• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio issues

Got a reply from Moto Strada:

"Many thanks for your enquiry.
The kit to replace the cam box to a roller version would be £729.00 inc VAT to supply only. If you require us to post this to you, the postal cost would be £16.95; therefore £745.95 in total.

If you wish to go ahead and purchase the kit, once ordered with the supplier it would take 5-10 working days before the item reached us (due to the Christmas period this obviously will be longer). As soon as we received the kit we would contact you and get it in the post.
If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us."

I have asked the question about MG's willingness to replace earlier bike's with cam failure free of charge other than labour costs...in the meanwhile, I need to go a trace two new mysterious oil leaks that appeared over the last week.... :evil:

mohawkeye said:
Got the Stelvio back from the dealer last Friday afternoon. It's an '09 and has ~47,500 miles (76,400km). At first the mechanic thought there may be a burnt valve, but that wasn't the case. They replaced two valve lifters and one cam, and with an oil change the cost was under 4 figures ($). Unfortunately, they had no answer for what caused the damage on the replaced lifters and cam, but I could clearly see the damage (pics to follow, as soon as I get off my ass and get out the camera). The engine's running well again!

Thanks - this is very helpful as I have encountered the same issue - very loud on the left side.

Any chance of some pictures of the damage to help confirm? - I think I have had every problem with the Stelvio, this is getting tiring but I still love the bike.....

I promised a couple of months ago to post pics, and still haven't :oops: . I'll try to take a few this afternoon, and will do my best to get them posted this weekend.

BTW 11514v, are you still in TO? I used to live there, at the very east end of Queen St in the "Beaches" neighborhood.

Just took some pics of the replaced cam & lifters (hope they're adequate - the camera's battery was just about dead; I'll download 'em to the 'puter after the battery's recharged). There's galling on the lobes (one more so than the other) and one of the lifters looks really burned or tarnished.

Not sure how to post this to an interested tech so I'll start here. Just bought a new V7 Racer. Had it in three times now under 300 miles for starting issue unresolved at dealer. Randomly, I will start it and the tach jumps to exactly 4,000 rpm and then immediately shuts off ignition.

Dealer has reflashed ECU and did something with the TPS to no avail. I wannnnnaaa ride. Anyone got an idea?
Thanks, Robert

mohawkeye said:
BTW 11514v, are you still in TO? I used to live there, at the very east end of Queen St in the "Beaches" neighborhood.

Just took some pics of the replaced cam & lifters (hope they're adequate - the camera's battery was just about dead; I'll download 'em to the 'puter after the battery's recharged). There's galling on the lobes (one more so than the other) and one of the lifters looks really burned or tarnished.
Thanks, Looking forward to the pictures.

I am now in Hamilton, was glad to get out of Toronto, I was on the west side near high park, it is almost the same level of (in)convenience to get downtown from Hamilton as living in the city.

I see you are in California - that should have improved the length of the riding season quite a bit from TO! looking forward to the spring.....

Riding season is indeed 12 months :D although the temp yesterday AM at opening time at Newcomb's ranch halfway up Angeles Crest Hwy was 22 degrees F.

What I didn't mention regarding TO is that we lived there 1972 - 1978; beaches area wasn't nearly as developed as it is currently. In 2010 we visited friends who still live in the same house as they did when we left for SoCal, and while we recognized the neighborhood, Queen was sooo much more "trendy."

Here are the pics. Quality ain't that good, but I had to downsize 'em quite a bit -- hope they help.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 734
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 728
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 727
mohawkeye said:
Riding season is indeed 12 months :D although the temp yesterday AM at opening time at Newcomb's ranch halfway up Angeles Crest Hwy was 22 degrees F.

What I didn't mention regarding TO is that we lived there 1972 - 1978; beaches area wasn't nearly as developed as it is currently. In 2010 we visited friends who still live in the same house as they did when we left for SoCal, and while we recognized the neighborhood, Queen was sooo much more "trendy."

Here are the pics. Quality ain't that good, but I had to downsize 'em quite a bit -- hope they help.

