• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

stelvio, large tank, repair / best adhesive

bth2bth2

Just got it firing!
hi all,
i have removed my tank ,my first time, found it relativly easy. in doing so i have had to "spin" out the two stud come spacers at the front of the tank.
i will be replacing them with better inserts. what would be the best adhesive or filler to use for a more perminant repair.

thanks

Everybody way way way overtightens those nuts and strips out the inserts in the fuel tank.

I don’t know why. Those winglets require ABSOLUTELY no torque on that bolt at all.

In my case, after the dealer stripped them, I used a Dremel with a very fine drill bit and I put some holes diagonal to the bolt retainer. I then used superglue as the tube has a very small tube dispenser, which I simply inserted into the holes I drilled. The superglue is very thin liquid and it spread all around the bolt threaded barrel inside the tank.

Since I repaired it like this, it’s never moved on me since.

YMMV.

Good Luck!

Hi Brian,

I did something similar to my 2013 Stelvio tank as the inserts had been stripped by the previous owner.
But I was doing the "canisterectomy" and had to take those pieces apart.
I found some stainless/metric furniture "tee nuts" that I used as a new inserts.
They worked really well. When I made room for the new insert I slightly compromised the fuel tank while dremeling the space and the epoxy that I used was "resistant", but not fuel "proof". It eventually failed. I've since swapped tanks and am looking for a fuelPROOF epoxy to repair the original one with.
Good luck!
RD

Hi Brian,

I did something similar to my 2013 Stelvio tank as the inserts had been stripped by the previous owner.
But I was doing the "canisterectomy" and had to take those pieces apart.
I found some stainless/metric furniture "tee nuts" that I used as a new inserts.
They worked really well. When I made room for the new insert I slightly compromised the fuel tank while dremeling the space and the epoxy that I used was "resistant", but not fuel "proof". It eventually failed. I've since swapped tanks and am looking for a fuelPROOF epoxy to repair the original one with.
Good luck!
RD
yes i like that idea. those inserts have plenty of grip.

Guys. Please realize what this insert is for and what it really is holding.

It’s a mounting point for a 5oz piece of plastic wind wing which is held both at the top and bottom. That’s it.

It’s not holding the motorcycle together and I’ve already told you that some simple, very small holes drilled tangential or diagonally to the insert, will allow you to squirt in sufficient super glue that will lock the insert in place and as long as you never put any real torque on that bolt (which it doesn’t need anyway), you will be right as rain.

You are overthinking this and that was the cause of the failure of that type of repair. In essence, you are contemplating using a sledgehammer to do the job of a tiny finish nail hammer.

Back