• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Starting blues

UitDieBloute

Just got it firing!
Hi all, my 2012 v7 racer randomly doesnt want to start after about 12000 km. I can get it running with a push start. It also randomly dies when im riding. Could this be the dreaded fuel filter problem?

No, by the sounds of it, it's either a charging or battery issue. Have the battery fully charged and load tested, and have your bike checked to see that it is charging properly when running. I would replace the filter if you haven't already though... and with the filter, it either runs or it doesn't. No in betweens.

No, by the sounds of it, it's either a charging or battery issue. Have the battery fully charged and load tested, and have your bike checked to see that it is charging properly when running. I would replace the filter if you haven't already though... and with the filter, it either runs or it doesn't. No in betweens.

The battery seems to be fine. It turns the motor but doesnt start. Only when pushed. I will check it out anyway, thanks.

The battery seems to be fine. It turns the motor but doesnt start. Only when pushed. I will check it out anyway, thanks.

Starter may be pulling the voltage low enough for the ECU to not function. The ECU needs to see a certain voltage or it won't try to run the bike. I've seen that occur on both ECU controlled vehicles as well as the old points and distributor systems. The starter just takes all the available "juice" and nothing is left over for good ignition.

Ok so I tested the battery with the following results:
- Battery only 12.45 V
- Cranking it drops down to 10.6 V at the battery
- Cranking it drops down to 10.3 V at the starter

What I found out is that on occasions when it doesnt start and i spray Quickstart into the air intake, the bike starts. I assume its a fuel related problem?

Also, I checked the oil level and saw it was quite a bit over the max mark so i drained out approx 200 ml. It now sits just under the max mark.

- Battery only 12.45 V

What I found out is that on occasions when it doesnt start and i spray Quickstart into the air intake, the bike starts. I assume its a fuel related problem?

Also, I checked the oil level and saw it was quite a bit over the max mark so i drained out approx 200 ml. It now sits just under the max mark.

You need at least 12.7 volts at the battery while cranking to power the ECU.
Replace the battery, it will correct the problem.

- Battery only 12.45 V

Did you check the oil with the engine hot? You should enjoy a nice 15 minute ride first.

Yes I checked the oil with the engine hot. Also, I replaced the battery but the problem didnt go away. It will start fine for two days or so without a problem and the next day it doesnt start at all.

Have you had the bike hooked up to diagnostic software? If sensors are out of range you may not get an enriched starting mix. If sensors are good, you may need to have the injectors cleaned.

Yes I checked the oil with the engine hot. Also, I replaced the battery but the problem didnt go away. It will start fine for two days or so without a problem and the next day it doesnt start at all.
What voltage do you get at the battery when it is running?

The OP hasn't posted for over two weeks. We don't know what he has or hasn't done. I wouldn't provide anymore "solutions" until we know what has occurred.

I havent had the bike on diagnostics but i unplugged the lambda sensors and its running without any problem so far. As for the battery its over 13 V when running depending on the engine speed. I dont know if there is some guideline on what the battery should read at a particular engine speed. For now looks like it might be something to do with the lambda sensors.

It should have over 14 volts with the motor running. 14.7 is the target, but it is typically lower at idle.
If you unplug the O2 sensors the ECU likely goes into a limp mode, which often means overly rich mixture to be "safe". Long term that is really not a good solution. If it is a bad O2 sensor that should throw a code. But unplugging the O2 sensors and the issue goes away does not mean that the sensor(s) are the issue.

Volts measured at the battery when running should be ~13.8, and ~14.4v at 3k RPM or so.
Unplugging the lambdas will actually cause the bike to run excessively lean and illuminate a check engine light. It's opposite from what most people think on the 15RC & MIU ECUs

Volts measured at the battery when running should be ~13.8, and ~14.4v at 3k RPM or so.
Unplugging the lambdas will actually cause the bike to run excessively lean and illuminate a check engine light. It's opposite from what most people think on the 15RC & MIU ECUs

Wait, only with the stock ECU map correct? If someone has your ECU reflash the lambda sensors should be unplugged.

The battery reads 15V at 3k rpm and over. The check engine light remains off with the sensors unplugged although I can smell it runs on the rich side. I ordered the guzzidiag kit from lonelec and will see if there are any error codes.

Just an update. I believe I found the actual cause of the starting problem. The air filter was sprayed with some filter oil before installation which was quite sticky. I cleaned the air filter out with carb cleaner and also unscrewed the lamda sensors and cleaned it. So far no starting problems with the lamba sensors plugged in.

Back