• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Strange Headlight - Griso

not-fishing

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
On this morning's commute I used my high beam in a deer section and when I went back to my low beam it was gone. My high beam worked but no low beam.

I pulled over, turned off the Griso, waited a few seconds then turned started it back up. Still no low beam so I rode the rest of the way on high. Once I made it to my office I checked my low beam and it worked again.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm thinking it's the low beam relay.

I suspect you are correct. Keep us posted.

Ordered up another $30 relay, heck I'll keep it as a spare on the bike ---------- yeah I was a Boy Scout ASM who was prepared.

Funny thing is the Griso started and had a low beam at lunchtime -------So it's intermittent just like an Alfa Spyder I had many decades ago.

Not willing to wait, I played musical relays with one of the other relays. I'd rather have low beam & alternator than high beam without alternator. Also I know which two I switched if it becomes a problem.

Check the bulb.
I once had a broken low beam filament on a H4 bulb. Hit a bump and low beam would go out.
Lean over and thump the headlight (Fonzy style), and it would come back on again.
Other alternative was to wait until I hit the next bump, and it would light up again.
Fortunately in Qld, with our fantastic (not) roads, I only had to wait about 2.4 seconds.

On this morning's commute I used my high beam in a deer section and when I went back to my low beam it was gone. My high beam worked but no low beam.

I pulled over, turned off the Griso, waited a few seconds then turned started it back up. Still no low beam so I rode the rest of the way on high. Once I made it to my office I checked my low beam and it worked again.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm thinking it's the low beam relay.
It is possible for a filliment to reattach itself, but it can only do this with lots of vibrations or rough road where the bike is on.
Reason why I mentioned about vibrations, when I first purchased my Bang& Olufsen system I had a light burnt out, turned up the volume to max, the sound wave (vibrations) were so intense that it bounced the broken filliment to complete the circut & it was the coolest thing. My one buddy was there too cool.

Would be really interested to know if the relay is the problem.
Bikes in Australia have their headlights hard wired on by law. On a recent ride, the guy I was following said my headlight went off and on a few times over the length of the day ride (made the comment at the last stop of the day), however I have not be able to reproduce the fault (I ride during daylight and can only check at a stop).
I had thought the relay the most likely culprit, but have looked no further at the problem since.
Jason

Would be really interested to know if the relay is the problem.

I'll never really know but I suspect the relay. Even though I had purchased another relay I swapped the low beam relay with the high beam relay and haven't had any trouble since.

Even though I ride nearly every day in the dark I rarely use the high beams due to oncoming cars. I've put the new relay in a little storage are of the bike in case I actually have to replace one of them. I seem to recall that the Griso has three relays all the same size, one for low beam & alternator, one for high beam and one for FI,

Okay, will try swapping the relays.
BTW, where did you source the relay? Through Guzzi or just a local electrical outlet? Relays in the automotive world are pretty bullet proof and I had thought Guzzi had left behind the bad old days of poor quality electrical equipment....

JAS.... these relays are pretty common now ...I just scored 4 or 5 of them from a smashed late model fords' footwell circuit/fuse panel and they are in one under the bonnet as well. I might use a couple to relay my Nouvo Falcone's headlight as they will fit much more easily in the small shell.

Back