• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Spine Registry & Pic Thread

The Canadian 1100 Sport finally made it home early Sunday morning after I bought her four month ago. This bike turned out much nicer then I expected her to be in. There is not a single scratch or flaw on this bike. This bike also rides really nice. The engine was blue printed and the Cam balanced. A Power Commander was installed for the fuel mapping before the bike was dyno tuned.

Fullsizeoutput 220ad

Fullsizeoutput 220ac

Fullsizeoutput 220b0

I also had time a couple of weekends ago to convert the factory rectangular headlight / fairing setup on one of my bikes over to the trapezoid headlight design. I then installed new wheel bearings and Pirelli GT II tires after the wheels were powder coated in gold. The installation of a new set of Staintune header pipes and crossover and a set of golden powder coated cylinder crash bars finished that bike off nicely.

Before the conversion and color changes.
Fullsizeoutput 21f9b

Still with the US rectangular headlight setup
Fullsizeoutput 21a6a

New look. I think that the golden wheels look good with this bikes golden decals.
Fullsizeoutput 21fbe

Fullsizeoutput 21f9c

Last edited:
Andy, I'm almost positive that those carbon fiber cans are the exact same ones I had on my new V-10 Centauro in 1998. They are exactly like my D&D pipes from Texas. Even the handing bracket is identical. If so, they are SWEET cans. Very Sweet! Basso Profundo for sure.

Andy, I'm almost positive that those carbon fiber cans are the exact same ones I had on my new V-10 Centauro in 1998. They are exactly like my D&D pipes from Texas. Even the handing bracket is identical. If so, they are SWEET cans. Very Sweet! Basso Profundo for sure.

Hi Scott,

I would love to find out on who made this exhaust. The header pipes and crossover are definitely made by Staintune. I was told that the original owner of this bike had many parts for this bike custom made, but I don't know the original California owner, so it's just hearsay for now. I hope that I will in time find the original owner / collector of this bike. I talked to several people, of which some who have known of this bike back when it received many of it's upgrades, repaint, and engine tuning at Pro Italia, out of Glendale CA, and the general consensus are that this exhaust was a very rare carbon Staintune system. But again, that is just hearsay. The actual exhaust has no manufacturing markings that I see, but the mounting braked is made by Staintune also, which really doesn't mean anything. I did place this bike with the carbon exhaust next to another 97 with a full Stainless Staintune exhaust, and they sounded pretty much identical.

Either way, this bike sounds and rides great. The bike was dyno tuned after the engine was blue printed and the cam balanced. Fuel mapping is done via a Power Commander.

I looked briefly over the exhaust, and I didn't see a manufacture stamp, but the mounting bracket wears the Staintune logo.
Fullsizeoutput 222ae

Fullsizeoutput 220c6

View attachment 18562

Last edited:
I would love to find out on who made this exhaust.
If the bike was handled by P.I., ring and speak with Bill Nation on them. They (P.I.) had some made to sell in the early 90s, and sold them unbranded. They look like the ones I bought from there early 90's and put on my '91 Duc 900SS.

We have a winner! Todd is correct.

Staintune carbon fiber Ducati 900SS pipes.

BD93DBD7 822A 4DAE AE58 A93D40332CB1

Funny, they are dead ringers for my D&D’s except mine had a larger joint area at the bottom of the pipe than the Staintunes.

Mystery solved!

1E5F309B 6496 4BD4 AFD1 DC2BF0D75C93

Last edited:

Staintune carbon fiber Ducati 900SS pipes.

Thanks for the info,

That is too cool my friend..... It's nice knowing now for sure on what I have mounted on this bike. The next task is to track down another set or two of those pipes for some of my other bikes.

I have a 96 1100 Sport which has 41mm Keihin FCR's, K&N filter, and a full stainless Staintune exhaust, and that bike also sounds great. There is something to be said when you hear a big V-Twin that is setup right!

Hi Scott, Hi Andy,

My 95 (Reg NZ 96) 1100 carb'd Sport - ex USA came with small outlets on the SS cans so I drilled 8mm holes around the central outlets & Tuned her to suit, so despite the fact that she still runs in silent mode, the performance is equal to any injected 1100 plus a real burst of acceleration after 6k through redline. The biggest gain in power was by replacing the mistral crossover with the standard Guzzi "can" (Dr John knew his stuff!).
My Centauro (now 992 Sport), also ex USA, came with the full Staintune; & yes the sound is glorious to say the least, particularly if you wind her out out in each gear on half throttle - builds up to a seemingly never ending crosendo!
I know Staintune are extremely expensive but their exhausts are a leap ahead of many others on the market in both quality & sound.

Keep up the good work & make those of us who are envious - more envious :)
We all have to dream of something to aspire too - hence my last pic of my next project.

