• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Strada 750 ignition coil

mark312

Just got it firing!
Hi,

I've just tested the resistance across the +ve and -ve terminals of each coil, as the right hand cylinder has been running erratically for some time. i got readings of 5.0 ohms for the right coil and 4.7 ohms for the left. I believe that normal values for motorcycle coils are 0.5 to 3.0 ohms, which would indicate that both my coils are on their way out. If so, how is it running ok on the left cylinder? Or are these values ok?

I'd be grateful for any help / advice you can offer.

Mark, I think expected values are 0.5 to 1.5 ohms, measured from the low tension wire to a ground on the bike.
Also measure between the high tension coil wire and a ground. That should be thousands of ohms.

Sometimes shop manuals will show correct values. And often coils will only show bad reading when they're hot (like when running).

Since both coils are showing similar values, that sounds good. Perhaps it's not them at all.

Joe

sign216 said:
Mark, I think expected values are 0.5 to 1.5 ohms, measured from the low tension wire to a ground on the bike.
Also measure between the high tension coil wire and a ground. That should be thousands of ohms.

Sometimes shop manuals will show correct values. And often coils will only show bad reading when they're hot (like when running).

Since both coils are showing similar values, that sounds good. Perhaps it's not them at all.

Joe

Perhaps you're right Joe - I've just tried swapping the coils over, and it's still the right side (as you sit on the bike) that has no spark, so I'm guessing the problem lies somewhere in the electrics before it gets to the coils. I'm still thinking the coils may need replacing as the left spark isn't bright blue, but at least it's there!

I have a workshop manual for small blocks, but not specific for my model, and there's no mention of coil resistance values. I've tried the Denso website but can't find the exact coil anywhere on their pages.

Anyone any ideas where to look next? (Remembering that bike electrics are a new adventure for me!)

Mark, it's not the coils. Must be further "upstream." Perhaps the Digiplex ignition module or a connection between the ignition module and the coils. Examine the wires and connections there.

If they are ok, see if you can switch the connections at the ignit module, between left and rt coils, to see if the problem switches. That will test whether the error is within the ignit module. If that's it, you might buy an old module on Ebay.

You could also switch the system to a modern replacement. A German co. Silent Hektik makes replacement systems, but they are expensive. In the past a replacement system was the Lucas Rita, but I've heard poor reports on it, and it may be hard to get now.

This group on old Guzzi smallblocks has people knowledgeable about your system, you could ask them: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/small_block_guzzi/

And a good electrical diagram done by Carl Allison, can be found on Greg Bender's site: http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sportissimo.html

Hope this helps,
Joe

Thanks Joe,

I'll have a look at the ignition module connections when I next get chance. Thanks for that.

Mark

5 ohms is fine. Some Guzzis use 3, others 5.

Digiplex or Motoplat? Check all connections and earths.

Change plugs and get new plug caps. Check their resistance. A faulty plug or cap that has increased in resistance can cause the spark to find an easier path to earth.

Just a couple of easy fix ideas.

Morizzi said:
5 ohms is fine. Some Guzzis use 3, others 5.

Digiplex or Motoplat? Check all connections and earths.

Change plugs and get new plug caps. Check their resistance. A faulty plug or cap that has increased in resistance can cause the spark to find an easier path to earth.

Just a couple of easy fix ideas.

This. I've never heard of the Digiplex only triggering one cylinder..

Re: Strada 750 ignition coil (edit - the coil is ok)

Hi,

Thanks to Morizzi and Chuck in Indiana for the latest.

I've swapped the ignition control modules over, and the spark changed with them, so I guess that's the issue. To do this, I just unplugged the white connector plugs and swapped them over. The left side had a wire beyond the plug (i.e. on the coil side not the module side) which led to a black cylinder labelled ART with a positive and and earth lead, which I'm guessing from the wiring diagrams I have for other models is a condensor?

Assuming the ignition module needs replacing rather than maintenance, can I fit a module from any similar small block Guzzi, or does it have to be the original? I've done a search for Motoplat but not found anything specific for my model.

Thanks for all your input.

Mark

Back