• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

stock Griso

bbgone

Just got it firing!
Is it rideable at all? From all posts on this forum it looks like without the fueling mods it is not. I am not much into tinkering, nor into spending a few more grands just to roll it out of the garage. Should I look somewhere else?
Sorry for the bitterness. I just really liked the bike.

I happily rode mine ('07 Griso) with stock fueling with and without a slip-on.
I do prefer it with optimized fueling ala Todds kit. But that applies to pretty much ALL motorcycles currently sold. They are set up for low emissions not best performance. They all run better when corrected in my opinion.
Others have kept theirs stock and continue to ride happily.
It seems that proper set up is key, getting a bike from a dealer that knows what they are doing goes a long way towards a happy rider. And to an extent how picky are you? I consider myself average and mine was perfectly fine stock, the only issue I had was a little knocking under certain acceleration conditions. Some other people who rode it could not hear the knock even when they were looking for it.
But if you expect a Guzzi to work like a Honda you will probably be disappointed. It is a more involved ownership experience then you would have with a Honda.

GuzziMoto said:
But if you expect a Guzzi to work like a Honda you will probably be disappointed. It is a more involved ownership experience then you would have with a Honda.
I was thinking more about R1200R, than Honda

bbgone said:
Is it rideable at all? From all posts on this forum it looks like without the fueling mods it is not. I am not much into tinkering, nor into spending a few more grands just to roll it out of the garage. Should I look somewhere else?

What year ?

I generally have a slight buzz on from overindulgence in Guzzi kool-aid, but with that disclaimer, I have to say that of my four bought-new Guzzis, the Griso has had ZERO issues of any kind whatever.

Only 6K miles thus far, but those have been in all sorts of conditions. Not a burp, hiccup, belch, or fart. Can't say that about earlier ones (tho I love 'em all), but the Griso is a delight.

Aside from the always-disappointing sound, I like beemers, too, but nothing says grunt like a Guzzi.

Best wishes whichever mount you choose.

Bill

bbgone said:
Is it rideable at all?
Of course it is. Go test ride one. Stock bikes require a few minutes of warm-up time, and a little surginess at cruise speeds, but many folks enjoy them with zero mods including the stock 55 gallon drum, plug of a muffler. To each his own.
If you buy it, and ride it... if & when a day comes when you're ready to allow it to run to it's full potential, I can be of help. As GM states above, it's a far more involved ownership over most other brands. You'll have to go out of your way for some parts, and perhaps spend some money on software and perhaps a tool or two if you are far from a dealer. They are unique machines, and most that own them fit that bill as well.
Best of luck on your decision.

Well I've got a griso se with the termi slipon and the bike has been set up from Pete roper from day one with factory mapping.
I've done 16000 ks in a year and I can't fault the bike...

Stock 2012 SE, I've lowered the pegs, added the Givi A770 and now the 2" handle bar risers.

I had read about the "turbo" mode that kicked on at 5K. Never happened. Heard about a dual personality. Have not seen it.

Sitting on it in store is a LOT different than riding and I'm quite sure I would not have bought it if I had test rode it; the fit is not idea (hence the mods listed above). But the motor is simply amazing and I really can't see changing anything about it.

The seat is next on the list to mod. :)

bbgone said:

Only 5 rides in since I bought my Griso but..... DAMN :woohoo: It seems perfect to me! If I can make this bike better than it is, I can't imagine it yet. Maybe I just don't know what fueling and ECU mods can do though. Love it as is without complaint!!!

As someone else said, all modern bikes can benefit from a reflash. Manufacturers go to great lengths to make bikes compatible with emissions requirements, owners go to equally great lengths to undo what the manufacturer has done.

But the stock Griso is not terribly cold-blooded, and fuels fairly smoothly even at low rpms, unlike, say, the average Ducati.

That said, the Griso is such a unique bike, it really behooves anyone to take a test ride. Dealers probably won't allow it, so find someone near you who will. Guzzi owners are a very friendly, accomodating group.

Might have been said already: the Griso is also an easy machine to work on, if you need to do your own maintenance. For for example, I had to replace a weeping valve cover gasket the other day and I had the job completely done in 30 minutes, start to finish.

I bought mine in August and use it only for fun rides(my 1250 Bandit is my commuter work horse) Ive put only 2500 miles on it so far but am very satisfied with how it runs completly stock.. I may in the future do a slipon but really want to leave it pretty much stock... One thing I have noticed is just like everyone says the more miles it get on it the better it seems to run..

Its all about set-up and tuning.

Doing it right isn't hard but it does seem beyond certain places.

