• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stepper motor on/off kit

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Trying to find out how much interest there is out there in this kit, which will locate a small weather-proof toggle switch on the bars (replacement clutch perch clamp to hold the switch on anything outside a Norge) includes all wiring for $60/Norge. $75 for all others.

Mainly trying to get a count to machine the clutch perch clamps.

Post below if you'll purchase one.

Thanks Dan, this is for your Norge, yes?

All others, be sure to list your bike type with your name below.

Mike.C wrote:
I am wondering if the PCV makes this idea redundant?
Hey Mike... nope. The stepper motor, aside from controlling the idle, acts as an "air-induction" (read leak), and would still need shut-off for a myriad of reasons. Yes, the PC-V/AutoTune will correct for the leak, but it will still be there, as might erratic idle.
This clearly isn't a money making endeavor for me, just offering it for the good of the community.

I'll buy one for a Norge. Still having trouble with my idle and general running state. Waiting for a warrantied TPS and suspicious of the stepper.

Many thanks- Rob

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this item, but can someone explain why this bit of kit is needed. The physical reasoning behind it, exactly what it does etc. My bike is 8v Griso in UK. If I'm convinced, I'm probably in for one.

RGUZZ

There's background info in an earlier thread "Could someone post the Stepper Motor Bypass Howto?"

I'm on a 4vBreva in the UK and am also unsure I see a need - differences in climate/altitude/fuel seem to play a large part in whether its necessary or not

Art

I'm in.

You will be sending them with the PCV shipping, right? That way I'll be able to book a whole morning with the mechanic and set it all up in one trip (I do my checks 200Km from home).

I'd probably be able to install it all myself, but I'd better be safe than sorry, and I'm sure Julio -my mechanic- will be glad to see the whole setup.

I thought at one stage you were working on a thermo-control for this ???? I'm using the petcock method at the moment (no biggie turning on and off). But would love one of you guy's to come up with an automatic thermosatically controled switch, working off engine temp somehow. That i would be very interested in......

guzzimark wrote:
I thought at one stage you were working on a thermo-control for this ????
Not me... but it has been mentioned. My kit will keep it simple; switch and electro-valve.
For those who have asked, this will take care of erratic idle and largely popping on decel as it will close off the engineered air leak at the intake manifolds.

It doesn't eliminate the popping 100%, but does reduce it significantly.....

I live in SoCal, so don't really have to deal with cold starts. Usually by the time i'm thru the first couple of lights (mile or so) i just reach down and turn it off. You'll need to turn it on when you want to start it up after it's been sitting a while, then give it short distance and turn off again.....

I made it a habit to turn it on each time i pull over and turn it off once i'm moving (sounds wrong, but it's right), just like you would having a petcock on your bike. I find that my idle runs a little low once the stepper is turned off, maybe 50-75 rpms nothing major and definately not eratically.....

I've had this set up for over 9 months now and works great. For convenience sake GT-RX's is the way to go, much easier to flick a toggle switch on your bars, than reach down and turn a knob. Either way you shouldn't be with out it, IMHO.

Don't forget to leave it in the open position when it goes in for a service, not all mechanic read these forums and know about opening and closing of the stepper motor....

Back