Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

stock Griso

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by bbgone, Jan 24, 2013.

1. bbgone

bbgone Just got it firing!

Is it rideable at all? From all posts on this forum it looks like without the fueling mods it is not. I am not much into tinkering, nor into spending a few more grands just to roll it out of the garage. Should I look somewhere else?
    Sorry for the bitterness. I just really liked the bike.

2. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I happily rode mine ('07 Griso) with stock fueling with and without a slip-on.
    I do prefer it with optimized fueling ala Todds kit. But that applies to pretty much ALL motorcycles currently sold. They are set up for low emissions not best performance. They all run better when corrected in my opinion.
    Others have kept theirs stock and continue to ride happily.
    It seems that proper set up is key, getting a bike from a dealer that knows what they are doing goes a long way towards a happy rider. And to an extent how picky are you? I consider myself average and mine was perfectly fine stock, the only issue I had was a little knocking under certain acceleration conditions. Some other people who rode it could not hear the knock even when they were looking for it.
    But if you expect a Guzzi to work like a Honda you will probably be disappointed. It is a more involved ownership experience then you would have with a Honda.

3. bbgone

I was thinking more about R1200R, than Honda

4. draidt

draidt GT Reference GT Contributor

What year ?

5. bbgone

6. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    I generally have a slight buzz on from overindulgence in Guzzi kool-aid, but with that disclaimer, I have to say that of my four bought-new Guzzis, the Griso has had ZERO issues of any kind whatever.

Only 6K miles thus far, but those have been in all sorts of conditions. Not a burp, hiccup, belch, or fart. Can't say that about earlier ones (tho I love 'em all), but the Griso is a delight.

Aside from the always-disappointing sound, I like beemers, too, but nothing says grunt like a Guzzi.

Best wishes whichever mount you choose.

Bill

7. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Of course it is. Go test ride one. Stock bikes require a few minutes of warm-up time, and a little surginess at cruise speeds, but many folks enjoy them with zero mods including the stock 55 gallon drum, plug of a muffler. To each his own.
    If you buy it, and ride it... if & when a day comes when you're ready to allow it to run to it's full potential, I can be of help. As GM states above, it's a far more involved ownership over most other brands. You'll have to go out of your way for some parts, and perhaps spend some money on software and perhaps a tool or two if you are far from a dealer. They are unique machines, and most that own them fit that bill as well.
    Best of luck on your decision.

8. ralf z

ralf z Just got it firing!

Well I've got a griso se with the termi slipon and the bike has been set up from Pete roper from day one with factory mapping.
    I've done 16000 ks in a year and I can't fault the bike...

9. rboe

rboe Tuned and Synch'ed

Stock 2012 SE, I've lowered the pegs, added the Givi A770 and now the 2" handle bar risers.

I had read about the "turbo" mode that kicked on at 5K. Never happened. Heard about a dual personality. Have not seen it.

Sitting on it in store is a LOT different than riding and I'm quite sure I would not have bought it if I had test rode it; the fit is not idea (hence the mods listed above). But the motor is simply amazing and I really can't see changing anything about it.

The seat is next on the list to mod. :)

10. bbgone

Thanks, guys. I'll wait till I can find and test ride one.

11. 8VSE O-Ren Ishii

8VSE O-Ren Ishii Tuned and Synch'ed

Only 5 rides in since I bought my Griso but..... DAMN :woohoo: It seems perfect to me! If I can make this bike better than it is, I can't imagine it yet. Maybe I just don't know what fueling and ECU mods can do though. Love it as is without complaint!!!

12. adan

adan Just got it firing!

As someone else said, all modern bikes can benefit from a reflash. Manufacturers go to great lengths to make bikes compatible with emissions requirements, owners go to equally great lengths to undo what the manufacturer has done.

But the stock Griso is not terribly cold-blooded, and fuels fairly smoothly even at low rpms, unlike, say, the average Ducati.

That said, the Griso is such a unique bike, it really behooves anyone to take a test ride. Dealers probably won't allow it, so find someone near you who will. Guzzi owners are a very friendly, accomodating group.

13. MrMorrisSD

MrMorrisSD Tuned and Synch'ed

Might have been said already: the Griso is also an easy machine to work on, if you need to do your own maintenance. For for example, I had to replace a weeping valve cover gasket the other day and I had the job completely done in 30 minutes, start to finish.

14. Cage Free

Cage Free Cruisin' Guzzisti

I bought mine in August and use it only for fun rides(my 1250 Bandit is my commuter work horse) Ive put only 2500 miles on it so far but am very satisfied with how it runs completly stock.. I may in the future do a slipon but really want to leave it pretty much stock... One thing I have noticed is just like everyone says the more miles it get on it the better it seems to run..

15. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

Its all about set-up and tuning.

Doing it right isn't hard but it does seem beyond certain places.

FWIW I have a very early A5 engined bike in Oz. when it was new and had the early #01-02 maps in its fueling, especially in the midrange,was abominable. Careful set up minimised the problem but it was still apparent, manifesting itself as sluggish performance and a huge 'Step' in power delivery at about 5,300 RPM. It was enough to make riding in the rain an unpleasant experience.

I tried a lot of stuff including a PCV/AT which I couldn't get to work. I intended to take it back to the USA and work with Todd to fit it to my other early 8V Griso over there. In the interim though the factory released a map update in the form of the non-homologated #68 map. After I had installed this in my bike in Oz I could see no point in pursuing further modifications. Power delivery was now completely linear and combined with a pipe with a catalytic converter and a dB killer gave me 104.8 RWHP with no noticeable dip in the midrange. Every machine I have dyno'd that has been modified further has both shown itself to be and has 'Felt' worse. When I got to the USA my bike there was still running the earlier map and behaved practically identically to my bike in Oz. once again installing the #68 map transformed it. I could see no point in persisting in chasing 'Improvements' I don't believe are there. I ended up giving the PCV/AT away to a mate with a G11 which I do believe can benefit much more from the addition of such a device although once again my 1100 when I had it fuelled up just fine as long as I kept the dB killers installed.

I'm afraid I do not have the herd mind-set that says that all modern engines are strangled by emissions regulations. While this is undoubtably the case with the 2valve per cylinder motors with their archaic combustion chamber design and inherent dirtiness the 8V is a much more modern and cleaner design. I have no desire to go over old ground again that I've covered many times before, nor do I wish to be seen as raining on Todd's parade as, although I disagree with him, I know that he stands behind his or ducts and options 100%. The crux of the matter though is that with the advent of the homolugated #03 map any stock bike can be made to run very nicely straight out of the box, AS LONG AS IT HAS BEEN PREPARED AND TUNED CORRECTLY!!! Anyone who is saying that you MUST add some sort of map modifier or alter the fueling to get the machine to run well is, quite simply, talking through their hat!

Pete

16. Goodvibes

Goodvibes Cruisin' Guzzisti

I agree with this completely. Running the #68 and open factory Termi with no complaints.

17. GT-Rx®

Yes, Pete and I go back and forth on this ad nauseam. I can factually state the factory spends a minimal amount of time on the fueling, with their main focus being on passing observed emission zones, and not much else. With the 03 map (or the now "non-existent" 068 map, which is just richer at small throttle openings), the bike is tolerable when set up properly and OEM stock. Even then, it does still suffer some lean/transitional surge within the closed loop area ≤3500RPM (which of course can be ridden around, as most do), and at cruise speeds which the AFR's can hover around 16~17:1+ (critically lean - as I have it documented as well HERE in the first post). I've personally witnessed this many times on the dyno, on most all newer Guzzi. Additionally, the upper RPMs are pretty rich. All I'll add (and plenty here to document it above and on the 9+ pages of the ECU thread), it can be made to run immensely better even without any other modification in OEM stock configuration. If you revise the intake or exhaust flow characteristics (etc.), then the fueling revisions are paramount. 99% of all who successfully use the ECU and/or PC-V/AT, are quite impressed, as are the small handful who have ridden my personal bikes with intake, exhaust and fueling mods.
    I still find it amusing that in the day of jet kits and EPROMs, people would praise crude work (and still do), yet impressive scientific solutions are now being pushed aside. Last note on this, ending with this fact; The top race teams in the U.S., and most of those setting land speed records on semi-stock modern machines, all tend to use a fuel modifier, largely Dynojet's PC-V and AutoTune (including their own 600cc machine which holds the current Bonneville Land Speed Record at 206 mph).

18. kampe

kampe Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm running it stock with the #68 map and am very contend with it.
    Call me a cheap ass but i'm not gonna spend a few hundred € for a few hp more that i'll use a few times.

kampe

bobbyfromnc likes this.
  19. GT-Rx®

Very good. A big handful fall into this category, which is a good thing that it exists.
    Fueling revisions aren't about power increases, they're about quicker warm up, smoother throttle control and cooler running.
    If you start swapping out parts like the muffler, etc., then the need to revise the fueling becomes crucial.
    I've spent a great deal of time and money to make this statement, and many people do enjoy it... even if they don't catch this particular thread. Feel free to contact any of those direct who posted in the ECU thread linked above to ask them about their experience. Almost all say they wish they had done it sooner then later. Up to you.

20. Goodvibes

Goodvibes Cruisin' Guzzisti

I hop on, stab the button, and go. Hot or cold. Is this detrimental? Or are you referring to something different?