Sidestand 1 20190208 165104 20190129 154706 20190206 Sidestand Completed 3 20160219 191218 HDR 20180930 122552 HDR 20190203 121252 541 Deluxe Rear end

Unless I am totally off of my rocker, your bike belonged to Dr. John Ciccone of San Diego. I have seen it a few times but not for many years.

John died in November 2015.

https://www.legacy.com/amp/obituaries/sandiegouniontribune/176510954

The person who would know for sure is Paul Lima, owner of GP Motorcycles in San Diego. I just vividly remember the fairing with the bee and the italian writing along the fairing. I’m positive I know that bike.

I wasn't going to buy any more 1100 Sport's, but those bikes seem to somehow find me now...... so, I just bought & picked me up a 1996 1100 Sport from Tampa Florida over the weekend, which I’m going to use probably as a donor bike for a restoration project of one of my other 1996 1100 Sports.

This bike has 124150 miles or 199800 km on the clock........ If that doesn’t say something of the longevity of the 1100 Sport's powertrain, then what will? I also paid less for this bike then I paid for the new Staintune exhaust I bought last week, so not buying this bike was not an option. I do like the Mistral stainless brushed exhaust, and I really like the powder coating on the wheels.

Some people make fun of the 1100 Sport, saying that Moto Guzzi installed a tractor engine and transmission into those bikes.... well, the way I see it, there is something to be said about having a powertrain related to an agricultural equipment mounted in your bike...Odds are, that this bike will not leave me stranded somewhere, and it's pretty much a given that this bike will be with me, if I were to choose so for the long run. And if you take care of her, then she will most definitely take care of you! :)

Her last owner, who bought this bike with 5k miles on the clock in 1998, within the last couple of month (while trying to get her going again) had the transmission, front fork, and the final drive rebuild after this bike had been sitting for the last 15 years without being started up in his garage. (He parked this bike in 2005 after the second gear kept sliding out) He also installed a new battery, rectifier, starter, and all new relays earlier this year. Although the engine sounds great and the gears change as they should, the clutch grabs and won’t let go after the engine warms up. I think that this is were her last owner finally said "Enough is enough" and decided to sell this bike.

This bike has some cosmetic issues. It tipped over in a parking lot many years ago, so there are now some deep scratches on the front fiberglass fairing, the clutch needs replacing, tires are shot, turn signals not working, and the brake rotors seen better days, so I can’t justify spending $3k - $5k or more to restore her. This bike could supply me with a lifetime of spare parts for my other bikes, or I may also rebuild this bike in years to come as a retirement project? After all, this bike would be a nice addition to my 1100 Sport collection, if only to show what milage these bikes are capable off doing, when his or her owner take care of them.

Decisions, decisions..... Maybe I leave her just the way she is now, and just replace the clutch, brakes, wheel bearings, and tires, and then call her a true survivor.

1996 MG 1100 SPORT, Purchased on 04/06/2020 Vin# ZGUKEAKE1TM100207

It is amazing to think that this bike is only 200 km short of having 200,000 km on the clock!
Fullsizeoutput 22aa0

Fullsizeoutput 22aa1

I love the wheels powder coating. It's not in the best condition anymore, but still presentable. The Mistral exhaust looks perfect.
Fullsizeoutput 22abf

Fullsizeoutput 22aee

Fullsizeoutput 22ac2

Fullsizeoutput 22ae5

Staintune carbon fiber Ducati 900SS pipes. Thanks

Funny, they are dead ringers for my D&D’s except mine had a larger joint area at the bottom of the pipe than the Staintunes.

Mystery solved!

I actually talked to Adam from Staintune about the Carbon exhaust system on my yellow 1997 Sport, and that exhaust system was a special "One-Off" fabrication, which was specifically ordered for that bike. But the only difference between the Ducati 900SS and my exhaust system is the mufflers inlet pipes, which are bent different on the 1100 Sport versus the Ducati. Staintune is going also out of business, so I was lucky that I was able to order me one more Stainless exhaust system for the Daytona / 1100 Sport. I wanted to order me another carbon exhaust for one of my bikes, but Staintune stopped making carbon mufflers many years ago. It's sad to see them go out of business.

20200329 181817
Fresh in from Australia. This is, if not the last, then one of the last Daytona / 1100 Sport exhaust systems
fabricated before the factory closes its doors.
92747619 10216245639965792 8777432871070597120 n

Unless I am totally off of my rocker, your bike belonged to Dr. John Ciccone of San Diego. I have seen it a few times but not for many years.

John died in November 2015.

https://www.legacy.com/amp/obituaries/sandiegouniontribune/176510954

The person who would know for sure is Paul Lima, owner of GP Motorcycles in San Diego. I just vividly remember the fairing with the bee and the italian writing along the fairing. I’m positive I know that bike.

