Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Stelvio on the Gap

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by canuck1969, Sep 30, 2015.

1. canuck1969

canuck1969 GT Reference GT Contributor

Took the Stelvio on to Deals Gap during my trip to the south. Finally got the pictures I wanted. Weather managed to hold out for the day we were there in light of the hurricane rains coming from the gulf. Just finishing up the trip up the Blue Ridge and then home. Had to make a detour on the parkway around Roanoke due to flooding taking out a bridge. Hopefully beat the weather back up north.

Pictures to [​IMG] follow

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  2. canuck1969

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. AlanNZ

AlanNZ Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Nice photos. Are you using those highway pegs much? Do you feel the engine heat much when using them?
    Alan NZ

4. canuck1969

Not as much as putting my feet on the rear pegs but I do use them on long runs. Worth the money to me as it gives one more position to stretch out.

Don't really feel the heat but i also where riding pants so that may reduce the heat. Have not melted them yet so that must be a good sign.

5. cognosticator

cognosticator Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I bought my new 2013 on Sept 19th in Dahlonega GA. Next day I went across the Cherohala and then north to ride Deals Gap. Looks like you had pretty good weather. Did you scrape your side stand any? I ground mine down some, scared the crap outta me every time.

Glad you got to make it down here.

6. StormShearon

StormShearon Cruisin' Guzzisti

I noticed that you appear to have a toolbox of some sort mounted inboard of the right side pannier. Can you give some details on what kind of box that is as it looks like a very good solution to carry tools and such?

7. canuck1969

Weather stayed good for that day. Rained and cold for the other days.

Center stand was ok. Side of my foot touches down first. May want to crank up your front and rear pre load. You may have your sag too low.

8. canuck1969

Bought it from the link below in Italy. They will ship it anywhere for a reasonable cost. Had it in 3 days.

Perfect size for all my tools. Waterproof also and easy to install.

http://www.mtechaccessories.com/eng/products_for_motorbike/accessories/dettaglio/200/tool_case.html

9. StormShearon

StormShearon Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks for the link - much appreciated.

10. tecpatl4

tecpatl4 Just got it firing!

I'm going to do this same thing in about 2 weeks, starting from Ohio. Hopefully it won't be too cold.

11. cuzen jeff

cuzen jeff Just got it firing!

Hey Canuck, it looks like you have a pillion pad on the top case, if so does it work well for two up?

12. Bonafide Bob

Bonafide Bob Tuned and Synch'ed

Great pictures.
    Bob

13. canuck1969

If anything hopefully is warms up and stays dry for you. Day after the run on the gap it poured rain for two days and temps in the 40's. Glad I brought my heated gear.

I've came down through Ohio. Had to do our traditional stop at Iron Pony near Dublin. When you go through Kentucky, divert of the interstate and take Kentucky 89 through Daniel Boone National Forest. Tons of twisters. Like a really big deals gap that goes on for miles. We actually got to the point that we looked forward to the interstate for some straight roads.

Foothills parkway is another nice run. Entrance is about 10 minutes past the end of the gap run.

Enjoy and be safe. Guy on a Harley went down just ahead of us. Was moving when we went by. Luckily the guy behind him was a paramedic. Story was a truck crossed the centre line and clipped him. It is not me I worry about when I ride that road, it's the other people. Keeps your eyes up and ride safe.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  14. canuck1969

Works perfectly. No issues on room. Wife won't ride on it without it.

15. cuzen jeff

cuzen jeff Just got it firing!

Where did ya get the pad? That looks like a Givi box.

16. canuck1969

It is a Givi box, but actually purchased from Moto Guzzi with the Givi emblems removed and MG added. Pad came with the box. Got it from a friend that had it on his 2010 Stelvio but bought new luggage. Same as an Givi E450. Looks like they changed the design of the backrest so it can fit multiple models making it smaller but still look effective. The one on mine is sculpted to the back of the box so it is not a one size fits all.

17. cognosticator

Damn you ;) I just spent more money and only had the bike 3 weeks thanks for the link, it will be great for keeping my tire repair kit, tool kit and small air compressor. I always take those with me no matter how short the ride. The tire repair kit has come in handy on a few occasions, thankfully not for me though.

18. canuck1969

Guess I won't show you the oil cooler, carc and rear brake reservoir guards. Then there are the dual Fiamm horns, hand guard lights, euro signals and mirrors, led aux lights, strobing rear brake light, pannier liners, oxford heated grips, highway pegs and the best of them all........the heated Corbin seat. That could all be dangerous.

I remember when I bought the bike I told my wife it came with everything and I didn't need to buy anything else.....she just laughs and shakes her head now.

Of course, I did have to buy a spare V-Strom just in case the Guzzi broke down. 30,000 miles and still ticking along so the V-Strom is not getting ridden as much.

19. cognosticator

LOL, I spent enough with Todd on the fueling and a few other items, not to mention AF1, Twisted Throttle etc etc

I have 3 backups just in case, a Speed Triple, Harley Heritage classic and a Kaw ER6n.