Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Spark plug covers '13 V7

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by francod123, Jan 4, 2014.

1. francod123

francod123 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Any new developments on this Todd?

2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Initial investigations show it to be to costly to produce in machined aluminum. I haven't given up yet. More as I have it.

3. Italyrider

Italyrider Just got it firing! GT Contributor

I too hate plastic. Eventually plastic does become brittle. I'd like a metal replacement that looks like
    the stock item - and YES, I would buy a metal replacement.

4. francod123

Sounds good, keep us posted with cost/potential price because I think a lot of us here would pay for a nicely machined piece.

5. cytocycle

cytocycle Cruisin' Guzzisti

I would buy a pair with the slider for my 2013 v7.. so count me in
    Chris

6. small_block_man

small_block_man Just got it firing!

I am wondering if the stock '13 valve covers could be modified? The stock covers have a "mushroom" skirt of extra metal.
    Sand blast the cover to reveal the aluminum, remove the excess metal back to the gasket shape all round and reveal the spark plug wires in their stock position by taking excess material from that area. Shape, radius and polish, find cover bolts that complete the look you are seeking. Put head guards on under the reshaped covers. Too funky?

7. bigtex

bigtex Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

The advantage of having a Racer - bling is good!

[​IMG]

8. tonUPRacer

tonUPRacer Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Nicely done Big Tex, Homemade CF? Are you selling those bits or where did you get them done? You can't just tease us with photos!

9. cytocycle

cytocycle Cruisin' Guzzisti

+1 what he said - Tease..

10. bigtex

Oh, but then I would have to give up my secrets...

So, the reality is somewhat mundane, but it might give you some ideas. Those are stock metal and plastic parts "wrapped" in 3M vinyl wrap. I had some left over "carbon fiber" look vinyl pieces and wondered what it might look like to wrap some detail parts. They are very, very convincing, even up close! I'm happy.

11. bigtex

12. tonUPRacer

tonUPRacer Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

hey now, faux CF very sneaky! No issues with heat on that vinyl wrap? It certainly had me fooled. I go back and forth whether I'd put a "modern" material like CF on a bike that is supposed to be more "retro", but I must say they look good! Thanks for the ideas!

13. francod123

Any development on this Todd, the spark plug covers and slider/protector?

14. sturgeon

sturgeon Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

On my recent 4,000 km trip, I found that the black plastic covers on my '14 V7S would gradually start to lift (at the wider end), presumably from vibrations. They didn't actually pop off, but I worried that they might. I don't mind the look of the plastic ones in general, but I'd be interested in (black) metal replacements if they were demonstrably more secure than the OEM ones.

15. fireflyr

fireflyr Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I got rid of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd rather look at the intake and plug wire.

16. francod123

I did the same thing but still I'd want to close them up again...just not with that cheap plastic that came with it. With the covers off it just looks like something is missing there and wanting to be filled in, that's my only gripe.

17. Lee77

Lee77 Just got it firing!

Same here on my '13 V7S, I keep pushing the spark plug covers back in position after each ride... I would be very interested in metal replacements if they would be more secure. Polished ones would maybe look nice...?