• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Spline grease

DanPez

Cruisin' Guzzisti
On my LM3 I was getting prepared to remove the drive shaft to see it's condition and found some spline grease in the garage that was lying around from my other bike.
Its Kluber Microlube GL 261 used for BMW splines.
There is talk about Wurth SIG 3000 grease that people use on there Guzzis.
Are they both compatible?

Well let me re-phrase ..... the GL has lithium ...... SIG has moly ..... will they both do the job?

What would you recommended?
Thanks

Anything that won't sling off is great. Guzzi doesn't even recommend lubing the splines. My personal favorite from working on BMWs is Amsoil synthetic grease. It sticks really well and lasts darn near forever. It is much better than the stuff BMW specifies in my opinion.

This is as subjective as an oil thread unfortunately.

I use a moly fortified grease. The splines will slowly push the grease out as the shaft length changes slightly due to the suspension alignment. That's why there are splines there. If there was no longitudinal movement then a taper and keyway could be used.

The spec sheet for moly grease states that it will still provide protection with a very thin layer if the grease is pushed out.

If you find a grease that stays in there then that is way better than no grease. Grease is a spline's friend. I don't think there is much difference between major brands. The type of grease and its properties is the important thing.

Most moly fortified greases are about 3%. Molybond makes a GA10 and GA50 grease which is 10% and 50% respectively. I also know that Penrite Cam assembly lube has moly but I don't have a ready supplier, have never used it and don't know its specs. Peter roper uses it.

If you want to get really paranoid about it then you can go for Tungsten Disulphide (WS2) fortified grease. Its supposed to be better than moly. Never tried it.

I wouldn't go to a point of not putting any grease on a spline.
Yet one member mentioned that when the bike was purchased new ..... Guzzi left it DRY.

The grease product that's on the bike now seems to be pretty thick ......given my garage is +/-10ºc. (That helps) :lol:
And like you guys mentioned ... I'll go with something thick enough that it doesn't sling all over like Petroleum Jelly

Thanks

DanPez said:
Yet one member mentioned that when the bike was purchased new ..... Guzzi left it DRY.

Guzzi "left it" dry I believe is perhaps being overly kind to the Mandello guys. When seeing the ball of rust on the bone dry off-production line splines in my LM3, I rather think it has to do with something lacking in their procedures and quality control in the 1980'ies. I'll not start mentioning all the other interesting findings along the line of Mandello style quality control in a Guzzi of those days. I've read a few test drive articles in MC-magazines from that era and I recognize the pattern in what they complain about, the bikes simply weren't put together - just like mine! I suppose a good dealer can make up for plenty of factory mistakes, but perhaps not all of the dealers were up to it.

Back