• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio 2009 with recurent oil leaks

Ericopedro

Just got it firing!
Ciao Tutti,

I have a Stelvio 2009 which I like a lot but I am so tired of oil leaks on this bike, three times the dealer has worked on it once under warranty then twice from my pocket!!! Annoying since he did not fix the problem at first... on the third time it seemed to worked and now again another leak which seems different this time:
the leak comes from the rear left side of the oil pan close to the pivot of the side stand and it seems that the oil pan gasket could be the problem... to be seen.

My question is: have you encountered the same issue any of you and did changing the gasket ruled out the issue?

I am riding hard and fast but my other Guzzis never had any problems like this one. I had a 2000 California Jekyl and I still have a 2008 1100 Griso with not any issue.

By the way my Stelvio is only 22,000 Kms ... nothing for a Guzzi
thanks in advance for your comments

EricoPedro, from Whistler Canada

IMG 3441

Ciao Tutti,

I have a Stelvio 2009 which I like a lot but I am so tired of oil leaks on this bike, three times the dealer has worked on it once under warranty then twice from my pocket!!! Annoying since he did not fix the problem at first... on the third time it seemed to worked and now again another leak which seems different this time:
the leak comes from the rear left side of the oil pan close to the pivot of the side stand and it seems that the oil pan gasket could be the problem... to be seen.

My question is: have you encountered the same issue any of you and did changing the gasket ruled out the issue?

I am riding hard and fast but my other Guzzis never had any problems like this one. I had a 2000 California Jekyl and I still have a 2008 1100 Griso with not any issue.

View attachment 13107

I saw this on a previous Guzzi.
The dealer removed the sump but when they refitted the sump they had caught the frayed ends of the
side stand leads sheath between the sump and engine gasket.

Fixed by lowering the sump by a couple of mm and pull out the sheath and refit.

Don't forget the screws in the oil filter cavity.

Ciao Tutti,

View attachment 13107
I have had some experience with oil leaks on a 2009.....
In increasing order of difficulty, here are the possible sources I have encountered:

1) Oil filter loose
2) Valve cover gaskets and seals - likely not your problem, will just leak down the outside of the engine

3) Oil collection tubes off the head- tend to split and deposit oil on the top of the engine - replace tubes and clamps

4) Revolution hall effect sensor - front of engine - small amounts of oil - replace the o-ring

5) Front oil seal - can be replaced with the engine in the bike by removing everything off the front of the engine

6) Crankshaft flange and or oil seal. This will dump oil out the bottom of the engine, look under the engine at the back of the oil pan. There is a rectangular opening and oil will leak out, collecting on the sidestand when the bike is parked.

Take the plug off the bell housing and have a look there - if it is leaking you should also be able to see oil on the plug. verify it is engine oil and not gear oil by the smell (gear oil has a sulphurous odour)

To fix this requires engine removal and separating the gearbox from the engine. The bolts holding the flange to the engine were too long which left a gap when torqued. You will need new shorter bolts, the originals were M8x25, replace with M8x20. Buy a new gasket and bolts and replace. You may want to replace the clutch plate if it has been contaminated and a new oil seal while you are in there.There is also an o-ring for the oil return from the flange that should be replaced.

Good luck, hopefully it is one of the easier fixes but I suspect it is the flange...

Upload 2017 8 9 8 40 31

4) Revolution hall effect sensor - front of engine - small amounts of oil - replace the o-ring

I'm thinking I have this issue on my 2012 Stelvio. Would a symptom of this be oil leaking from the right side of the plastic cover (I think it's the alternator belt housing)?

Thanks,
D

Back