• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stepper motor on/off kit

Todd, whats involved in the fitting of this kit, tank and airbox off?
might be easier to have this than my "removable bolt in the pipe"

londonrob wrote:
Todd, whats involved in the fitting of this kit, tank and airbox off?
Essentially... yes. You'll need to snip out a small section of hose from the airbox that feeds the stepper motor, and for those with non-Norges, bolt on the new clutch-m/c clamp with switch. Norge owners will be required to drill a .25" hole in the clutch perch/cover that holds the windshield switch, or locate it where-ever they'd like.

guzzi jon wrote:
I'm in for one for my griso, it pops on decel a bunch
cheers
Thanks Jon, that's more likely fueling related on your Griso with a slip-on muffler. I'm surprised you don't want a PC-V.

I'm in for everything else, so I'm in for this too!
Be to include an installation instruction sheet, to avoid mistakes.
Robert H. (Griso 8v)

rguzz wrote:
I'm in for everything else, so I'm in for this too! Be to include an installation instruction sheet, to avoid mistakes. Robert H. (Griso 8v)
Thanks Rob.

Todd

Does your kit comprise of a switchable solenoid valve in the line from the airbox to the stepper motor?

Apart from the benefits of being able to isolate the stepper motor once the engine is warm, being able to do so when adjusting the air bypass screws during the idling phase adjustment when vacuum balancing would also be a help. Yesterday I did a vacuum balance and noted the way the balance at idle never remained absolutely constant, presumably because the stepper motor kept butting in.

GrahamNZ wrote:
Todd

Does your kit comprise of a switchable solenoid valve in the line from the airbox to the stepper motor?

Apart from the benefits of being able to isolate the stepper motor once the engine is warm, being able to do so when adjusting the air bypass screws during the idling phase adjustment when vacuum balancing would also be a help. Yesterday I did a vacuum balance and noted the way the balance at idle never remained absolutely constant, presumably because the stepper motor kept butting in.

Ive noticed the same thing Graham, The balance is rock solid on my V7 (No Stepper Motor) but tends to wander a bit on the Norge, I am hoping it will cure the popping on decel unless I do judicious throttle control, which can't be done in all situations.

GrahamNZ wrote:
Yes it does. ;)

GT-Rx wrote:
guzzi jon wrote:
I'm in for one for my griso, it pops on decel a bunch
cheers
Thanks Jon, that's more likely fueling related on your Griso with a slip-on muffler. I'm surprised you don't want a PC-V.

I do want one, but we're buyin a house and the missus watches me pretty close....

I've often wondered about the stepper motor and I've read most of the posts. I've a G11 and it's got a slip on. Now it's summer here but I got the bike when it was cooler. When I got the bike the idle would hunt up and down much as you guys have said sometimes it never returned to normal but remained around 2000 at idle. I had the bike serviced and it's never repeated this again. I've never had any popping on decel so I've been wondering about that too?

So, my question is... will my bike likely begin to act as it did when new and cold out or is it more likely it stay much as it is now? I've not had any stepper motor related problems that I can tell...so do most bikes have this issue or do they just differ that much?

If it's likey that when it gets cold the conditions at idle worsen then I should do the mod too...

vivo

I've read the initial discussions on this, but 'hooked off' at some point. From what I understand right now, the idea is to be able to stabilise idle by blocking the stepper motor once the engine is warm ... and/or, as someone said, once you're riding?

Todd, I could plug this on my french forum if you like. We'd need a little explicative text (in French), and if you could come up with a schematic diagram or a few pics if you've already got a functional prototype, that'd undoubtedly help (for me too, btw ;) ).

vivo wrote:
I've a G11 and it's got a slip on. Now it's summer here but I got the bike when it was cooler. When I got the bike the idle would hunt up and down much as you guys have said sometimes it never returned to normal but remained around 2000 at idle... So, my question is... will my bike likely begin to act as it did when new and cold out or is it more likely it stay much as it is now?
The erratic idle seems to be more heat related then anything, but the symptoms are as you describe above, and also per above, it helps to plug the "engineered air leak" when tuning or fueling. It also seems to help with pop-on-decel, but the PC-V will eliminate it completely.

RJVB wrote:
I've read the initial discussions on this, but 'hooked off' at some point. From what I understand right now, the idea is to be able to stabilise idle by blocking the stepper motor once the engine is warm ... and/or, as someone said, once you're riding?
Todd, I could plug this on my french forum if you like. We'd need a little explicative text (in French), and if you could come up with a schematic diagram or a few pics if you've already got a functional prototype, that'd undoubtedly help (for me too, btw.
See above, and I plan on offering a picture of the kit soon, stay tuned. ;)

Back