Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Starter problem

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by jonesar, May 5, 2009.

1. jonesar

jonesar Just got it firing!

Recently did the valve upgrade. No problems -- the old cams and followers actually looked excellent so no issues prior to the upgrade or after in regards to the valve train. Bike has 4300 miles on it. An issue with the starter has emerged though. Yesterday I rode about 12 miles, went in a video place for 5 minutes came out and it the starter did not respond when the button was pushed. Everything else seemed fine. I checked the starter switch and even substituted the starter relays and then it started (30 - 45 minutes later). I assumed it was the starter realy. Yet, today the same thing. Shut it off when it was hot then it would not repond. Everything looked fine but no response when the starter button was pushed. After the bike cooled down it started normally.

Anyone had this issue or know the likely culprit?

2. RJVB

RJVB GT Reference

Have you checked the dash computer for errors? Sound like some sort of temperature protection (note that head temperature is likely to go up at first when the cooling -riding- stops, even with the engine off).

3. nomad

nomad Tuned and Synch'ed

I had an issue with my starter where the starter would not disengage resulted in shearing the cog and blowing a lot of fuses apparantly there was an early recall to remove one of the relays from the set of four at the front right side of the fairing. you should have one relay missing if all your spaces are populated speak to your dealer.

4. jonesar

jonesar Just got it firing!

The bike came with three relays originally from front to rear as indicated:
    X X
    X
    I added the fourth for the auxillary lights to work appropriately. Looking at the wiring diagram it would be hard for me to imagine any of the other three slots being empty.

5. nomad

nomad Tuned and Synch'ed

try removing the one you put in and see if it makes any difference - ?

6. bigtex

bigtex Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

nomad wrote:
    No, he is quite correct. The empty slot is the fog light relay - not installed and you get no fog lights.

However, looking at the wiring diagram, I see that there are 2 relays listed for the start up: Start Up Relay and Start Up Maintenance Relay. What the heck is that second one?

[​IMG]

7. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

The Guzzi technical recall note talks of the two relays at the front of the fairing on the right hand side of the bike. You remove the one nearest the fuse carrier, the light grey one.

8. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

Brian UK wrote:
    I believe these relays are NOT in the block with the others.