• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Standard Halogen headlight globes vs equivalent LED headlight bulbs?

Guzzoo

Just got it firing!
Hi All,
My first post :)

I'm still counting down the days waiting for my first Moto Guzzi 2014 California Custom to arrive by transport.
So, .....in the meantime I've been sucked into the vortex of choice and cost of performance parts and accessories!

Does anyone have any experience replacing the standard H7 and H3 halogen headlight globes with equivalent LED headlight bulbs for example -
https://www.iilumo.com/products/cosmic-plus-h7
and
https://www.iilumo.com/products/cosmic-plus-h3

I believe they are pretty much just plug and play, as long as there is enough room for the extra 3cm length.

If anyone has a photo of the internals of the Custom headlight that would be really helpful?
Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Hi there and welcome. I’d wait till you have the bike. There’s a biconvex lens inside the lamp that is close to the end of the bulb when inserted so 3cm may be (is likely to be) impossible. Also the current bulb sits at the hyper focal point of the reflector and you’d need to know whether the led one did (probably not).

I’d say wait. And I’d also think even of it fitted, the beam pattern would be horrible. It’s just physics.

Best regards

Paul

Hi there and welcome. I’d wait till you have the bike. There’s a biconvex lens inside the lamp that is close to the end of the bulb when inserted so 3cm may be (is likely to be) impossible. Also the current bulb sits at the hyper focal point of the reflector and you’d need to know whether the led one did (probably not).

I’d say wait. And I’d also think even of it fitted, the beam pattern would be horrible. It’s just physics.

Best regards

Paul
Hi Paul, thanks for the welcome and reply.
I understand your first comments and agree that I will wait now.

Could you just elaborate a bit more on the beam pattern please? Just going by the advertised comparison photo, it appears much better.
Upload 2020 9 1 17 32 57

The issue is that reflectors on lamps are generally parabolic. A parabolic reflector has an ideal position for the lamp where the majority of the rays are send out parallel towards the target (see Wikipedia 'Parabolic Reflector') and attached diagram. If you start messing with the bulb length and also direction of light output (leds tend to push light forwards, filament lamps (halogen) tend to send it 360 degrees sideways) then you mess with the design parameters of the lamp.

I'm not saying that it won't work, but I am 100% sure it won't work as per the adverts you show. The light will have a much cooler colour temperature too. All I am saying is that use of different bulbs in a parabolic system (compounded in the Guzzi's case by the bi-convex lens) is non-trivial and fraught at best.

My 10 cents worth is that I don't think it will fit, and if it does fit you will be entering a world of pain. But that is just my opinion.

Best regards

Paul 300px Parabola with focus and arbitrary line

Thank You. Makes sense to me now!
I'll go with standard replacements -
- Philips H7 X-TREME Vision Plus Bulb Headlight Globes 12v/55w 130%
and
- Philips H3 WhiteVision Ultra Light Globes 12v /55w 4200K

....appreciate your help Paul!

Pretty sure there was a discussion of this over on WildGuzzi a good while back. Somebody found something Denali sells that was an improvement IIRC. As I rarely ride for any significant distances in full dark, I didn't pay that much attention...

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience replacing the standard H7 and H3 halogen headlight globes with equivalent LED headlight bulbs for example -

Cheers!

Why? Maybe you should let your bike arrive and then ride it for a while. IF you then find anything deficient, then look into what you can do to correct that "problem".

FYI, the only stupid things that I have found on my 2014 MG California have been:

1. the airbox design. It is almost impossible to change the air filter without removing MANY parts in and around the airbox first.

2. the cosmetic cover on the rear drive that requires you to remove the rear wheel in order to change the rear drive lube. (I simply removed that cover and stuck it in a box of MG California items that will go with the bike when sole eventually)

3. the crossover pipe in the exhaust WILL CRACK and fail at the welds where it attaches to the header pipes. (order Todd's replacement H-Pipe here on this site. Install it and problem cured forever)

I think that's about it.

The issue is that reflectors on lamps are generally parabolic. A parabolic reflector has an ideal position for the lamp where the majority of the rays are send out parallel towards the target (see Wikipedia 'Parabolic Reflector') and attached diagram. If you start messing with the bulb length and also direction of light output (leds tend to push light forwards, filament lamps (halogen) tend to send it 360 degrees sideways) then you mess with the design parameters of the lamp.

I'm not saying that it won't work, but I am 100% sure it won't work as per the adverts you show. The light will have a much cooler colour temperature too. All I am saying is that use of different bulbs in a parabolic system (compounded in the Guzzi's case by the bi-convex lens) is non-trivial and fraught at best.

My 10 cents worth is that I don't think it will fit, and if it does fit you will be entering a world of pain. But that is just my opinion.

Best regards

PaulView attachment 20420

I agree here. This is an opportunity to avoid a self inflicted problem.

Back