• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Spun bearing = rod/crank repair

Blueboarhound

Tuned and Synch'ed
Please forgive my lack of mechanical knowledge. I always joke an tell people that I know where to put the key and where to put the gas but that's about it.

With that in mind, what can cause your bike to spin a bearing and bend the rod/crank? This is the scenario I have with my '96 Sport 1100 and I'd just like to be aware why this happened so I can try to avoid experiencing it again.

The Sport has had very little done to it other than the heads being ported and polished and is relatively stock except for a Staintune exhaust. It also has low miles, around 15000, so the motors not clapped out.

Another question that I have is with Raceco gone and a shoddy dealer network who is there to go to on the east coast for performance enhancements, repair, etc.

I've owned the bike since new and plan on keeping it but if I have to tear it down for these repairs I might as well take advantage of it being apart and enhance it a bit for the street.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can throw my way.

Rare for the carb models to torch a big end unless the filter has come loose or the OPRV has fallen out or jammed open.

Anyway, the whole thing is going to have to come apart anyways so you should be able to identify what caused it.

If the rod is bent it's history. crank may or may not be salvageable. Any modifications from stock?

Pete

You said you wanted to know who on the east coast was a good place to go, east coast of where? If you meant east coast of the US, there is Mike Rich Motorsports in Pa, Europa Macchina south of Harrisburg, Pa (where I take things beyond my skills and time), and Speed's south of Baltimore, Md. There was also Stan's down in Fl. but I do not know if he is still around.

As for the bearings, Guzzi's use plain bearings for the motor, a lack of oil pressure will kill them. But until you take the motor apart it is hard to say.
Good luck.

pete roper said:
Rare for the carb models to torch a big end unless the filter has come loose or the OPRV has fallen out or jammed open.

Anyway, the whole thing is going to have to come apart anyways so you should be able to identify what caused it.

If the rod is bent it's history. crank may or may not be salvageable. Any modifications from stock?

Pete

Pete,

It has had very little done to it other than the heads being ported and polished (local mechanic/Guzzi Dealer) and is relatively stock except for a Staintune exhaust and it's been re-jetted. It has low miles, around 15000, so the motors not clapped out.

GuzziMoto said:
You said you wanted to know who on the east coast was a good place to go, east coast of where? If you meant east coast of the US, there is Mike Rich Motorsports in Pa, Europa Macchina south of Harrisburg, Pa (where I take things beyond my skills and time), and Speed's south of Baltimore, Md. There was also Stan's down in Fl. but I do not know if he is still around.

As for the bearings, Guzzi's use plain bearings for the motor, a lack of oil pressure will kill them. But until you take the motor apart it is hard to say.
Good luck.

Guzzi Moto,

US East Coast, Mid-Atlantic region. Thanks for the tips you've already posted although I couldn't find Speed's online. I did find the others. Do you know anything about the shop that bought Raceco's inventory etc. when Manfred shut down? I believe they were/are from the NY/NJ area. Are they still around?

A plain or hydrodynamic bearing either works or it doesn't.

For it to work both the bearing and journal it spins on must be perfectly round, the clearance between them must be correct and it must have a constant supply of oil at the correct pressure. If any of these parameters are not met the oil won't be able to wedge, you'll get boundary lubrication and the bearing will fail pretty much instantly.

Your job is to find out which of those criteria hasn't been met and fix it before puting the rebuilt motor back into service.

Pete

Blueboarhound said:
GuzziMoto said:

Good luck.

Guzzi Moto,

US East Coast, Mid-Atlantic region. Thanks for the tips you've already posted although I couldn't find Speed's online. I did find the others. Do you know anything about the shop that bought Raceco's inventory etc. when Manfred shut down? I believe they were/are from the NY/NJ area. Are they still around?

http://www.speedscycle.com/
But I would lean towards Mike Rich or Europa Macchina personally. Although Speeds did do some porting on the wifes V11.
I do not know about RaceCo and where the inventory went.
Mike Rich sells some very nice pistons as well as push rods and con rods.
Europa Macchina is a vintage Porsche restoration and racing shop. They are a cool place to visit. My Daytona trans is going there along with a Bassa trans to have the guts swapped as Pete recommended a while back. I would do it but I find I do not have the time any more.

My Sport 1100 repairs ended up getting back burnered for a year but now I'm finally moving forward with getting it back on the road. Rather than repair/re-size the damaged parts I purchased a complete motor from another Sport 1100 that was parted out. I picked the motor up a few weeks ago during a snow storm but it was a fun road trip.

It's been awhile since the Sports been on the road and I'm looking forward to finally riding it again.

Good to hear.
Are you going to go over, or have someone go over, the motor or just put it in and go?
I tend to worry, especially with carbed motors, about them running on their side at the end of a crash resulting on them running with no or reduced oil pressure.
Better to find that out before it runs again rather then after.

My mechanical abilities are limited so someone else will be doing the work for me. It's not going to be an engine swap, we plan on tearing down the motor I just purchased and replacing the damaged parts on my Sport.

Blue Mt. Cycles. He's been doing the regular service on the Sport since new. He worked at the dealership I purchased the bike at and when he left, and they dropped Guzzi, I went with him as a customer.

Back