• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Speedo Sensor Fix

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Repost by Steve B:
Since several of us on the GuzziTech site seem to have fallen victim to the Speedo sensor gremlin (mostly on Grisos), I thought I'd have a crack at finding a longer-term solution. I've not written this as a specific 'How-to', though it'd be easy enough to replicate the process.

To start with I've worked with the premise that the Hall effect sensor electronics are basically sound, more often than not (In my experience), failures of this type are a result of a process failure (Assembly). The store I bought the bike from was kind enough to let me experiment with a couple of defective sensors they'd amassed, plus a brand new replacement for my second failed unit. So I began looking at the body of the sensor under a microscope, probing where moisture might be getting in.

SBSpeedoSensorPic1.jpg

Firstly the cable entry point seems (As several have said), a likely candidate and as you can see from the 2nd picture there is a gap into which water could pass through. What the shot doesn't show is there doesn't seem to be any form of protection in this area other than the glue/conformal coating around the wire sleeve exit on the inside of the sensor body. You would have thought they'd have filled the bore of the hole with something to seal it?

SBSpeedoSensorPic2.jpg

SBSpeedoSensorPic3.jpg

Secondly the rubberized epoxy the manufacturers have used to cover/seal the PCB into the sensor case has not bonded sufficiently to prevent moisture ingress.
As you can see from the following two shots I used a jeweler's screwdriver to test the bond between the two surfaces, could open a gap between the two materials with very little pressure applied. What I found disturbing with both test samples was that approximately a third of the overall circumference had not bonded the surfaces adequately. Viewing the gap under high magnification I found moisture droplets in-between the two surfaces, though they evaporated quickly under the warmth of the lights.

SBSpeedoSensorPic4.jpg

Next I gently prized out the rubber epoxy, without damaging the PCB, was surprised at how cleanly it came away from the sensor case, without any tearing. As you'll see in the following pics, note the smooth internal walls of the sensor case (second pic below). This is what I suspect is the cause of all the trouble, the fact that the walls of the sensor case have NOT been scored to enable a good bonding surface.

SBSpeedoSensorPic5.jpg

SBSpeedoSensorPic6.jpg

I debated whether to pull the PCB right out of the case, decided against it since the risk of damaging the circuit board/magnet/cable was quite high., bearing in mind the sensor is about the same size as a postage stamp. So at that point I decided to dry it out thoroughly in an environmental chamber @ 50C for 4 hours. I used a chamber rather than a conventional household oven, or a hairdryer simply to maintain a consistent temperature, to be pretty sure all of the moisture had been expelled.

Applying the fix

Since the walls of the sensor case were essentially smooth they needed a good roughing up to allow a good bond, so I broke out a needle file and scored the internal walls thoroughly, also lightly scoring around the entry point of the cable sleeve. I decided on a second application of conformal coating, since, on pulling out the rubber epoxy a small amount of the CC came away on its removal. I also wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be an air gap around the edge of the PCB and the case wall + sealed the internal end of the wire sleeve, since in theory moisture could travel (Internally), down to the sensor if the wire sleeve got damaged. Once that had been applied with a small artists brush, had let that dry I could now mix up and pour the two part epoxy I'd chosen.

SBSpeedoSensorPic7.jpg

As you can see from the shot (Sorry I had to use my phone camera), having mixed up the two-part epoxy and poured it carefully into a syringe I could refill the sensors and lay a bead around the cable entry point.

SBSpeedoSensorPic8.jpg

The only thing to make sure of when filling them up is to do it in a way that will NOT allow for any air-gaps, or spaces. Once full it was just a case of laying down a strip of double-sided sticky tape on a flat surface, pressing the sensor firmly to the tape and let the curing process begin. I could have put them in the oven again to speed the process, but according to the instructions would have invited some shrinkage in the mixture. So I let them dry out naturally for several days.

SBSpeedoSensorPic9.jpg

You can see in the final shot the overall result.

SBSpeedoSensorPic10.jpg

Results

I've now fitted one of the sensors to the bike, have tested it in wet weather conditions, taken to the back roads for vibration tests and given the bike a good hosing down, during cleaning sessions and I'm happy to say no hint of a failure as yet.

