• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio 2012 NTX

600 mile day of awesomeness today & didn't miss abeat - tho the 95deg weather sorta blew

With what I did last week it's ready for first service

brought mine home Thursday night and dropped it off today (Saturday) for it's first service with a little under 600 miles on it.
Lunch in Steamboat....via 11,307' Berthoud Pass.

NTX-BerthoudPass.jpg

We also went over 9,426' Rabbit Ears Pass, 8,772' Muddy Pass, and 10,249' Cameron Pass

Fine looking indeed!
It is a rare case that the protection bars aesthetically fit a bike.
As for the singing, would you describe it as mezzo-soprano or contralto?

Great pics...pick mine up on Thursday... :D

One question though. I notice on one of the stickers it lists the valve spec at 0.15 and 0.2. Thought this was changed to 0.2 and 0.25. The suervice manual show it at 0.2 and 0.25 (although in the instructions it has 0.15 and 0.2 but in the bike specs it has 0.2 and 0.25).

Can anyone shed some light on this one???? :?:

scottmastrocinque said:
What service manual are you looking at?

Page 69 confirms .10mm intake and .15mm exhaust

https://www.guzzitech.com/downloads...html?download=43:stelvio-service-manual-11-12

I have the same manual as you. Actually had my numbers wrong. Lets try this again...

The sticker says 0.1 and 0.15. Page Main 69 says 0.1 and 0.15, however Page Char-12 (Dimensions and Mass) has it at 0.15 and 0.2. THere was some talk earlier on the forum that it was changed to 0.15 and 0.2. When I spoke to the tech at my dealership, he said that he sets them at 0.18 and 0.22 (little loose on the spec). :blink: :blink: Am I missing something.....

I live in Cape town ,south Africa, In July last year i travelled through Europe on a Moto Guzz Quota , and preceeded to fall of on the Stelvio Pass in Italy [after seeing a Stelvio at Agostinis in Mandello del lario] When I got back to Cape town , and after mulling over the idea,and checking my financial situation, I decided to blow my lifes savings on a Stelvio NTX. What better way to remember my holiday, and the fact that i fell off on the Stelvio pass than to buy a Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX.
It was Absolutely No Problem, i looked at prices and discovered that i could get it more cheaply from the U.K.than anywhere else, looked at prices there ,got hold of Simon at Corsa Italiana in London and the rest as they say ,is history, It took longer [a month and a half] to register the bike, as it is the only one in S.A and had to be put onto the government computer system [so long to punch in the name "stelvio" ! ] Reading the forum about the problems the rest of you have I have realised that i was very very lucky to get my bike as speedily as i did , Thanks Simon for all you help
BTW the bike cost me 3 times what my average sized house cost when i bought it [O.K. so i bought the house 22 years ago, but still ! ]
Charlie

canuck1969 said:
scottmastrocinque said:

https://www.guzzitech.com/downloads...html?download=43:stelvio-service-manual-11-12

I have the same manual as you. Actually had my numbers wrong. Lets try this again...

The sticker says 0.1 and 0.15. Page Main 69 says 0.1 and 0.15, however Page Char-12 (Dimensions and Mass) has it at 0.15 and 0.2. THere was some talk earlier on the forum that it was changed to 0.15 and 0.2. When I spoke to the tech at my dealership, he said that he sets them at 0.18 and 0.22 (little loose on the spec). :blink: :blink: Am I missing something.....

Hey, it's your bike. For me, I'll set to the Factory sticker attached to the bike. ;)

scottmastrocinque said:
canuck1969 said:
scottmastrocinque said:

Hey, it's your bike. For me, I'll set to the Factory sticker attached to the bike. ;)

Was not looking for debate. Was not stating right or wrong...just trying to find out what the right spec is. I agree with what is on the sticker, but why the descrepancy between the sticker and the service manual....which one is right.

Your right...its my bike...and therefore want to have the correct spec. Not the first time a manual or sticker has been wrong.

Not sure what the advantage of having a 'nut and screw' type tappet adjustment is. It seems to me buckets and shims is a more precise science. I do know on all those past British bikes I have owned, this type of adjustment always left room for error. I don't know how many times I thought I had it right only to find that tightening up the nut caused the adjustment to move some. Perhaps now, many years later, I will be more patient and diligent. :lol:

Toadride said:
Not sure what the advantage of having a 'nut and screw' type tappet adjustment is. It seems to me buckets and shims is a more precise science. I do know on all those past British bikes I have owned, this type of adjustment always left room for error. I don't know how many times I thought I had it right only to find that tightening up the nut caused the adjustment to move some. Perhaps now, many years later, I will be more patient and diligent. :lol:
That totally depends on what you consider an advantage?

screw and locknut is super easy to do, needs no replacement parts - but usually has to be done at 6k intervals.

shim and bucket has longer intervals, 12k-15k and up. More involved mechanically as you sometimes have to remove the cams to replace shims - and you need a collection of shims (unless you have a dealer who will swap - but there's a time factor there still)

I like both, have no preference either way.
I LOVED that my FJR went 30k and all were still in spec....or that my ZX-14 went 20k and they were still fine.

I also really like going out in the garage on a Saturday morning to a cool bike and do the screw & locknut thing.
It's fairly common they don't need much adjustment, but since I've gone to the trouble of getting in there....they will be spot on before I button it back up.

No brainer for me...
Screw type all the way!
Although the 6000 miles is kinda the norm for checking, my G12 didn't need adjustments on the last interval, everything was spot on.
So I put the valve cover back on and call it a day.
Curious to see where the adjustments will be at the next time cause I'm 1000 miles shy of 12000 on no valve adjustment yet.

With more adjustments necessary, how does the gasket hold up? Does it become crushed and need replacement? Does it start leaking? Or is it rubber? :?:

And... ebay tool is sold. Looking on M G Cycle buy can't find it. Where can I get one?

Toadride said:
With more adjustments necessary, how does the gasket hold up? Does it become crushed and need replacement? Does it start leaking? Or is it rubber? :?:

And... ebay tool is sold. Looking on M G Cycle buy can't find it. Where can I get one?

:lol:

Go back to the link I gave, click it. To the right of the photo, click "Seller's other items". They will have another one listed.

:D

scottmastrocinque said:
canuck1969 said:
scottmastrocinque said:

The 0.1 and 0.15 mm definitely sound too tight for an air/oil cooled engine. My 2007 air/oil cooled 1200GS had spec 0.15 and 0.30. I think I will be setting mine to 0.15 and 0.20 for the first service.

I had it confirmed at another forum. The dealer was correct. It was changed after the North American release to 0.15 and 0.20. The service manual has it right in the spec, just wrong in the instructions. Apparently it has been updated in the technical site the dealers use. Why the sticker still has the old spec....old sticker I guess.

Back