• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

spring rides, Aisne region and beyond

RJVB

GT Reference
I haven't had much chance to take "reportable" rides this year. Or, more accurately, among the rides I've taken this year, three that weren't intended to be that way stand out as unforgettable — the wrong way.

Anyway, I've been making that other, nice kind of ride since about a month now. First off, and to get Anne back onto 2 wheels, a nice little ride to Noyon. As usual, we didn't stop for pictures, but the weather was fine, and there is something touching to fields that are just beginning to bear recognisable crop.

DSC01831.JPG

For Easter, I went to visit my mom. I can only say the bike ran great, despite slightly more pronounced vibration in the handlebars. I guess I'd better not mention the mileage I got, esp. since I had a good wind in the back :whistle:

11-04-09_163225.jpg

Anyway, while back in the home country, we did something very typical: we took a biking tour.

PICT0040.JPG

The last 2 weekends were a bit more fruitful, and I even took a few pictures from the roadside. Saturday 2/5 I got the itch, and went off on a small hike over our local back roads. This has to be taken literally, and one has to allow the image of a turtle's back in the mind's eye. The country side is hilly, and there are quite a few unexpected switchbacks and hairpin curves, apart from the more frequent regular twisties. Thing is ... they're narrow, sometimes only a single tractor wide, have surface in widely varying degrees of (non)repair (the non~ version leading to bits of gravel - or simply vegetation) and as they appear in many cases to be cobblestone roads covered with a layer of tarmac, their cross-section goes from flat to hunchback. In short, they're fun, as long as you don't bite them as I did in january. I'm not sure if I'm being overly careful nowadays, but on the twisty stretches, I now doodle along between 40 and 60 km/h, unless I'm really sure of the surface state and reasonably certain nothing will cross my path just around the corner :S

IMG_0006.JPG

Sunday 3/5 we went together to trace back one of our most appreciated rides from last year, along the Chemin des Dames. This road is called so because it is the road 2 daughters of Louis XV took, but as it traces a ridge between the rivers Aisne and Ailette, it offers nice scenery AND saw an incredible amount of back and forth fighting during WW-1. Road book: we followed the D22 from Rozet-Saint-Alban to Brainy; the Chemin des Dames starts where we turned west, after Craonne. No time for pics, just pure bliss riding (at the aforementioned pace...)

Last Saturday, the 9th, there was supposed to be a rally in Quessy, a small town north of Soissons. I'd sort of set up to meet with 2 members of a French forum in Chauny — that is, they'd be in a pub between 14 and 15h. I think it was about 13h when I finally took off, with the intention to travel some more of the back roads instead of the fast 4-laner. I indeed saw my share of nice roads and scenery (no overgrown 1 laners this time), but when I got to the RV point, the birds had already left. And the rally in Quessy turned out to be a very discrete event, well hidden and not advertised. I'd thought I'd find it through the inevitable noise, but the only noise I heard was the city's sound system blaring "SPAM" in a loop (was I glad I'd left my ear plugs in!). Not exactly impressed by the city charms, I hit the return trip, with a detour over La Fère for fuel, and Coucy-le-Château for all of 3 pictures. Road book.

DSC02003.JPG

Photos of a 2x2 feet, and two 1x2 wheels rides are here.

There is no doubt René, that France has some wonderful roads and scenery.
We stayed on a camp site near Vic sur Aisne several years ago. Beautiful area. I had two young children with me so no bike of course.

I can imagine! Would be interesting to see how much has changer there since, how long ago was that?
I suspect not much! ;)

Heh :)

There are quite a few historic places in the Aisne where a Brit would have reason to go, but I hope your "links" with the place don't go back that far ;)

Working on a new ride for coming Friday, in principle with a few local Guzzisti from guzzi.webemoi.com :

http://tinyurl.com/q99aqo

Not yet sure if this is feasible (GM says 4h riding, might be more in reality given the state of the roads).

Seems one can't do via-via-via-...-via itineraries in Google Earth, can one? And exporting Google Maps to anything else doesn't appear to be possible either?

Back