• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio 1200NTX help

Mick Harvey

Just got it firing!
Happy weekend GT community. My Stelvio needs some serious help. After reading many posts some related and some on other bikes, so not sure releated, I thought I'd post a separate thread. I am new to the MG family and as sexy as these bikes are, it has not been great for me so far. Hope this isnt too long winded, but want to give you info to see if can help. please
I bought this bike from Euro cycle in vegas and had it sent to sister store in CA about 3 years ago. Bought with 12k and now has 20k miles on it and ran into a major issue. This winter, I did not get on it much but did go and start it about every 3 weeks or so. About 3 months ago, I wanted to check the vlave clearence, because was last on the maintenance list that needed to be done from summer. I watched some videos and a mechanic myself did not think was too hard and performed it myself. Went to start, even on charger wouldn't start. So replaced battery from O'reilys. Got it to start and idled great, and sounded good. all happy. shut off and waited until weekend when wanted to go for ride. Started up no issue and took through hood at 25-30 mph and no issues. Got to a 45mph and got on it and about 3k rpms had nothing, no power at all. let off and tried several times and nothing. soon as i get on it, it just dogs. cruised home like riding grandma and ran fine, got on it on my street and squeezed it and blah. so I open heads again and tighten then down a little better, tighten with feeler gauge first time, so looked like need a touch more. started fine took on road and nothing, blah. so did some reading and sounded like loose is better than tight, and ran that way prior so loosened them up just a little bit. Now have tried from 0.1 to 0.12, and tried again and nothing, same lose of power. so, trailered it to Eurocycle in Windsor, CA. they said fuel pump, $1k and 8 weeks. WTF, i found one on ebay and gave to them. They installed and called me up and said the pump works great, fuel pressure is back up but still not running right, still loss of power, but better......... 2 months fast forward they still cant get it to run right. They checked voltage at plugs, replaced plugs, checked fuel pressure and is good, checked the spray of the injectors... at idle and good, not under load, not sure if can be done. they checked a bunch of sensors and all good. air filter and throttle body good. maybe some other items, but at this point they have no idea what to do. they have no ideas or suggestions but to rip apart entire engine to see if they see something. I have worked on bikes but nothing this new or fancy. so I am not sure with fuel injections and computers. They have also pulled in their retired mechanic and he didnt know. they also called their 2 other shops in Reno and vegas and they didnt know. I live in northern CA, and there are no other shops within 1.5 hrs of my house. I am willing to go farther, really anywhere to get my bike back, but thought I would try on here first and you seemed to be the best to hit up and ask. Sorry for long wind but wanted to get rid of basics so wasnt wasting your time.
Really appreciate anything you can offer. I did look through a lot of the forums and had some ideas, but wast sure related to my bike since they were on other bikes; like sensors, timing belt and ignition wires. Which also seemed like total loss of power but for me its under load. soon as I demand more, it gives up. Thank you all that can offer insight. Happy Sat for those riding.

That's a frustrating situation. I hope you don't lose faith in the ability of your Stelvio to provide joy and happiness once this bug-in-the-fuel-line or whatever it is is fixed.

Some of the world's experts on these things are reading your post, and you sound like you will be able to effectively answer their troubleshooting questions. I predict victory sooner rather than later ....

Lannis

VERY! thanks Lannis, that is what I am hoping. I know its something dumb, its not that complicated. this is just not my expertise.

im new to GT but Todd is in La, correct? I think i read he is a shop there that is online appt only. if this is same person, I have thought about that. That is a 9 hr ride trailering it or shiping it there. it is an option but pricey one. thanks for the assurance thats an optipon. we will see if i can get anywhere soon, if not. ROAD TRIP

Orange County
I’m just saying the way it is… They do fantastic work there!
..it may even save you money in the long run because the other guys just exchange parts on a guess..

