RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Strange Rattle from the Beast

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by PaulDavies, Jul 4, 2017.

1. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti

Ok - I know Guzzi's are known for rattles and making other "charismatic noises", but my 1400 Audace (with the euro 4 emissions stuff - if that's in any way relevant) has a strange rattle and I'm not sure if its a "feature" (as in - they all do that sir) or something that needs adjustment/looking at. I'm new to Guzzi's (this is my first) so have nothing to go on. It's not getting any worse, but now it's messed with my head so much that I'm listening for it - Sometimes I imagine it's there when it isn't !!!

I've posted a video here -

You can hear it sounds fine at idle (this was made just after returning from a ride) but near the end when the camera moves to the RHS/front of the bike (@ 50 secs) and I rev it to about 2400 rpm, you can hear a fairly loud, "hard edged" rattle/tapping at that rpm which is not present (nearly so much) at other revs and not at idle. Is this typical?

It also gets louder as the engine warms up but it's not that hot around here at the moment (low to mid 20's Celsius) so I doubt it's due to any kind of detonation/pinking. Some days it doesn't make the noise at all, or will start up after a ride and short stop. I can't drive around that rpm as obviously I have to go up and down the gears every time I stop. I can hear it most when my full face visor is up (for the cool air) as the sound seems to bounce off the visor directly to my ears implying it's pretty much under my face, e.g. cylinder heads, but closing my visor, I can hardly hear it at all (it's the same on my other helmet - both good full face Shoei's). I also use disposable ear plugs and I'm thinking of getting some custom ones made just because of this.

It sounds to me like it could be tappet rattle, but I've had the covers off now three times and checked the clearances. Got back wheel off the ground, long screw driver down the spark plug hole, roate wheel for TDC and make sure inlet and exhaust are both open and the clearances are "by the book" when stone cold. I've only done 5000 Km. I also use premium fuel (91 octane around here, sometimes 94). I also use the Motul 7100 10w60 oil

I've wrenched everything I can get to and it's all tight. I thought it might be exhaust heat shields as this is common, but I took them all off and went for a ride and it's no different. I've looked on the forums and can't see anything else that might explain it. Maybe they all just make that noise, but as I say some days it doesn't - more Guzzi character?.

Any suggestions?

One last thing, possibly unrelated, a few minutes into a new ride (between 5 and 10 mins) that involves stop-start traffic. I'm sitting at the lights and then there's a strange "whirring" noise starts up and the engine note changes and the revs drop slightly. I can't believe it's the oil fan, since the ride has just started and besides, I've heard the fan before and it didn't sound like that - any ideas what this might be?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  2. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Exhaust pipes firmly in the exhaust ports? Perhaps a blown exhaust gasket?

That whirring noise has to be the fan. I was thinking perhaps the fly-by-wire servo, but that would be really hard to hear.

3. Harry H

Harry H Tuned and Synch'ed

I just starting getting a simular noise on my Eldo. Comes and goes but usually when it's cold and goes away after a few miles and not all the time. Sounds like a rattle but everything is tight.

4. PaulDavies

Dave - you might have nailed it. Got the wrench out again and yes, one of the nuts on the right hand exhaust port (as it comes out of the cylinder head) was loose. Stupidly I'd been focused on checking fasteners inside the head and from the exhaust tip back towards the engine, but side stepped that one for some dumb reason.

Took nearly 2 complete turns turn to torque it up. I've been for a ride straight after and there's none of that hard tapping noise at 2400 rpm anymore, just the regular steady background clatter that you expect from a Guzzi.

That rpm must have coincided with the resonance of the exhaust pipe which was just enough to open up a gap big enough to start a rattle at the mating surfaces.

I'm hoping that's the end of it (fingers crossed)

cheers
    Paul

John L likes this.
  5. PaulDavies

Ok - so replying to myself here (1st sign of madness?). Went for a long ride over the weekend and on the way back bike developed some more rattles. Turns out 2 of the 6 bolts holding both Audace silencers onto their "hangers" had fallen out and a 3rd one was loose. Just bought a box of fifty (for $13) M8x16mm hex head bolts which should last me a few more years. Makes me wonder guys, how often do you all check your nuts?

6. Trout

Trout GT Reference

LOL! Each time I take a bath. (Couldn't resist)

Use a little Loctite Blue & don't worry about it anymore.
    Both of the new Guzzi's I bought had various rattles but once tightened never came back.

PaulDavies likes this.
  7. blakbird

blakbird Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Is the strange whirring noise the oil cooler fan?

8. PaulDavies

....so once a month then :)

9. PaulDavies

Well I guess it has to be - I'm at a loss to think of anything else it could be either. One of the nice things about the MG 1400 is that it seems to run a lot cooler than my last bike, an FZ1, whose fan used to come at every set of lights and smother me in hot air. I test rode a VFR1200 before that whose fan seemed to be permanently on . The 1400's (oil) fan seemed to only come on after a long ride ending in rush hour traffic. That's why I was taken aback when it came on almost at the start of the ride. Maybe it was a glitch as I haven't noticed it since.

10. Trout

Trout GT Reference

LOL!!! U think I bathe that often????

Whirring noise is probably the fan.
    On my 1400 the fan almost never came on but the first time it did was in heavy traffic on a hot day & it freaked me out.

PaulDavies likes this.