• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio windscreen

Parson

Just got it firing!
Looking for alternative to stock windshield. Wind seems to flow over the top right into helmet visor for loud roaring.

Any thoughts on aftermarket or alterations options?

It is just the top that is a problem.

2012 Stelvio

Parson said:
I see the 2011 listed but nothing for 2012. Any idea if there are any differences between the years?

Download the 11-12 Stelvio parts manual from the downloads section. If the 11 and 12 use the same part number, then the windshields are the same.

I have a taller shield made by Givi on my 2009. It works pretty well.

And just looking at them, the 2012 IS different over the headlights. So the older versions may not fit. But it looks almost like a change just for the sake of change.

I had a CalSci screen on my NTX for about 15 minutes. Sent it back. Although the CalSci screens are well made they are a simple curved screen that does not match the fairly complex shape of the NTX front end. My screen was binding on the body work and thus was no longer adjustable for up and down. CalSci is now offering a fix consisting of two large diameter washers and two longer screws. This may solve the binding issue.

FWIW, I got a quick refund and the customer service was very good.

Peter Y.

I had the same buffeting problems. Was better with the screen all the way down then up but then got to much air on the chest. I added a MRA X-Screen Add on to my 2012 NTX and the problem went away. With the screen 3/4's up, the air goes right over my helmet. Between the screen adjustment and the wing adjustment, I can put the air anywhere I want. Great investment if you ask me. You can pick them up at Twisted Throttle.
twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-cr ... de-bolt-on

Thanks for the info.

Now my wife insists on top box with back rest and fold down arm rests. Anything out there other than off a snow machine? She is spoiled with the support she has on the snowmachine.

In my case that solution works pretty well - givi.it/Screens--spoilers/AIRFLOW/.
I just bought the top part givi.it/Screens--spoilers/Optionals/Z1997R)+ mounts givi.it/Screens--spoilers/Optionals/Z1963R) + DIY wholes.

GIVIAirflowexplanation.jpg

Regards,
Slawek

Hey borch, that sounds perfect! I've been looking for something like that. Do you have photos of it installed on your Stelvio? Would love to see how it looks.

I don't have many photos, but here you are. Original is in the lowest position and Givi few centimeters below my eyes, of course it depends on your preferences. Now riding with visor up is not a problem. Looks weird but works.
I saw few GS's with it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I fitted a Vario X-creen a while back and love it. I can ride at up to 70 mph with my visor up no problem. What I do have a problem with is updraft from my chest which seems to come from the area between the screen and the bars. It blows my beard round something chronic! My fault really, as I use an open face lid with a long visor. I have an '09 and I note that the new shape has deflectors which cure this, I'd guess. I'd fit them to mine, but I far prefer the look of the older model and as I'm coming up to 20k on it, I think I'll just carry on.

notasweetman said:
My fault really, as I use an open face lid with a long visor.
As you can see I have Schuberth J1 & C3. Generally J1 is perfect but when it is really cold C3 is better because of full face cover.
Slawek

While I was in Daytona for Bike Week I met a fellow NTX owner who had just bought a new windscreen. His is 2" taller than stock and it looks just like the factory screen (other than the height). Since the manufacturer was in St. Augustine, only about 30 miles away, I decided to give it a try. Bear in mind that I have already tried another aftermarket screen. Next I tried adding a 'wing' to the top of the stock screen...too much weight on the stock screen.

It was raining pretty hard so I took my truck to St. Augustine, along with my stock windscreen. They already had a template from the previous NTX job so they used that to cut the plastic for my screen. Next they heated the plastic in an oven (4'X8' oven!) until the plastic was flexible like a wet noodle. They then used my windscreen as a mold and created the new screen to match the countours of the stock one..but 2" taller and with a slight upturn. I had to come back the next day with my bike so they could drill the holes in the right places to insure a perfect fit. The end result is exactly what I wanted..less noise and buffeting but not a barn door. The screen still goes up and down like the stock one with no binding. A few photos:
IMG_0659-M.jpg

Old screen compared to new..same width but now taller by 2"
IMG_0661-M.jpg

Note how the new screen is indented to match the windscreen brackets so the screen can still clear the bodywork.
IMG_0662-M.jpg

The new screen is clear of the bodywork in all positions but still close enough to look like a factory job. There is about 3/8" clearance all around.
IMG_0663-M.jpg

Here you see that the new screen wraps around the bodywork, just like the OEM one.

The shop is Gustafsson Plastics, Inc. bikescreen.com; 904-824-3443. Mine was about $200. It would be best to show up with your bike but they can make the windscreen and ship it..you would then have to drill the holes for mounting. They use a special 85 degree drill and, in my case, enlarge the hole with a drill mounted grinding stone of the right size.

So far I have about 200 miles on the new windscreen, up to 90 mph it's great (have not tried beyond 90).

Peter Y.

Peter,

It sounds like your Gustafsson windshield is pretty much the same as the OEM part, except it is 2" higher. Were you running the OEM part all the way up in the adjustment? If not, would raising it have helped, or did that approach create some other problems? If you were running it all the way up, where are you now running the new shield?

I'm trying to understand why 2" of height increase, with no change in shape or configuration, is making such a large difference in your buffeting and wind noise.

Thanks.

I think the stock screen is a very sound design. I am a couple of inches shorter than Peter and I have absolutely no wind issues. My screen is adjusted all the way to the top and lucky for me, it is perfect for getting the air flow over my helmet. With Peter's two inch addition, he prolly has the same effect.

ChuckH said:
Peter,

It sounds like your Gustafsson windshield is pretty much the same as the OEM part, except it is 2" higher. Were you running the OEM part all the way up in the adjustment? If not, would raising it have helped, or did that approach create some other problems? If you were running it all the way up, where are you now running the new shield?

I'm trying to understand why 2" of height increase, with no change in shape or configuration, is making such a large difference in your buffeting and wind noise.

Thanks.
I am 5'11" and the stock windscreen was just a bit short for me, even when all the way up. Now when I have the screen all the way up I am in a much better windflow, no buffeting and less noise. The stock screen is very good but it's like the seat, there is room to improve an already good design to fit the individual rider.

pyoungbl said:
I had a CalSci screen on my NTX for about 15 minutes. Sent it back. Although the CalSci screens are well made they are a simple curved screen that does not match the fairly complex shape of the NTX front end. My screen was binding on the body work and thus was no longer adjustable for up and down. CalSci is now offering a fix consisting of two large diameter washers and two longer screws. This may solve the binding issue.

Peter Y.

I just got the newer Cal - sci windscreen for my 012 and the washers don't do the trick , still binds to the front of the nose cone and would ruin the paint in no time . I could probably get some rubber washers to build up the space but not sure it would work Pretty pissed at having to pay for shipping ( won't get it back ) and the damn thing has to be modified to work . The thing should bloody well fit for the money it costs ! Anybody else have this issue and if so would appreciate any tips to make it work .

steve lindsay said:
pyoungbl said:

Peter Y.

I just got the newer Cal - sci windscreen for my 012 and the washers don't do the trick , still binds to the front of the nose cone and would ruin the paint in no time . I could probably get some rubber washers to build up the space but not sure it would work Pretty pissed at having to pay for shipping ( won't get it back ) and the damn thing has to be modified to work . The thing should bloody well fit for the money it costs ! Anybody else have this issue and if so would appreciate any tips to make it work .

Had the same problem on my stock screen. Dealer heated up the bottom with a heat gun and bent it back enough to not touch. Worked great and you cannot even tell that he did it. If you are worried about doing it yourself take it to a plastics fab shop. Would probably take them all of 30 seconds to fix it.

Back