Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Stornello Screw Up

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Bill Hagan, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    So, the challenges of removing "frozen" fasteners have been treated here a bit, but this one is a bit more problematic (for the likes of me, anyway) as it involves some potential cosmetic damage.

So ... I was trying to remove the "number plates" from the Stornello. Those are attached to the outside of the larger side covers. Long story as to why I am doing that, and they may go back on, but now I need them off.

No problem on right side; easy-peasy. Ah, but see first pic.

Left side is a female dog.

The forward M4x25 button-cap screw -- #8 in the parts pix -- that holds the number plate on will not budge. I have now also managed to round out the (POS) soft 3mm hex hole.

Tried heat. No joy.

I cannot grab hold of the head of the button-cap screw with any tool I can find.

Is the standard "dremel a slot for a screwdriver" the best approach?

Other suggestions?

Bill

Attached Files:

2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Yes, then a drill bit to remove the head if that fails. I too hate the garbage fasteners they're using these days too.

3. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Try jamming a torx head bit in where the hex used to be. Pick a size that needs a hammer to insert.

I've had a lot of success with this simple method.

4. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Bill,

If Kiwi's suggestion doesn't work, see if you can locate left hand drill bits. Sometimes when they bite in they will remove the fastener. If all else fails, it may need a machine shop using a carbide tip.

5. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

I had to use a Dremel and carefully cut a slot on a side cover fastener on my bike. It worked and I replaced all my side cover fasteners with stainless ones with much better hex holes.

6. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

they sell a cheap impact driver at harbor freight or maybe you could borrow one at auto zone. use it with a good torx bit filling the rounded out hole and it should break loose.

7. Bill Hagan

After my coffee -- a touch of grappa seems apt this morning :drunk: -- I'm going down to the Moto Grappa to try out some (and possibly all :giggle:) of those options.

I actually have the dremel, torx set, and (HF!:giggle:) impact driver in my set of tools (to be avoided :whew:) in the Moto Grappa.

We shall see.

Thanks to all for the options.

Bill

Edited to add that I ordered some new replacement fasteners -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012TI59J2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 -- though not sure quality any better than the OEM. If so will, get some other sizes, too. As I'll have a lifetime supply (and more!;)), happy to share. Let me know if interested.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  8. tonUPRacer

tonUPRacer Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

There's always that one it seems, easy out (screw extractor kit) did it for me on my valve cover bolts.

9. Bill Hagan

Well, declared victory over that reluctant fastener today.

What a PITA. The “make it into a screw” was the winner. Note ATGATT. :party:

I was a little concerned about banging a torx into it given the somewhat “delicate” way things were. And, after extraction, the screw seemed to have some blue loctite on it ... which was trying hard to be red. ;) None of the others did.

Anyway, will leave the side plates off for awhile. Something about them smacks of “boy racer” and motocross or trials wannabee. That said, not sure I like the black side covers — even with my matching Carabinieri decals.

Thanks again for the support and ideas.

Bill

Attached Files:

10. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Those decals won't get you out of any driving awards, so watch your speed!!

11. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

I remember when I got the 98 EV. the heel toe shifter was very stiff. when it didn't loosen up I took it apart to grease it. to my surprise it had been well greased at the factory only with blue loctite not grease.

john zibell likes this.