sportified 850T that I rode for so long, the first thing that hit me was, "OMG, those bars are so low! and so far away!" It took 500 yards on the bike before my body began to remember... And then I knew it was right.

When I get onto Racer now, half a year later, it feels totally natural from the first moment: like it was made for me. :D

G

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas folks. Went for a ride tonight, was very conscious of grip and hand position and it was much, much better. I think I was just holding on too tight and needed to relax my grip. A little stressful as I am not yet used to Silky's twitchy throttle. Quite abrupt from on to off, so if I accelerate a bit to hard, and then let off too quick I get jerked backwards and then forwards. Once I get smoother it will be easier.

......I am not yet used to Silky's twitchy throttle. Quite abrupt from on to off, so if I accelerate a bit to hard, and then let off too quick I get jerked backwards and then forwards. Once I get smoother it will be easier.

When you do Todds fueling mod that will solve this issue.

You may also want to check out a product called "Grip Puppies".
They are a foam sleeve that slips over the hand grips.
They absorb a lot of the vibration but also increase the diameter so you don't have to grip so tightly.

Different grips—diameters, grips, materials, patterns, devices, etc—work for different people. It has been customary for me over the many years to immediately trash the manufacturers' grips as totally unsuitable and painful, replace them with grips I selected that work well for me. But I have to say that the stock V7III grips I'd never even thought about: I had to look at them specifically in another conversation because they just fit me, feel good, and work. This is the best situation I can think of far as grips are concerned! :)

What makes the V7III throttle feel "twitchy" is that it's really a very fast throttle ... a hair less than a third of a turn from fully closed to fully open ... along with the fact that the V7III engine is a revvy little machine. I found with some accommodation time riding it that it feels twitchy and snatchy when I wasn't revving it enough, it was falling out of the power band too far and not giving me any throttle to work with for engine braking, steering dynamics, etc, at slower speeds. As soon as this became cemented in my head, I started keeping the revs up, preferably over 3500 rpm, and using the range from 4000 to 6000 rpm. Then it's smooth and the drivetrain works far better. (It's harder to work it smoothly if you're on break-in and trying to keep the revs under 4500 rpm, of course.)

When you do Todds fueling mod that will solve this issue.

They absorb a lot of the vibration but also increase the diameter so you don't have to grip so tightly.
Thanks Trout;

I ordered the ECU Box yesterday, so that will make a big difference I know.
Thanks for the suggestion of the Grip Puppies.

don't want to sound like a broken record, but did you set up your levers to suit your wrist position?

Even a slightly up/downward resting position can make your wrist sore.

Also, yes, grip lightly...

Do you what the OD Outside Diameter) of the stock handlebar is? I want to make sure the Grip Puppies with fit OK before ordering them.
Thanks

Back