FWIW I have a very early A5 engined bike in Oz. when it was new and had the early #01-02 maps in its fueling, especially in the midrange,was abominable. Careful set up minimised the problem but it was still apparent, manifesting itself as sluggish performance and a huge 'Step' in power delivery at about 5,300 RPM. It was enough to make riding in the rain an unpleasant experience.

I tried a lot of stuff including a PCV/AT which I couldn't get to work. I intended to take it back to the USA and work with Todd to fit it to my other early 8V Griso over there. In the interim though the factory released a map update in the form of the non-homologated #68 map. After I had installed this in my bike in Oz I could see no point in pursuing further modifications. Power delivery was now completely linear and combined with a pipe with a catalytic converter and a dB killer gave me 104.8 RWHP with no noticeable dip in the midrange. Every machine I have dyno'd that has been modified further has both shown itself to be and has 'Felt' worse. When I got to the USA my bike there was still running the earlier map and behaved practically identically to my bike in Oz. once again installing the #68 map transformed it. I could see no point in persisting in chasing 'Improvements' I don't believe are there. I ended up giving the PCV/AT away to a mate with a G11 which I do believe can benefit much more from the addition of such a device although once again my 1100 when I had it fuelled up just fine as long as I kept the dB killers installed.

I'm afraid I do not have the herd mind-set that says that all modern engines are strangled by emissions regulations. While this is undoubtably the case with the 2valve per cylinder motors with their archaic combustion chamber design and inherent dirtiness the 8V is a much more modern and cleaner design. I have no desire to go over old ground again that I've covered many times before, nor do I wish to be seen as raining on Todd's parade as, although I disagree with him, I know that he stands behind his or ducts and options 100%. The crux of the matter though is that with the advent of the homolugated #03 map any stock bike can be made to run very nicely straight out of the box, AS LONG AS IT HAS BEEN PREPARED AND TUNED CORRECTLY!!! Anyone who is saying that you MUST add some sort of map modifier or alter the fueling to get the machine to run well is, quite simply, talking through their hat!

Pete

pete roper said:
Its all about set-up and tuning.
Anyone who is saying that you MUST add some sort of map modifier or alter the fueling to get the machine to run well is, quite simply, talking through their hat!
I agree with this completely. Running the #68 and open factory Termi with no complaints.

Yes, Pete and I go back and forth on this ad nauseam. I can factually state the factory spends a minimal amount of time on the fueling, with their main focus being on passing observed emission zones, and not much else. With the 03 map (or the now "non-existent" 068 map, which is just richer at small throttle openings), the bike is tolerable when set up properly and OEM stock. Even then, it does still suffer some lean/transitional surge within the closed loop area ≤3500RPM (which of course can be ridden around, as most do), and at cruise speeds which the AFR's can hover around 16~17:1+ (critically lean - as I have it documented as well HERE in the first post). I've personally witnessed this many times on the dyno, on most all newer Guzzi. Additionally, the upper RPMs are pretty rich. All I'll add (and plenty here to document it above and on the 9+ pages of the ECU thread), it can be made to run immensely better even without any other modification in OEM stock configuration. If you revise the intake or exhaust flow characteristics (etc.), then the fueling revisions are paramount. 99% of all who successfully use the ECU and/or PC-V/AT, are quite impressed, as are the small handful who have ridden my personal bikes with intake, exhaust and fueling mods.
I still find it amusing that in the day of jet kits and EPROMs, people would praise crude work (and still do), yet impressive scientific solutions are now being pushed aside. Last note on this, ending with this fact; The top race teams in the U.S., and most of those setting land speed records on semi-stock modern machines, all tend to use a fuel modifier, largely Dynojet's PC-V and AutoTune (including their own 600cc machine which holds the current Bonneville Land Speed Record at 206 mph).

I'm running it stock with the #68 map and am very contend with it.
Call me a cheap ass but i'm not gonna spend a few hundred € for a few hp more that i'll use a few times.

kampe

kampe said:
I'm running it stock with the #68 map and am very contend with it. Call me a cheap ass but i'm not gonna spend a few hundred € for a few hp more that i'll use a few times.
Very good. A big handful fall into this category, which is a good thing that it exists.
Fueling revisions aren't about power increases, they're about quicker warm up, smoother throttle control and cooler running.
If you start swapping out parts like the muffler, etc., then the need to revise the fueling becomes crucial.
I've spent a great deal of time and money to make this statement, and many people do enjoy it... even if they don't catch this particular thread. Feel free to contact any of those direct who posted in the ECU thread linked above to ask them about their experience. Almost all say they wish they had done it sooner then later. Up to you.

Back