Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Stepper motor on/off kit

Discussion in 'GT Electrical' started by GT-Rx®, Aug 24, 2009.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Trying to find out how much interest there is out there in this kit, which will locate a small weather-proof toggle switch on the bars (replacement clutch perch clamp to hold the switch on anything outside a Norge) includes all wiring for $60/Norge. $75 for all others.

Mainly trying to get a count to machine the clutch perch clamps.

Post below if you'll purchase one.

2. draidt

draidt GT Reference GT Contributor

3. GT-Rx®

Thanks Dan, this is for your Norge, yes?

All others, be sure to list your bike type with your name below.

4. Mike.C

Mike.C GT Reference

I am wondering if the PCV makes this idea redundant?

5. draidt

draidt GT Reference GT Contributor

GT-Rx wrote:
    Yes

6. GT-Rx®

Mike.C wrote:
    Hey Mike... nope. The stepper motor, aside from controlling the idle, acts as an "air-induction" (read leak), and would still need shut-off for a myriad of reasons. Yes, the PC-V/AutoTune will correct for the leak, but it will still be there, as might erratic idle.
    This clearly isn't a money making endeavor for me, just offering it for the good of the community.

7. SMChris

SMChris Tuned and Synch'ed

I'm in for a Griso kit

8. Mike.C

Mike.C GT Reference

Better put me on the list then - always in for a new Farckle!

9. Zipster

Zipster Tuned and Synch'ed

I'll buy one for a Norge. Still having trouble with my idle and general running state. Waiting for a warrantied TPS and suspicious of the stepper.

Many thanks- Rob

10. rguzz

rguzz Tuned and Synch'ed

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this item, but can someone explain why this bit of kit is needed. The physical reasoning behind it, exactly what it does etc. My bike is 8v Griso in UK. If I'm convinced, I'm probably in for one.

11. rturo

rturo Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

RGUZZ

There's background info in an earlier thread "Could someone post the Stepper Motor Bypass Howto?"

I'm on a 4vBreva in the UK and am also unsure I see a need - differences in climate/altitude/fuel seem to play a large part in whether its necessary or not

Art

12. Zapa

Zapa Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm in.

You will be sending them with the PCV shipping, right? That way I'll be able to book a whole morning with the mechanic and set it all up in one trip (I do my checks 200Km from home).

I'd probably be able to install it all myself, but I'd better be safe than sorry, and I'm sure Julio -my mechanic- will be glad to see the whole setup.

13. guzzimark

guzzimark Cruisin' Guzzisti

I thought at one stage you were working on a thermo-control for this ???? I'm using the petcock method at the moment (no biggie turning on and off). But would love one of you guy's to come up with an automatic thermosatically controled switch, working off engine temp somehow. That i would be very interested in......

14. GT-Rx®

guzzimark wrote:
    Not me... but it has been mentioned. My kit will keep it simple; switch and electro-valve.
    For those who have asked, this will take care of erratic idle and largely popping on decel as it will close off the engineered air leak at the intake manifolds.

15. Matteo

Matteo Tuned and Synch'ed

+1 for my Norge.

16. double.d

double.d Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I'm in 2006 Griso.

17. guzzimark

guzzimark Cruisin' Guzzisti

It doesn't eliminate the popping 100%, but does reduce it significantly.....

I live in SoCal, so don't really have to deal with cold starts. Usually by the time i'm thru the first couple of lights (mile or so) i just reach down and turn it off. You'll need to turn it on when you want to start it up after it's been sitting a while, then give it short distance and turn off again.....

I made it a habit to turn it on each time i pull over and turn it off once i'm moving (sounds wrong, but it's right), just like you would having a petcock on your bike. I find that my idle runs a little low once the stepper is turned off, maybe 50-75 rpms nothing major and definately not eratically.....

I've had this set up for over 9 months now and works great. For convenience sake GT-RX's is the way to go, much easier to flick a toggle switch on your bars, than reach down and turn a knob. Either way you shouldn't be with out it, IMHO.

Don't forget to leave it in the open position when it goes in for a service, not all mechanic read these forums and know about opening and closing of the stepper motor....

18. Bisbonian

Bisbonian Cruisin' Guzzisti

GT-Rx wrote:

19. GT-Rx®

Bisbonian wrote:
    Thanks Adam.

20. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

It was me who mentioned thermo control. Got some parts but not yet tried.
    The simple way is often the best though.