• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio headlight upgrade comments

I've upgraded mine with the blue effect bulbs, definately helps with overtaking !

bigtex wrote:
eimers01 wrote:
I installed a pair of Xenon HID in my headlights.
Look at the diffirence between Halogen and Xenon:

Where did you buy your kit? I have had to return 2 so far.

I bought 2 kits by TLM in Nijmegen Holland.
http://www.tlm.nl/magazijn/webshop/detail.html?aid=17295
But it is a lot of work to install them (without a manual)
It took me and a technical friend of my appr. 9 hours to install the two kits.
You have to figure out where to place the two "ballasten" (i can't translate it)
You have to remove nearly all of the bodywork, and that is a lot of screws!
And you have to make adjustments to hole of the headlights. Broaden it to fit.

greetz
Dikkiedik

The HID lights are alo illegal in the UK as aftermarket fitments. In fact probably the same throughout the EU, certainly unless the lights are "E" marked, which most are not.

There aren't legal here in the US, but it is generally not enforced. Too bad to, because people install them poorly and blind you, but nobody does anything about it.

Wayne Orwig wrote:
There aren't legal here in the US...
Wayne, you sure? Almost every luxury car, $30k and up (some less of course) comes with HIDs standard, and Victory Motorcycles used to deliver them standard on the last generation Cruisers. The lens assembly was built by JW Speaker, and I run one on my Jackal. Nice piece (shown in the action pic at the bottom as well):

GT-Rx wrote:
Wayne Orwig wrote:
There aren't legal here in the US...
Wayne, you sure? Almost every luxury car, $30k and up (some less of course) comes with HIDs standard, and Victory Motorcycles used to deliver them standard on the last generation Cruisers. The lens assembly was built by JW Speaker, and I run one on my Jackal.

You are correct. Even my wifes car has them (and I dislike them, see long rant below..).

But, to be legal the entire unit must be made for them (the reflector in particular). Just shoving an aftermarket HID one in an H4 reflector is not legal. The plasma light 'envelope' from the HID bulb is much larger then a small H4 filament, so focusing is different.

As far as I know, no legal bulb inserts yet exist. Though they are getting better at building in moving shields and such. Now an entire headlight, that could be a different story altogether.

(I was led to understand the vehicle needed an active auto leveling suspension in order to use them too, but that may not be true)

[rant]
My wifes Lincoln Mark VIII has HID bulbs.
1)They don't last as long as you might expect. Now that it is over 10 years old, Sylvania has decided to abandon production of that bulb style. I can no longer repair a burned out bulb. I have had two go bad in the 10 years of ownership.
2)The blueish light is a bad idea. At first, you notice how bright road signs are and the first impression is that they are great. Then you start to realize that items you NEED to see (deer, the side of the road, etc.) aren't illuminated well by that bluish light. If you must get them, avoid the blue color temperature lights for many reasons.
3) They are far from instant on. Drive into a tunnel, need light, too bad, you need to wait a few seconds. (a none issue on a motorcycle with them on full time, but you can not use one for high beam unless you take the low beam one and refocus/move it quickly)
[/rant]

I think that the after market HID units are not legal - factory installed are fine. The after market are not tested so as to have the all important 'US Federal Government Seal of Approval with appropriate fees paid'. Kind of like non-DOT approved after market exhaust systems - technically illegal becasue not tested, but that condition not really enforced. Just a thought.

Well, the standards aren't exactly new, AFAIK. Look at about any Jap bike with double optics. Most all use one for low, the other for high (with the low kept burning).

There is something about a minimum distance between the lights. On the Norge, the spread is apparently wide enough to allow both low beams to be on at the same time, but the high beam projectors are very close, I'm not sure how that tunes in with said standards.

It's clear that when I do a 'continuous flash' :), I get quite a good lighting ... what with 4 bulbs and some 240W shining up the road!

Back