• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio - to buy or not to buy?

Olaf Roepke

Just got it firing!
Hi everyone,

New to this forum but I am currently considering buying a dual sports bike. It comes down for me to the Ducati Multistrada 1200 (s), BMW R1200 GS or the Stelvio. I don't think the Multistrada is for me (more power than I need and probably too expensive to maintain). I rented a GS (2005 model) for a day and loved the torque, although what annoyed me was the stupid handlebar switches setup and the sideways movement when accelerating/decelerating.

I assume all of you here will recommend to me to try the Guzzi (its a Guzzi forum after all!), but tell me what is better about a Stelvio compared to a GS.

Some additional info, I intend to spend ~$11,000, looking at a 2-3 year old model. I have 30 years of riding experience and I am 6'1' with 34 inseam if that matters. Thanks a lot!

All depends on what you want to do with the bike. You said you wanted a Dual Sport. I would not classify any of those as a dual sport. There adventure tours....which means road bias. They can do gravel and the odd dirt trail, but if you are looking to do Ewan and Charley adventures....go smaller. If you are looking for true off road capabilities comparable to say a dirt bike, then I would be looking for something smaller. How much off roading will you be doing?

Great videos! I should have mentioned Adventure Sport not Dual Sport. My goal is not to take the bike off-road, just the occasional gravel road maybe, so I call it a 95/5 street/off-road use. My main interest would be to hear from someone how this bike compares to the beemer. From what I read, engine torque curves and hp are similar. What about reliability, availability of spare parts, etc. I am located in Central Texas so there aren't that many Guzzis around here.

Capable off road

and on tarmac

Well capable enough fro my limited talents

Buy one, use it, get it dirty:)

Never said it couldn't....said if that is your entire cup of tea, go smaller.

Someone on ADV did a great beemer vs Stelvio comparison. They have a thread started there on the Stelvio. Just need to do a search for it.

Having not owned a Stelvio but having owned a 2007 Norge and the current 2014 California plus between those 2 a 2010 BMW R1200GS low version due to my 28" inseam I feel I may chime in. I hat the Norge over 3-1/2 years. It had soe problems that I had to deal with but I still rode it for 26,000 miles before my lack of trust caused me to sell it. The new owner has had no problems. The GS I bough used in March 2012. Was it a good bike? If forced to make that call solely on logic, yes. I referred to it as a German Harley because of all the accessories you can buy for it and some you have to. The stock foot pegs are way too small and the junk shocks are unbelievably crap. Though the telever front was great. Still needed a better shock. The bike had no personality and I never really liked it so it went up for sale in September and I lost a bundle by the time I sold it in December. In February I bought a Suzuki V- Strom 650 Adventure I liked a lot more.
The call of the personality of a Guzzi was still there though and while I wanted a Stelvio I am just too short to be comfortable on one plus the lady friend wanted something comfy for her. Being lucky enough to be able to have more tan one bike I bought the California Touring. I will say Guzzi still overlooks blatent mistakes in their design that causes the customer grief. The bikes though have a personality that grows on you and once you get the foibles fixed you'll bond to it.
I claim the Guzzi is the mistress of my bikes and the Japanese bikes are the faithful wife you can count on.

My $0.02. YMMV

Olaf,

There are more Guzzis in TX than you think! As stated, you've got AF1 in Austin and MPH in Houston (one of the top ~5 dealers / experts in the US). There is a thread a few down about a Stelvio at CoTA a few weeks ago - 136mph top speed!

I can't help compare much since my new Stelvio is replacing a 2008 1200 Sport - I love the Guzzi character, ease of maintenance, character.... Compared to my previous Japanese bikes, Guzzis just have "soul".

I did consider an R1200GS but a couple of things turned me off: cost / lack of value in the purchase, less than stellar reliability for final drive (I know that you just hear the horror stories online), and I don't like the beak and overall looks. I also looked into a new V-Strom 1000 and Super Tenere but neither had any character - extremely well engineered but neither stirred me like the Stelvio.

So, I was down to a 2009-2011 base Stelvio or a 2012+ NTX. I chose a new 2014 in Matte Green - my wife insisted on a new bike (thinking I would be tinkering on it less) and she says I need to keep this one for several years. There are many low mileage NTXs around that might fit your budget, or certainly q previous generation would. I'll also be 90% road touring and 10% gravel roads - I won't seek out any "off road" but wouldn't be hesitant about trying it either.

Try to get a test ride at AF1. After that, we'll all be welcoming you to the family!

Tom

Hi everyone,

New to this forum but I am currently considering buying a dual sports bike. It comes down for me to the Ducati Multistrada 1200 (s), BMW R1200 GS or the Stelvio. I don't think the Multistrada is for me (more power than I need and probably too expensive to maintain). I rented a GS (2005 model) for a day and loved the torque, although what annoyed me was the stupid handlebar switches setup and the sideways movement when accelerating/decelerating.