Thanks @lemans850i - Mick, here’s what I’ve learned about this process. It’s nearly impossIble to diagnose things like this via the net. It is likely something you did. We can keep guessing endlessly and go down a never ending rabbit hole, or see the bike in person and fix it.
We do require an appointment at my shop, it’s the SERVICE link at the top of the page here. We get bikes both ridden and trailered in from all over North and South America often. Happy to be of service there. Look forward to meeting you. 😉

I hear ya GTM, but cant blame a man for trying to fix his self vs throwing flag in right away and driving 18 hrs to have someone else fix, BUT I am afraid it will come to that. but at least want to try, reason for this forum, id think, pride of fixing it yourself.
Thats what I thought to Vagrant, reason brought to shop soon as it happened didnt want to make worse. BUT they said they got the clearance where it needs to be and nothing. Unless I was SO far out that caused damage, but find that hard to believe, ID think would be catastrophic damage. So shop getting back in spec would at least makes SOME difference. but made none. being off 0.02mm?...... cant image that would damage something that bad riding it less than 2 miles. but obviously guessing here. I enjoy the shop talk and hope for a resolution. I am gone all next week and if shop has nothing by then, I will have to go and get it and mess with myself.

Has anyone heard from scott? he wrote to me on this and said had surgery but havent heard back. hoping all went well

You never said what year it was. By the NTX in the title we assume it's a 2013+. Earlier years had cam issues. If a 13+ it should have the latest and greatest set up. If it's at a dealer that can't make it run I'd be kind in saying he doesn't have a mechanic. Possibly a parts replacer, but, maybe not even that! Time to bite the bullet and pick it up.

Like Todd says it could be loads of things that experts will quickly investigate & rule in/out BUT if you're going to try fixing it yourself I'd start by checking the plug caps - they are notoriously weak & easily damaged if you 'just pulled' them off (& then damage can make HT break down under load)....they should be eased up/off using screwdriver through fins next to exhaust.

Revving the bike in a dark garage might illuminate that problem (or not)

its a 2013, yup, think your right.
I hear ya Paul, I did that on an old truck and what quit the light show. will do.
I have talked to Scott and think we have a plan. I will try and report back in a couple weeks when back in town to try it. Thanks all for the help. Thoughts for the Stelvio to live !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Mick, somewhere in one of these blogs I recall someone suffering from a similar issue (cant find it now...).
The problem turned out to be caused by a spark plug wire shorting at higher RPM - Paul Brice nailed it I think.
Here's hoping it turns out to be something simple

I’ve been working with him privately.

I diagnosed it with him.

He had a cracked fuel pump assembly. The gas was just blowing out a crack in the assembly and swirling all around the tank.

He got a gas resistant epoxy and he’s letting it cure fully.

Trying to save it.

IMG 1257 IMG 1256

70785946680  E926A92B 3BD2 44B5 8290 97194554B5EF

Thank you for the very kind words.

Most people are always way to quick to judge me because I’m not a glossy writer. They think I’m being mean or harsh or whatever…

I know, I know, it’s just my bizarre autistic way about myself. I am what I am.

However, if you are polite and kind and receptive to my help, I will literally bend over backwards to try and help you.

This problem was way to complicated to fend off the peanut gallery in the open forum so I helped him via private conversations and a few phone calls to help him along.

Hopefully, his repair will work for him. Haven’t heard yet. 👌🤞👍

Thanks @lemans850i - Mick, here’s what I’ve learned about this process. It’s nearly impossIble to diagnose things like this via the net. It is likely something you did. We can keep guessing endlessly and go down a never ending rabbit hole, or see the bike in person and fix it.
We do require an appointment at my shop, it’s the SERVICE link at the top of the page here. We get bikes both ridden and trailered in from all over North and South America often. Happy to be of service there. Look forward to meeting you. 😉
hey Todd, ok, it is time to get this bike to you, but I am not comfortable driving it that far, and dont have the time to trailer it there. Can you recommend any bike shipping companies? thanks, Mick

hey Todd, ok, it is time to get this bike to you, but I am not comfortable driving it that far, and dont have the time to trailer it there. Can you recommend any bike shipping companies? thanks, Mick
Since it is going to the shop, you should use the contact tab in the service for this question. Contact the OC shop. https://gtmotocycles.com/pages/contact-us

Back