• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Speedometer way too high!

arfingdog

Tuned and Synch'ed
An above freezing day presented itself, so I decided to take my new to me 2018 Milano out for its first ride, just 10 miles or so. All great, except that the speedometer was consistently reading 25 or 30 mph too fast! Meanwhile, the odometer and trip meters recorded reasonable, apparently correct, mileages. I didn't think to look at the speedo while stopped with the bike running until I got home, where I saw that it showed 25 mph while stopped. I turned the bike off and the indicator stayed at 25. When I turned it back on, it went through it's startup sweep and ended back at zero.

Anyone seen this before?

An above freezing day presented itself, so I decided to take my new to me 2018 Milano out for its first ride, just 10 miles or so. All great, except that the speedometer was consistently reading 25 or 30 mph too fast! Meanwhile, the odometer and trip meters recorded reasonable, apparently correct, mileages. I didn't think to look at the speedo while stopped with the bike running until I got home, where I saw that it showed 25 mph while stopped. I turned the bike off and the indicator stayed at 25. When I turned it back on, it went through it's startup sweep and ended back at zero.

Anyone seen this before?
It's happened to me once. Said I was going 80 when I was doing around 45. Turned it off at a stop light and it went back to normal

Ignoring it isn't going to work apparently. Rode for 7 miles and speedometer was fine. Stopped for coffee. It seemed fine starting out for home, but when I got on a stretch of highway and decided to accelerate a bit, revving up to maybe 6K in each gear, the general red warning light came on and flickered before each shift. After that, the speedo was 15 mph high until I shut the bike off at a light and then restarted. All good the rest of the way but I accelerated in a more leisurely fashion and no warning light. So the wacked out speed indicator appears to be a symptom but maybe more is going on.

Ignoring it isn't going to work apparently. Rode for 7 miles and speedometer was fine. Stopped for coffee. It seemed fine starting out for home, but when I got on a stretch of highway and decided to accelerate a bit, revving up to maybe 6K in each gear, the general red warning light came on and flickered before each shift. After that, the speedo was 15 mph high until I shut the bike off at a light and then restarted. All good the rest of the way but I accelerated in a more leisurely fashion and no warning light. So the wacked out speed indicator appears to be a symptom but maybe more is going on.
Check if your battery connectors are loose. This has also happened to me overlooking loose battery connectors

Aha...thanks @Hippo-Drones! I didn't even know that existed (just got the bike!). And I see that going over will actuate the general warning light. I suspect it is still set to 4500 for the initial run in. Now, that doesn't explain why encountering that warning should mess up the speedometer, but it's a start. Oh, and the battery connectors are fine @Louisv97...They were already tight but I snugged them up the other day when going over my "new" bike.

My Breva 1100 will consistently read high when ever the dash is left in direct sunlight, anywhere from 10km/h to 70km/h, turning the ign on/off will drop it about 15k each time. done it since 2007

Just wanted to give the final report on this. Thanks to all for your suggestions. Special thanks to @Hippo-Drones for pointing out the rev limit setting and associated general warning it produced. I set the warning above the cutout value--so, no warnings--and today was finally able to go for a ride to test, since the streets were clear of salt and it was a balmy 41F. 🥶 Anyway, no warnings and no speedo problem. Hooray!

This does leave untouched the apparent glitch where the rev warning causes the speedo to lose its mind, but I don't need to solve that. Now, if someone wants to set their rev limit value low and then bring on the warning, I can find out if it's just my bike (2018) or a general issue, but not required.

Back