I assume all of you here will recommend to me to try the Guzzi (its a Guzzi forum after all!), but tell me what is better about a Stelvio compared to a GS.

Some additional info, I intend to spend ~$11,000, looking at a 2-3 year old model. I have 30 years of riding experience and I am 6'1' with 34 inseam if that matters. Thanks a lot!
Do you want something special? Buy the Guzzi, if you just want value for money then get a V-strom, the BMW is overpriced IMO and bland. If the multi strada is a bit much then look at the Aprilia Caponord but I would still recommend the Stelvio if you want something that has real personality.

I was a BMW guy until I bought a 2012 Griso. The character that bike has prompted me to sell my 2008 GSA and order a 2013 Stelvio. I've had it for 20 months and 26k miles now and absolutely love this bike. It's better on dirt or asphalt than the GSA, it handles better and cruises at illegal speeds easier. The stock seat is better, the stock headlights are better and it's a breeze to service. I'm 325 miles from the nearest dealer, but I'm 300 miles from the nearest BMW dealer too.

Thanks guys! Went to AF1 over the weekend and sat on the Stelvio. Felt like a good fit! Will return in the next days with my riding gear and test ride it. I also checked out the Caponord while I was there, slick bike, but I think the Stelvio is more for me. I'll let y'all know how things are going!

I've had the last 6 incarnations of the BMW gs, including a 2013 water cooled all singing all dancing TE version.

In my opinion the best of the gs's are the "Twin cam" varients.

A couple of major problems with the 2013 wc really led me to fall out of love with the gs,in fact when I swapped my 2011 twin cam for it I was on the verge of purchasing a new Stelvio NTX,but my good lady talked me into getting the new gs rather than the Stelvio.

16mnts after taking delivery of the new gs and somewhat disillusioned with it I went for a 270ml test ride on a 2014 Stelvio.

On paper the BMW r1200gs wc te should be a far superior bike to the MOTO GUZZI Stelvio NTX. plus all the reports you read would suggest this is the true.

Well,let me tell you that what's written on paper and what so called unbiased test riders report is not allways how it is in reality.

I'm 10 weeks and 3000mls into ownership of my 2014 Stelvio NTX and to say I love this bike is an understatement.

On paper it's a lot slower than say a new gs or Triumph explorer but real live experience tells me that in the real world it's not.

The gs does nothing that the Stelvio can't do but the Stelvio is just 100% more engaging to ride,plus it's got real sole.

The only thing that disappoints with the Stelvio is the fact that I didn't discover Moto Guzzi 20yrs ago.

One piece of advice I would give is when you test ride make it a long one, the charecteristics of the Stelvio take a while to adjust to.
For me it's been one of those purchases in life where, rather than the excitement of the newness start to wear of after a couple of weeks it just gets greater.

Steve

Thanks Steve, that's the kind of comments that are very helpful. I have the feeling that a lot of the bike comparisons are a bit biased towards the GS, so some real world experience from a rider that had both the GS and the Guzzi is worth more for me!

Thanks Steve, that's the kind of comments that are very helpful. I have the feeling that a lot of the bike comparisons are a bit biased towards the GS, so some real world experience from a rider that had both the GS and the Guzzi is worth more for me!
Got a bit frustrated this year, more with Piaggio UK (the UK MG importers) than with the bike but I went to test ride a Honda Crosstourer V4 1200. Couldn't fault it but I would never buy one, no soul.

I've had the last 6 incarnations of the BMW gs, including a 2013 water cooled all singing all dancing TE version.

In my opinion the best of the gs's are the "Twin cam" varients.

A couple of major problems with the 2013 wc really led me to fall out of love with the gs,in fact when I swapped my 2011 twin cam for it I was on the verge of purchasing a new Stelvio NTX,but my good lady talked me into getting the new gs rather than the Stelvio.

16mnts after taking delivery of the new gs and somewhat disillusioned with it I went for a 270ml test ride on a 2014 Stelvio.

On paper the BMW r1200gs wc te should be a far superior bike to the MOTO GUZZI Stelvio NTX. plus all the reports you read would suggest this is the true.

Well,let me tell you that what's written on paper and what so called unbiased test riders report is not allways how it is in reality.

I'm 10 weeks and 3000mls into ownership of my 2014 Stelvio NTX and to say I love this bike is an understatement.

On paper it's a lot slower than say a new gs or Triumph explorer but real live experience tells me that in the real world it's not.

The gs does nothing that the Stelvio can't do but the Stelvio is just 100% more engaging to ride,plus it's got real sole.

The only thing that disappoints with the Stelvio is the fact that I didn't discover Moto Guzzi 20yrs ago.

One piece of advice I would give is when you test ride make it a long one, the charecteristics of the Stelvio take a while to adjust to.
For me it's been one of those purchases in life where, rather than the excitement of the newness start to wear of after a couple of weeks it just gets greater.

