• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio headlight upgrade comments

pbears

Tuned and Synch'ed
Have to say I am always slightly amazed when I read of folk wanting to upgrade or add to the standard lights and bulbs. For me and everyone I have ridden with, the Stelvio has the most effective lights we have ever seen on any bike of any brand.
Cheers. Martin

Re:Stelvio out and about pics here...

Pbears, you must be joking..:unsure: ...I was riding through last Saturday night, and quite frankly the lights are crap, I have ordered straight away a set of 80 percent brighter bulbs, to make night riding a rather less frightening afair, the standard lights just do not punch enough light into the centre section far enough to ride at any decent speed....70 is about your safe max on country lanes at night with the standard lights. I have never ridden a bike yet where the lighting system could not be improved.......maybe my vision is not so good at my ripe old age, but I like it to be as light as possible. I would like to see what is about to terminate my life span and avoid it ! If I carry on with the standard light system at night my life will surley be shorter....:woohoo:

I've got to agree NJC. I wouldn't say that the lights are crap though bt improvement sure can be done.
One thing, correect me if I'm wrong, is the diffusion of the light on the side... Do you experience the same thing? I mean at night it seems like some of the light is diffracted around the headlight creating like a ring of light that is perpendicular to the motion of the bike. I don't know if my explanation makes sense (forgive my english)
It's the first time I've had this 'thing' on a bike. Of course most of the light generated is going forward (where it should be! LOL) but I am sure this light ring (which is useless) detracts a bit of the power needed up front.

Wonder B....Yes I agree about this light ring, that lights up the hedges and tree tops either side of the bike, which unless you are a keen bird watcher at night seems to be a pointless waste of light.....I need to see at least half a mile ahead of me. When I get these new bulbs I will report back as to how much better they are. They are not cheap though. they are costing me £40.00 for two bulbs, so I expect some noticable inprovement. They are said to punch the light further into the distance at the centre, which is just where I feel it is needed. Plus the standard bulb when main beam is switched in does not seem to make much difference at all ! Maybe I also need to start eating 15 lbs of carrots each day ! :laugh:

I love the headlights- best I have ever had on a bike. I wonder if they are adjustable- so some bikes seem diefferent to others?

Edit- just checked the workshop manual- you can move them up and down, or left and right- saves having to have different spec lights for difefrent countries.

I think the lights on the Stelvio are pretty good too. One thing though for those having problems and think they are awfull is to adjust the lights with you sat on it as often with new bikes the factory have one setting for all bikes which might not be appropriate for your height and weight when riding.

I also have the fog lights on my bike which really widen the beam and proved better ilumination in all conditions.

Ref Head Lights, ok referring to them as crap was a little harsh !!!!! :unsure:

I did all the adjustments on mine, on a country lane, pitch black, not on main stand and bearing weight, got them to the optimum that they could reach, and I stand by my comments, they just are not good enough for fast night riding, there is room for improvement. I suspect we all ride different and have different expectations from our bikes, so maybe I expect to much. I love Guzzi but there is always room for bettering them....surely that is half the fun of ownership, if I did not enjoy that interaction I would not ride Guzzi, however if this my second Stelvio fails then I might consider my future loyalties......but I would still probably stay with Guzzi.:lol:

Cheers Nige

Please let us know the rate of improvement when you get those bulbs NJC (with the details on how to obtain them), I would surely do the same despite the price if they're worth it.
One thing though... since we have to ride with the lights on even during the day I just hope that those new bulbs won't cause too much strain on the car drivers, either the ones being followed or coming up front...
I had my lights re-adjusted after getting signals from all the cars coming the opposite way at night. I know the feeling when I am driving my car and I was sorry for them!

Yes I will let you know how they shape up, should get them soon, but will be unable to do any testing for a few weeks as am snowed under with other stuff. I also had the same problem with car drivers flashing me because my dip beam was set far to high, so had to adjust accordingly. With regard to the new bulbs, I would presume the additional strength will come into being when on full beam, so with regard to riding during the day as long as your dip beam are set correctly it should not bother other drivers.
I will take some photo comparisons, if the benefit is good enough.

Cheers Nige

I have my rear preload jacked right up to the sky- wonder if that is helping keep the beam down on to the road.

Guzzirider, yes I believe that will have the effect of lowering the light beam, but like Nomad said, always adjust/check the lights while the bike is bearing weight, or at least the rider, I also have my preload jacked right up as I am a heavy bugger. I also wear glasses and my night vision is maybe not as good as other people, in fact I am booked in for an eye test in January, and I am getting migrain headaches lately, so all this is probably contributing to me moaning about the lights on my beloved Stelvio, and its me that needs the upgrade ha ha !
:eek:hmy:
Cheers Nige

Stelvio is a great bike for us heavy buggers!

homer-simpson-fat.jpg

Damn!!! :laugh: I think we should create the "Heavy Buggers Stelvio Club" then! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Re:Another new Stelvio owner !!!

Main beam is just on one light, but you only need to put a wire between the two and you get both main beams.

Thanks all . . . . . . i have just been out and done as Gary said and put a link wire between the lights and now they are much better I can see at night what with the fog lights on as well :) I tend to ride fast even at night and we dont have many steet lights on the country roads where i live. . . . . . dont think they are still as good as my lod caponord lights but hay its a far better bike :)

I will go out and take a pic for you before i tape the wire to the loom. its really simple to do. i went to my local car breaker yard and cut the head light loom off one of the head lights (making sure it had H4 bulbs) I then removed the spade terminal and connected it to the blank space in my left head light connector.

I then ran the wire along the loom and scotch locked it on to the white wire (bottom right as you look at the connector) on the light. And now i can see !!!:laugh:

Right light scotch lock:

Left light with new wire in bottom right:

And the recycled loom part:

What he's trying to say is on one lamp you got 2 connections, on the other you got 3. Just spade connect the third connection to the missing one.

Interesting thread. I wouldnt trust the scotchlock connector very long. My experience is that those things dont hold up well in the long term, especially with any weather exposure.

Back