Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Spark Plug Boot hassels

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by pnguzzi, Apr 20, 2010.

1. pnguzzi

pnguzzi Cruisin' Guzzisti

Just had the bike serviced a couple of weeks ago and the tech managed to damage the spark plug boots! The shop was unaware that Guzzi makes a removal tool!! $175 ouch :evil: One of the plug boots failed last weekend on a trek, out with the silicone and electrical tape, saved the trip.
    Seems like they like to micro split right at the 90 degree bend, and it certainly is not visible until its to late. Has anybody come up with a removal method, aftermarket tool or alternative spark plug boot?
    Thanks

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I think Pete R. suggests that after the boot is removed (with the special tool or very carefully) tie a string to it for easier removal the next time.

3. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

NGK SB05E plug caps solve the problem.

Pete

4. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

Figure this one out.

The original spark plug boot had three sealing rings around it.
    The updated boot only has two sealing rings around it. Should be easier to pull out, but it really isn't.

BUT, the head design allows water, dirt and bug to go directly in the head into the spark plug hole. There is no need for the sealing rings, which just make it difficult to unplug the caps. :roll:

This occured to me this past weekend when I washed the bike. No start. Pulled the cosmetic covers, and there is a little swimming pool of water on top of the plug cap. If the seals were not there, it would not have been a problem because the water would drain away from the spark plug easily.

I'm cutting them off.

5. kwn306

kwn306 High Miler

Pete,

I did a google search and these are not in the US only in Europe but they come in two different colors (Red or Black). Since I have the faster red model should I spring for the red cap? These pull off of the spark plug OK? They are not a 90 deg angle, no problems with fitment with the Stelvio's beauty covers?

Speaking of beauty covers, lost one of the buttons that covers the screw that holds the beauty covers down, just ordered a replacement from my dealer............$11.50 USD ea, that's stupid money for a little rubber cap.

6. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

7. pnguzzi

pnguzzi Cruisin' Guzzisti

I am confused... :eek: are you saying that there is a drainage hole below the seal rings? Meaning if the water gets past the seal rings it has the ability to drain and not short the plug. I would have thought the purpose of the seal rings was ... stop water from reaching the plug and shorting it out..

8. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

There is a drain hole. The Caps are also sealed. I have no idea why they went for such a complex and failure prone design.

Yes the SB05E's fit. Why would I of suggested them if they didn't? What does it matter what colour they are? You can't see them!

As for the badges? Yes, they wash off. Answer? Glue 'em on with a bit of silastic.

The original caps are delicate but it is possible to remove them, with care, and I've taken to using rubber grease on the sealing rings to make them easier to remove next time.

Pete

9. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

Drainage hole nothing. There actually is a very large passage (cooling hole?) from the front near the exhaust to the back near the intake. Rain water passes directly to the spark plug. (not a problem with a good cap). But certainly no need for a fancy sealed cap. I'm pretty sure there is also a drain hole out the side. (very complex casting indead)
    Which also means, when you go to take out the spark plugs, make sure you clean out the spark plug cavity very well before removing the plug, unless you want to get all of those bugs and sand into the cylinder.

10. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

Is there? I hadn't noticed that? (Scratches head!) I'll go and have another look at the head I have on the bench. Not sayin' yer wrong. Just that I hadn't noticed it but I'm pretty thick! :D There is definitely a drain hole out the side. I always give the plug-ole a good blow out wiuth compresed air before taking the plug out. All sorts of horrible griblies get in there!

Pete

11. Guzzi-Leif

Guzzi-Leif Tuned and Synch'ed

Cost: Low
    Function: Good

Attached Files:

• hatt.JPG
      hatt.JPG
      File size:
      78.7 KB
      Views:
  12. kmartin

kmartin Cruisin' Guzzisti

13. nomad

nomad Tuned and Synch'ed

top tip Guzzi-Leif appreciate that ;)

My Stelvio has been running like a dog below 2k revs on inspection I noted my left plug sparking against the head - I removed the plug cap and cannot see any damage but I am 1k since last service so suspect dealer buggered my cap. I have taped it over for a temp fix and intend to order a set of NGK SB05E to solve this problem for the future thankyou for the suggestion (should have known really as with all my bikes in the 70's and 80's the 1st thing you did was put NGK plug caps on)

Quick qusetion before I order do I need screw or nut type ? and how do I remove old cap with out damagng the lead ? I know sadly I am not so mechanically competent but can learn.