Steve
What problems did you have with the GS wc Steve. A friend has just bought one. I haven't ridden it yet.
Alan NZ

What problems did you have with the GS wc Steve. A friend has just bought one. I haven't ridden it yet.
Alan NZ

Hi Alan,
Biggest problem was with the gearbox/clutch, well documented on many forums, plus corrosion on the engine and the semi active suspension stopped being semi active after around 3kmls.

Whilst BMW where prepared to put a new engine and gearbox in the bike,they couldn't guarantee this would solve the problem.
They said the suspension was ok,it was my bike it wasn't.

I don't know about elsewhere in the world but in the UK they where swapping gs's for new one's that where not as bad as mine but they would not swap mine ?

It turns out that the vast majority of bikes bmw where swapping had been purchased on PCP,which I believe is some sort of leasing package,so most of the bikes they where swapping actually still belonged to them and presumably just went back onto the open market,whilst at the same time clocking up another sale on a new bike for them.

One senior sales person actually said to me the biggest mistake I had made was to have paid for my bike in full.

Whether right or wrong I'm not the type of person that wants to get involved in long and contrived negotiations,yes it might cost me a healthy wedge of cash,but I'd rather just move on.

Don't get me wrong the 1200gs wc was not a bad bike in fact it was a very good bike but at £14,200 it should have been near perfect,but even though it was a very capable bike it just did not float my boat.

I'd find it difficult to describe why the Stelvio puts a such a big smile on my face,maybe it's because it feels like a proper motorbike and I'm in charge,wheras you're never quite sure when the "electrickery" of the gs is going to take over and intrude on your riding pleasure.

All in all it was a fairly costly experience,but at nearly 60 and with 43yrs of continuous riding behind me,I'm not prepared to waste precious time riding something that's not a pleasure every time I go out..as they say "It's only money" !

Steve

,they couldn't guarantee a fix for the clutch/gearbox.

My mate's got a GS LC and when he first got it, the gearbox was appalling. Now, after 15000km, it's loosened up to the point of being quite nice. Not a patch on the Stelvio's though :)

Hi Alan,
Biggest problem was with the gearbox/clutch, well documented on many forums, plus corrosion on the engine and the semi active suspension stopped being semi active after around 3kmls.

Whilst BMW where prepared to put a new engine and gearbox in the bike,they couldn't guarantee this would solve the problem.
They said the suspension was ok,it was my bike it wasn't.

I don't know about elsewhere in the world but in the UK they where swapping gs's for new one's that where not as bad as mine but they would not swap mine ?

It turns out that the vast majority of bikes bmw where swapping had been purchased on PCP,which I believe is some sort of leasing package,so most of the bikes they where swapping actually still belonged to them and presumably just went back onto the open market,whilst at the same time clocking up another sale on a new bike for them.

One senior sales person actually said to me the biggest mistake I had made was to have paid for my bike in full.

Whether right or wrong I'm not the type of person that wants to get involved in long and contrived negotiations,yes it might cost me a healthy wedge of cash,but I'd rather just move on.

Don't get me wrong the 1200gs wc was not a bad bike in fact it was a very good bike but at £14,200 it should have been near perfect,but even though it was a very capable bike it just did not float my boat.

I'd find it difficult to describe why the Stelvio puts a such a big smile on my face,maybe it's because it feels like a proper motorbike and I'm in charge,wheras you're never quite sure when the "electrickery" of the gs is going to take over and intrude on your riding pleasure.

All in all it was a fairly costly experience,but at nearly 60 and with 43yrs of continuous riding behind me,I'm not prepared to waste precious time riding something that's not a pleasure every time I go out..as they say "It's only money" !

Steve

,they couldn't guarantee a fix for the clutch/gearbox.
I just had a bit of a troll through the UKGSer forum and you would think twice about buying a new 1200GS LC after looking there. However, they have sold so many that the problems probably represent a small % overall. Where BMW seem to do well is in honouring their warrantee problems - so the noise goes down when owners have issues. Also, many owners seem to be nervous about keeping their bikes beyond the warrantee. No good for me - I've got a shed full of bikes that I can't seem to let go of. I can't see me trading the NTX any time soon.
Alan NZ

I just had a bit of a troll through the UKGSer forum and you would think twice about buying a new 1200GS LC after looking there. However, they have sold so many that the problems probably represent a small % overall. Where BMW seem to do well is in honouring their warrantee problems - so the noise goes down when owners have issues. Also, many owners seem to be nervous about keeping their bikes beyond the warrantee. No good for me - I've got a shed full of bikes that I can't seem to let go of. I can't see me trading the NTX any time soon.
Alan NZ

Been thinking about trading my 2010 stelvio for the newer 3rd generation Stelvio with the larger tank and other upgrades. My bike is like new and only has about 6,000 miles. (yes ,sadly I have had some serious family health issues and haven't had much time to ride). My question is - Is the newer stelvio worth it considering I have added all the goodies available for the stelvio on my 2010. I love my bike but now that the stelvio is going to be discontinued I am wondering if I should grab a 2016 or hold on to my 2010. Any advice???

Back