• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Starting/Battery Issues

Ghost_Bullet

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Had the original Yuasa in the griso, when the lead terminals deteriorated and broke up, the new bat put on was a Motobatt, that lasted a couple of years, then went for another. The last we while, on cold mornings have tended to have to jump start.
Last weekend, after riding a stint of approx 130km, stopped for gas, at starting, just a clonk. Jump start and all good.
Going over the system, checking terminals to the alternator, starter and earth line to the Engine. All secure. Battery on charge. and voltage reading on dash reading around 13v, still the click, anything below the same... jump start with the old motobatt and starts. Either batt on its own, nothing.

I have found in the past that when the voltage on the dash is 12v it would not start, but 12.3 or above, all is fine.

Question really is -
This fault likely to be battery? (my gut feeling)
Or could there be an issue with the likes of a relay or something else I am missing?

Opinion between another Motobatt, or go back to an original lead acid?

Hey cheers. It would appear then a yellow wire requires snipping and a direct (fused) line to the battery. Just making sure I got the right detail by checking a few web pages, then all will be on fire again. ;)

If your careful you don't have to cut the wire, I managed to insert a tiny screwdriver to release the clip and pull the connector out and insulate it, I then ran a fused (15A) wire direct from the battery with a connector on the end that fitted to pin 3 in the relay holder, the one you just pulled out, its never done that "click" again.

The starter mod is a good thing. If your battery doesn't have at least 12.65 volts (measured with a real volt meter, not the dash display) it is not fully charged. That could be due to issues with the charging system or it could be the battery is dying. When running the battery should be above 13 volts and should be above 14 volts when rpms are up.
I prefer quality lead acid batteries, which are getting harder and harder to find. The current trend is the new breed of lithium batteries, and while I have not had good luck with them on my Guzzi's, many other people have.
In the end, you pays your money, you takes your chances.

What is probably happening when you just get the clunk is that as soon as the solenoid goes in, the load of the starter motor drops the battery voltage below the ECU threshold so it cuts the start relay coil supply. Cause - poor battery. The only way to test this is with a meter across the battery when you press the start button.

Ran the fused wire to the battery, turned over the first time, but then not again. I am thinking the battery might well be buggered as well. Or some other fault as well.

Since the last post, let the tender charge the battery fully. and the past few days now, every time attempted to start the bike, it has worked a treat. Therefore pretty damn happy. I would not be surprised though if the mottobatt is in need of replacement sooner rather than later, they don't appear to have the longest life in them.
Cheers for the advice.

After 25 years of riding, I replace every two years, whether they need it or not. Unfortunately, the stock Yuasa sprung a surprise on me and quit after 1 year- all the signs of a broken interior plate. I keep my bike on a Battery Tender JR. when it's garaged, and ride with the voltmeter showing so I can confirm 14.2 sweet volts at high RPM... this thing just quit right at the end of a ride, no warning.

Currently running a MotoBatt AGM, but I don't like the shenanigans I had to go through to mount the terminals on the wee little connectors, so the next battery (this spring) will likely be an Odyssey.

Have been experiencing similar problems with my 2007 Griso. Routinely used Battery Tender Jr. to keep battery fully charged and bike would start OK, until recently when it would not start - just click sound. Took to dealer and battery and starter/solenoid were replaced. Also had them add the starter relay kit from Guzzi shop in Houston, TX. Picked it up last week and bike started at dealer when I loaded it in my trailer. Unloaded bike at home two days later and it would not start - just click sound. Recharged it to 14.2 indicated on dash. Checked it after sitting two days and 12.2 showed on dash. Did not try to start it. Recharged it and it started fine and I rode it about 160 miles. Going to let it sit for a week and see what battery reads. HAS ANYONE had their bike checked for a short or ground problem causing the battery to discharge while sitting?

A couple of things to try,
1-Put a meter across the battery, note the voltage then start the bike and see if its charging.
2-With the ignition turned off put an ammeter in series with one of the battery leads and make a note of any current draw. It should be zero or a couple of mA's if you have an alarm fitted, the red immobiliser LED on my Breva flashes every 5 seconds and reads about 2mA/flash. Don't start the bike in this setup or you'll damage your meter.
With a brand new battery it should be able to sit for at least a month or so and start 1st time, is the battery ok?

Again since making the mod with direct wire from relay to battery, and still with the same battery as earlier.. Starts no trouble at all, even after a few weeks and not using the batt-tender.
I reckon the click will be something not to be heard for a while, until the battery truly needs replacement

I think you might find the drain is a bit more than a couple of milliamps. Even Guzzi say to pull the main fuse if leaving the bike for more than a few weeks. Remember the ECU and dash are powered all the time. The Guzzi alarm also adds quite a bit to that drain.

Back