Hi Scott,
Total coincidence - maybe "Great minds think alike" as I had not even seen any similar photos anywhere.
I converted my Centauro after importing from California 2015 with 1500 miles on it (Pic attached as advertised & then at the beach in NZ on first ride).
I incorporated 3 phase 80,000 rpm 12v ducted fans into the intakes instead of the ludicrous boat snorkels it had.
The fairing was a locally purchased rare 70's one I cut down to suit the heads & after it painting yellow had all the transfers made & clear coated over (including the tank).
A mate of mine kept calling it the Guzzi Bee because of the colors - hence the wording & Bee transfers I had made by a Printers shop.
I must say I'm jealaous of your purchase of the last Staintune mufflers you got, especially if they have since closed. Special 992 Sport 15th may
I believe in the motto "All good things come to those who wait", except for some who are like Gladstone Gander (Alias MedicAndy).

I wasn't going to buy any more 1100 Sport's, but those bikes seem to somehow find me now...... so, I just bought & picked me up a 1996 1100 Sport from Tampa Florida over the weekend, which I’m going to use probably as a donor bike for a restoration project of one of my other 1996 1100 Sports.

This bike has 124150 miles or 199800 km on the clock........ If that doesn’t say something of the longevity of the 1100 Sport's powertrain, then what will? I also paid less for this bike then I paid for the new Staintune exhaust I bought last week, so not buying this bike was not an option. I do like the Mistral stainless brushed exhaust, and I really like the powder coating on the wheels.

Some people make fun of the 1100 Sport, saying that Moto Guzzi installed a tractor engine and transmission into those bikes.... well, the way I see it, there is something to be said about having a powertrain related to an agricultural equipment mounted in your bike...Odds are, that this bike will not leave me stranded somewhere, and it's pretty much a given that this bike will be with me, if I were to choose so for the long run. And if you take care of her, then she will most definitely take care of you! :)

Her last owner, who bought this bike with 5k miles on the clock in 1998, within the last couple of month (while trying to get her going again) had the transmission, front fork, and the final drive rebuild after this bike had been sitting for the last 15 years without being started up in his garage. (He parked this bike in 2005 after the second gear kept sliding out) He also installed a new battery, rectifier, starter, and all new relays earlier this year. Although the engine sounds great and the gears change as they should, the clutch grabs and won’t let go after the engine warms up. I think that this is were her last owner finally said "Enough is enough" and decided to sell this bike.

This bike has some cosmetic issues. It tipped over in a parking lot many years ago, so there are now some deep scratches on the front fiberglass fairing, the clutch needs replacing, tires are shot, turn signals not working, and the brake rotors seen better days, so I can’t justify spending $3k - $5k or more to restore her. This bike could supply me with a lifetime of spare parts for my other bikes, or I may also rebuild this bike in years to come as a retirement project? After all, this bike would be a nice addition to my 1100 Sport collection, if only to show what milage these bikes are capable off doing, when his or her owner take care of them.

Decisions, decisions..... Maybe I leave her just the way she is now, and just replace the clutch, brakes, wheel bearings, and tires, and then call her a true survivor.

It is amazing to think that this bike is only 200 km short of having 200,000 km on the clock!
View attachment 19306

View attachment 19307

I love the wheels powder coating. It's not in the best condition anymore, but still presentable. The Mistral exhaust looks perfect.
View attachment 19308

View attachment 19309

View attachment 19310

View attachment 19311

View attachment 19306

View attachment 19307

View attachment 19308

View attachment 19309

View attachment 19310

View attachment 19311

Hi Andy,

I am totally amazed how you manage to find all these 1100's!
Either you have too much time on your hand or your passion is unequaled & highly commendable.
There is currently a yellow 96 injected 1100 with 40K miles & a 93 Daytona with 30k miles for sale in NZ $9,600 & $13,000 respectively Since $1.00NZ -= $0.60USA you may be interested??
I continually have my eyes open for any wrecked 1100 carby'd Sport but to no avail - nobody seems to wreck them, they are all kept for spares as you mention.
I am conscious of their gearbox weakness & want to find a spare gearbox I can strip & rebuild with the all new correct bearings/thrust washers etc to have some peace of mind - I am a fan of their straight cut gears.
I don't doubt the mileage capabilities of these bikes & the previous owner of your bike obviously treated it with respect.
I ride in 4th gear & only use 5th for relaxed cruising on motorways /stretches of road that don't require constant throttle changes. - also helps me keep my licence :)
Keep up the good work

Had a great time today riding this beauty around for a couple of hours on this perfect weather afternoon. Too bad that everything is still closed, since I would have loved to have me a glass of wine with a light lunch along the way! Soon.....

Fullsizeoutput 22c0f

Fullsizeoutput 22c10

Fullsizeoutput 22c14

Fullsizeoutput 22c19

Fullsizeoutput 22c1b

Back