Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Stepper motor repaired. Triangle of death gone bye bye.

Discussion in 'CARC' started by Adam Davis, Jan 25, 2020.

1. KayJay

KayJay Cruisin' Guzzisti

I hear ya...
    Will buckle up the ecu connectors and put the rubber boot over the whole thing and start riding. Out of sight, out of mind. Keeping a dehumidifier in the garage as well so corrosion should be kept to a minimum...

2. Nordicnorm

Nordicnorm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

An 8 year battle with nuisance service alerts (B-11) came to an end this fall. I had pulled the big plug in the dash (with the cam-lock) and cleaned it with CRC electronic cleaner, compressed air and re-assembled thinking I finally got it. Not!
    Taking it apart again, I treated it with a product called Corrosion Block. It,s a marine product. That finally did it.
    You can buy it at the West Marine stores. It is safe on circuit boards, inside electric motors, radios etc. I've had the bottle for 20 years, and had already used it on all connections around the bike except this last one.
    A quick google search will give you the specs. Maybe you have time to look into it before you button it up. Good luck.

3. KayJay

KayJay Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks!
    I'll google it. Have not had time to do much over the past week or so but today I gave the ecu pins to the stepper motor one more check before putting the tank and plastics back together. The readings on the meter were perfect so I started looking at anything else that may need attention before re assembly and sure enough I found another screw up from the last so called mechanic that worked on the bike. He had replaced the oil pressure switch and I found the top of the connector weather boot cut off. Mind you the boot was in place but with the top cut off there was a gap all around the wire, Every time I washed the bike water would enter the boot and sit inside it submerging the spade connector. The switch is only a few months old and already had surface rust on the connector. I ordered a new boot but it won't arrive from China until late Feb. A little high temp. RTV will have to suffice along with a quick cleaning of the connector. Also waiting on a spacer for the tank cover that the same idiot neglected to replace. Anyway I have most of the bike back together and now I have a question:

Does the fuel tank have to be pressurized? I plan to charge the battery tonight and install it in the AM to check and clear any codes. At that point I should be able to turn the engine over if the bike can be started without the tank cover and fuel cap. All that said I will hopefully know if everything is working tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted....

4. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

Starting without the cap is fine. The fuel tank should not be pressurized. If it ever is there is a problem.

KayJay likes this.
  5. KayJay

KayJay Cruisin' Guzzisti

Great!

I didn't think so but I wanted to make sure. I'll Throw some fresh gas in the tank and give it a try tomorrow...

6. KayJay

KayJay Cruisin' Guzzisti

Well, I put the battery in the bike this morning and turned the ignition on. Immediately the dash went through it's normal exercise and the red warning light remained on. Disappointed, I turned the ignition off and back on again and heard a sound (sounded like a mini fart for a fraction of a second) from the area around the ECU and bingo, the red triangle of death turned off! I checked for any ecu or dash codes and alas, everything was clear, No more codes! :whew: I never had to clear anything, the code went away on it's own once the ecu reset itself. I started the engine and it idled at about 1,000 - 1100 RPM for about 5 to ten seconds and then settled down to about 800 RPM so the stepper motor is working. Idling nice and smooth with good snappy throttle response. Just the slightest bit of popping as RPM drops while engine is cold but once warm seems to run just fine. As soon as my parts arrive next week (rubber spacer for tank cover and passenger seat release cable) I'll get the old girl out on the road for a real test. Hopefully this was the last gremlin to be sorted out.

The biggest issue I had with the whole job was getting the bloody airbox drain hose to stay on the nipple while wrestling the airbox back in place. I tried spring retainers and hose clamps to no avail. IMO the nipple should have been barbed to better grip the hose. Could also be due to the hose being aftermarket from the last shop that worked on the bike I guess. All that said it looks like I'm back in business thanks to the expert help and advice I received on this forum. I've learned a great deal from all the folks here and can't thank you all enough....

Moto-Uno likes this.
  7. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

I've certainly been entertained and educated too ! Peter