*Note* This article is the result of some experiments by the author, will not accept any liability for faults/accidents/wrath of deities, etc incurred by anyone else attempting this fix, i.e. If you mess it up... Don't blame me! :p
I only say this as this is a public forum, we seem to sadly live in an age of litigation culture.

Terrific article but I have one small critique. You start with the sensor off the bike!

I was a little concerned about how difficult it would be to remove but Griso owner "Uncle" set me straight: All it takes is a 3mm T-handle.

Roll the bike forward until you can see the sensor from the exhaust side:

SpeedoSensorFix1.jpg

Get your T-handle snug and square. You don't want to strip them.

SpeedoSensorFix2.jpg

Sensor is free, I used a dab of silicon where the wire goes into the sensor. If I have more problems I will get more serious.

SpeedoSensorFix3.jpg

Great work Todd!
When you get down to analysing failures instead of just throwing parts at a problem, you make tremendous gains in reliability.

Any so caler's that want the same process todd described, but done in a vaccuum chamber done, let me know. I could do a batch of 20 with the appropriate epoxy under a vacuum chamber which would suck the sealant into all the voids, and likely be even more reliable
cheers

I recently received a new speed sensor and was told that Guzzi have the improved the build of speed sensor and is supposed to be better in the wet.

Turtleman said:
I recently received a new speed sensor and was told that Guzzi have the improved the build of speed sensor and is supposed to be better in the wet.
Is it already on the bike? I'd be curious to see if the wire entrance and bottom look any different then the one at the top. If it's not mounted, can you snap a few photos to post?

Just saw this thread. Nice fix.
If you ever have a completely removed sensor from its case please post a photo of the other side of the PCB.

The center metallic piece is the magnet and in front of it (other side of the PCB) there should be attached a 3 pin flat transistor alike hall sensor (the 3 pins of which can be seen soldered at the bottom of the photo by the entrance of the cable).
Other smd stuff suggest probably a 5 volt open collector output to GND type.
If there is a close up of the hall sensor semiconductor itself we can lookup the numbers and see if it is a single or differential type sensor.

As an addendum to this. My sensor on my pink Grisoin the US went out due to moisture and after it had dried out we dipped it in a big can of an aerospace dialectric varnish called Glyptol I believe that Jon had a big can of at home due to it having gone past its use by date.(They are very anal about such things in aerospace and Jon says it is cheaper to get a new can rather than re-certify it after a year.) This stuff IS expensive, about $300 a can apparently but it worked splendidly sealing the unit completely with just a dipping. Alowed it to dry overnight and bob's yer uncle!!!!

Pete

Seems the most important part to waterproof is where the wires enter the sensor. I've done several in place, with no issues to date.

I remember being told that this part had been redesigned?
True?

Not academic, my third (!) one is shot and needs replacing so I need to know if I have to
waterproof it prior to installing.

And one of the allen heads is stripped. Yay.

Not so simple a job to remove the speed sensor on a Bellgio, cant get to it with the wheel on because the exhaust is in the way. Anyway, just replaced mine (Or my mechanic did.) He had to remove the exhaust and the back wheel to get to it. He coated the wiring and the sensor with silocone to prevent problems. ) Speedo working reliably now in torrential Monsoon rains. Unfortunately, it seems that while removing the exhaust mufflers, he put too much strain on one and a crack has opened up in the muffer where the fixed/welded in nut is, that holds the pipe to the bracket.

Hate that!

But on a brighter note,.......................

Ain't she goregeous?
P1020113_zps8jonwnik.jpg

What was the original problem? Picking up an '07 Griso next week. Bouncing numbers all over the place at low speed, then stable when you get going. Fairly high mileage. Lots of rain up here in the NW. The selling dealer is investigating before I go get it. This is most likely the issue I suspect, so if he does not find anything unusual (he is good), I'll look into this.
One more for the bucket list....and maybe time for a new avatar

Greetings; I'm facing the Demon of ABS and Speed sensor failures on my 2013 Stelvio. The article reposted by Steve B is great (thanks Todd, as it seems to originate from you) but WHERE ARE THE PICTURES PLEASE? They would really replace 1000 words..I have checked the fuses and removed/cleaned the sensors, as well as reset the whole system, but still neither speed nor ABS (speed is a major problem as I'm headed to Quebec and they have photo speed traps everywhere).
Grazie mile, e belle strade a tutti!

Back