• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

SPEEDS CYCLE?

roadventure

GT Reference
I drive past SPEEDS CYCLE in Elkridge, MD on my way to work. Recently I have noticed very few bikes on the floor (from a drive-by view) and accessory displays, etc. being taken away.

For those of you who know, what is going on? Are they closing up soon? Do they have a new location and are in the process of moving?

What's up?

I have not been by lately, but knowing Speed's I would guess they are lightening up their inventory for the winter. They are not a big shop and likely can't afford to carry a lot of inventory over the winter. Plus, they are waiting for the 2015's, they don't want to be stuck with any leftover 2014's.

Just my best guess from knowing them for years. Next time I am by there I will stop in and talk to them.

any word on this? their website now lists only moto guzzi, harley repair, and BMW service...no longer a link for ducati or mv agusta bikes in stock.

Okay gang. I stopped by Speed's Cycle yesterday afternoon on the way home from work. I spoke with Speed, the owner.

He tells me that the business is now located in the shop area only. They service H-D, Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW and sell used bikes only. You can still order and buy parts as needed.

The front (showroom area, offices, etc.) is for lease by the building owner.

The primary reason for the change in the business is that Ducati contacted him about the 2015 model year motorcycle order and required that he buy a minimum of thirty motorcycles. He said that he could not extend the dealership that far financially so he told them "no". Ducati told him that he was no longer a dealer. So, he is no longer a dealer for all motorcycles sold by the parent company, AUDI (AUDI owns Ducati as of 04/2012).

He did say that he was still a Moto Guzzi dealer, but with no showroom and only two "leftover" 2014 bikes I am not so sure about that.

Speed told me that he is essentially, in the business sense, the same place he was in 1974 when he started up. That is, an independent service shop.

Looks like, if I need warranty service, it is going to be a trip to Pennsylvania or Virginia

60 miles to Europa Macchina
95 miles to Fast By Ferracci
138 miles to Winchester Motosports

"fuck me......."

Last edited:
Okay gang. I stopped by Speed's Cycle yesterday afternoon on the way home from work. I spoke with Speed, the owner.

He tells me that the business is now located in the shop area only. They service H-D, Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW and sell used bikes only. You can still order and buy parts as needed.

The primary reason for the change in the business is that Ducati contacted him about the 2015 model year motorcycle order and required that he buy a minimum of thirty motorcycles. He said that he could not extend the dealership that far financially so he told them "no". Ducati told him that he was no longer a dealer. So, he is no longer a dealer for all motorcycles sold by the parent company, AUDI (AUDI owns Ducati as of 04/2012).

He did say that he was still a Moto Guzzi dealer, but with no showroom and only two "leftover" 2014 bikes I am not so sure about that.

Speed told me that he is essentially, in the business sense, the same place he was in 1974 when he started up. That is, an independent service shop.

Looks like, if I need warranty service, it is going to be a trip to Pennsylvania or Virginia

"fuck me......."

unfortunately this is our business word today. no distributor or mfg can afford to do business with the smaller accounts. the truth is there is no money to be made by a small dealer selling bikes anyway.

"fuck me......."
Seems that, while sad to hear, it means you can still take your Guzzi to his shop for warranty service if required.
If you own a Ducati you can take it to Devin Battleys shop in Gaithersburg, but I would take a Ducati to Donnie Ungers shop in Winchester.
Perhaps at some point in he near future Speeds will lose Guzzi as well, and that would be a shame. But They have not been big on Guzzi in a while, perhaps this will actually result in them getting back behind Guzzi instead of it being the red headed step child there.
I know Speed, he is an interesting character, and I hope things work out for him.
I think the best way to fix my Guzzi is typically to do it myself.

I know Speed, he is an interesting character, and I hope things work out for him.
I think the best way to fix my Guzzi is typically to do it myself.

I am new to Moto Guzzi, but do prefer to do my own work when possible. Speed did seem a bit pissed off with motorcycle manufacturers in general, and I can't blame him. But you do have a point. Maybe if he gets support or cooperation from Moto Guzzi it will be something for him to get behind.

unfortunately this is our business word today. no distributor or mfg can afford to do business with the smaller accounts. the truth is there is no money to be made by a small dealer selling bikes anyway.

I am afraid this is probably true. Speed also said he never made much from SELLING bikes. He made his money off parts and service.

I worked 20 years in the Honda motorcycle business. I can't say exactly when but the margins on the bikes started getting cut but it was a long time ago and little by little they whittled it to where I know we said the same thing. The only reason for selling bikes is to generate parts and service sales. Since parts generally made more than service when I got out in 2003 I can't imagine how hard it is today with the internet offering cut rate prices. I used to have to combat mailorder that was at my cost sometimes. I imagine unless you move quantity nowadays the manufacturer wants you gone. Even back then we received veiled threats if we did not want our entire allocation at the beginning of the year. Honda told us they had plans to cut down the number of dealers so they could sell more units per dealer and cut down on some of the competition between dealers causing low profit margins. I think they succeeded in half of that equation. Their thought was the remaining dealers would be stronger.
The one that sticks in my mind was the Limited edition 1976 GL1200 Goldwing. It was an unheard of $10,000 for a Japanese motorcycle at the time. IF you sold one for full retail (never happened) markup was $1,000. The Harley dealers were giving $1,500 discounts at the time which made us wonder what their markup was.

When I had my Royal Enfield and I needed any warranty work, my dealer, 50 miles away, would give me the parts and I could do the work myself. i really never complained about the dealer being that far away. It gave me a chance to get another ride in! But, if you can get the parts from Speed, or another dealer under warranty, you can have Speed do the work, just not for free. The point being, you can have you bike worked on anywhere and as long as you have some documentation of the word being done, no warranty can be denied by the dealer, unless of course it was caused by the guy who worked on it. As long as Speed is a dealer, he should be able to get the parts an labor covered. anyway.
Bare

As of a week ago Speeds is still there as mentioned, but the front area that used to be their showroom is not their showroom anymore. That is likely what is is being offered to lease.
But no, you are not buying an MV their. Speed did say he left MV on good terms and perhaps if he gets back into a position where he could make it work he could be a dealer for them again. But right now he is only a dealer for Guzzi, and barely that.
It is a shame, but he does not sound like he is done yet. He is pretty much back to where he was in the mid to late 90's. When I was there a week ago he was pretty busy with service work. I hope he is able to stay afloat.
I managed to buy a couple of Baxley Wheel Chock stands at a great price.

I talked to Speed on Saturday. August 28th is his last day in business. No new work. Everything from tools to memorabilia must go, make him an offer.

Back