Thanks a lot for the pictures - much appreciated, hopefully mine will get sorted out by Guzzi.

As for Toronto and the beaches - it certainly has become a lot more expensive to live there and the quality of life has declined. Not sure what Pasadena is like but the weather is certainly better though -5 C is probably not great for motorcycling!

-5C is ok as long as you're wearing heated gear. My riding buddy doesn't, and his fingertips nearly lost sensation; he had put his left hand between the forward & rear jugs (Buell XB12S) on the straights, but that was a very temporary respite!

Wife & I had talked of trying to find a small vacation home near the beach (during our 2010 visit), but prices are about as bad as here in SoCal. One reason we like Toronto so much is that public transportation is so much better than it is here - it was so much easier and more fun for us to go places there than it is here...

Again, hope the pics help, if you need to use 'em!

I brought my 09 into the dealer at the end of the November. It was making more noise than normal on the right side. Eyeballing it seemed to confirm that there was failure.

As you all know, there are 3 sets of roller kits that Guzzi is going to provide and the kit for the 09 is not available yet.

Not wanting to lose any precious riding this Spring, I sourced a set of new cams and tappets and had the dealer install. They are hanging on to the bad bits for the claim for the rollers. They still have not received any word from Guzzi yet as to the time frame for the 09's (A5) kit.

I got 50,000 miles out of the first set, so I'm not sweating the time frame, but it would be nice to know when they're going to be available.

Doug

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Is there the hypothesis out there that the spring rates on the valve springs are incorrect and abnormally wear a particular lobe/tappet?

Doug

WitchCityBallabio said:
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of that.
Is there the hypothesis out there that the spring rates on the valve springs are incorrect and abnormally wear a particular lobe/tappet?

That was the root cause of the issues for the Guzzi hydraulic lifter failures a decade ago.

And I know of at least one Stelvio that had a lifter/cam failure. That failure was later repeated on the SAME lifter, and the dealer simply replace the cam and lifter a second time. They did not go deeper into it.
Replacing the same parts for the same failure repeatedly without looking for the cause is insane. It may not be the springs, but there isn't much left.

My 09 is just under 50K miles. I hoped I was beyond any failures. I'll continue adding zinc spooge to the oil to make me feel like I'm helping. :lol:

Apparently, the factory has B & C kits are ready. No word of them on the U.S. dealer portal yet. Can't be long now.

I just got off the phone with Piaggio/Moto Guzzi USA. My 09 Stelvio has been in the shop for nearly 3 months with the expectation that the roller rocker "kit" would be forthcoming and the understanding that the parts would be covered but that I would pay for labor. My dealer finally encouraged me (didn't take much) to call HQ. They very nicely told me that there was no "campaign" or "kit" planned for the US.

Bloomie said:
I just got off the phone with Piaggio/Moto Guzzi USA. My 09 Stelvio has been in the shop for nearly 3 months with the expectation that the roller rocker "kit" would be forthcoming and the understanding that the parts would be covered but that I would pay for labor. My dealer finally encouraged me (didn't take much) to call HQ. They very nicely told me that there was no "campaign" or "kit" planned for the US.

This is F#@*ing annoying! I have 40k on mine (09 as well) and a nasty noise out of the left side. I have been very patient but this is starting to wear thin. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect an internal combustion engine to last 40k without the valve train wearing out. WTF are we supposed to do - keep replacing the cams and lifters as a service item? I don't remember seeing that in the service book...

When I had the mirrors fall apart at 10 k I was originally informed that this was a wear item! Maybe the cams are as well?

Come on Piaggio - you can do better than this surely?

They did say that I should keep my receipts in case! Nice. There is obviously an engineering defect that they acknowledge but aren't standing behind. Seems like bad business to me. I've been an evangelist for MG before this. Even though I had the main seal lead TWICE! I really don't know what to think now. I'm going to Austin this weekend for MotoGP. There is a show "The Handbuilt Motorcycle Show" there that MG is sponsoring. I'm going to the show...I'll be looking for their rep!

Back