• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stucchi Aux Tank & N. to S. American Tour

StelvioGT said:
The most difficult step was to get the new rubber filler insert through the top tank cover piece as the cover has a tank vent and an overfill drain that must be hooked to the cover. The rubber is very stiff and the vent and overfill lines are short. Be ready to be frustrated during this task.
The wiring instructions are in Italian but I followed the pictures. The pictures don't show you that the wiring harness attaches to the existing fuel injection circuit so I'll have to thank http://www.vespastl.com for having a great shop and mechanic! The instructions and wiring harness could be better but otherwise I love the tank.
After the low fuel light comes on you still must wait for all three bars on the fuel gauge to go out then you hit the switch and the aux tank pumps all of the gas in the aux tank to your main tank. Once you hit the switch it cannot be cancelled. When all of the gas is transfered the switch light turns red to remind you your aux tank is empty.
I do suggest even if you don't run side bags buy a rack for the bags and run with them. If you go down on the tank side I don't think it would make it unharmed. This tank makes buying a 2011 new 'large tank' Stelvio unnecessary!!

Cool beans, Dane! If you feel like riding up to southwestern Ontario to visit, it looks like you could just about make it a "one tank" trip! :D

Cheers,

Bruce

:D Following up...
I didn't have any problem finding the connectors, I agree they could have a bit better moisture protection... did/and will consider protecting them. I was able to find the "fuel injection" connector under the battery without a problem (still waiting to test the system for real, waiting for the tank to empty.. lights came on as they should). The directions, I don't believe, say anything about the tank having to have NO bars before allowing pumping, thanks for that info!
In regards to getting the rubber fuel grommet through the tank trim; I recommend grabbing 3 zip ties... zip from one side bolt hole to the other "pulling" the rubber flange grommet up and together (careful not to tear the holes), this made the job go slick as baby poop, relatively speaking. Make damn sure that it is aligned correctly, because once its on... the bolt holes better align!
:D

Stucchi website and MG Cycle website both show "out of stock" for this item whenever I have checked during the last few months. Where did you source yours?

I noticed that Stucchi was out of stock, so I hurried and bought one of the last two that MG Cycle had. I hope for all that Stucchi makes more. I would contact Stucchi directly and see if they plan on making more, MG Cycle, I believe, is the US importer.

Apparently it is just my bad luck/timing. I called Gordon at MG today. They sold their last one yesterday! :cry:
I put one on backorder. He says Stucchi has been shipping pretty regularly, so I suppose my timing has been off. They didn't seem to think the wait would be too long.

I've already eliminated the evap canister and plumbing, rerouting overflow and vent hoses together with a T and dropping the remaining single hose near the swing arm, far from the exhaust. I don't suppose that will interfere with the install very much (?)

What's the total fuel capacity with this set-up?

FWIW...the price really isn't that bad considering one-off custom welded fuel cells can easily reach this.

I like the design, I like the location...it seems a little "underwhelming" capacity wise. I'm certainly not knocking this set up, but I would opt for a pillion mounted aluminum tank (several off the shelf options) allowing for gravity feed with a simple ball valve. Trust me when I tell you: the more simplistic the better when you have to count on such a system to deliver!

IBA 270 said:

FWIW...the price really isn't that bad considering one-off custom welded fuel cells can easily reach this.

I like the design, I like the location...it seems a little "underwhelming" capacity wise. I'm certainly not knocking this set up, but I would opt for a pillion mounted aluminum tank (several off the shelf options) allowing for gravity feed with a simple ball valve. Trust me when I tell you: the more simplistic the better when you have to count on such a system to deliver!

It holds 9 litres (2.4 U.S. gallons.)

Bruce

IBA 270 said:

Unless you mount the aux. tank on top of the travel trunk you will not get gravity feed into the stock tank. Fuel Injection + a fuel pump. Hence the fuel pump on the Stelvio is in the tank. If your aux. tank is on the pillion you will need to pump it to the main fuel tank. Now if you changed out to carbs and a simple points system, then you would be talking a different senario all together :roll:

You can gravity feed into the tank...and the entire tank does not have to sit higher, but the lowest part of the aux tank must sit higher than the low fuel level on the main tank. The tank itself is not pressurized, only the line to the FI. The line from the aux. tank goes to a fitting you drill/insert on the bulk head plate on the tank with a ball valve (Home Depot and Lowe's and your friends here) in the middle. Simply throw the valve when the light comes on. While it's possible, I've never seen the gravity feed of an aux tank overcome the vent on a main tank. It will simply flow until there is resistance, and until the fuel is spent from the main tank.

I've set up several BMW's and a Yamaha with this configuration...it's actually fairly common. The actual drilling/tapping and installing the 90deg fitting on the bulkhead plate is easy, but can be time consuming.

I take back what I said earlier though: that's very expensive for 2.4 gallons! :D

I can't wait to see if any 2nd generation Stelvio buyers will install the aux tank. 10 gallons total! :lol:

StelvioGT said:
I can't wait to see if any 2nd generation Stelvio buyers will install the aux tank. 10 gallons total! :lol:

Whoa! Supertanker capacity! :D

Bruce

Tank is installed, first test completed. Ran aux tank into main while idling with main tank cap open.

Second time around I had a little problem :shock: :
this time I ran the pump with the main tank cap shut (as intended) after a few seconds I got gas running out in several spots, clearly overwhelming the overflow hose in the gas cap well. Nothing better than a running bike showered with fuel!
I think I know what’s happening ---- when I installed the new tank "neck" I noticed that the stainless steel hose grommet had not been drilled out :eek: , musta been fabed on a Monday or Friday. So I drilled it out and shortened it, since it looked like it extended far enough into the neck that the gas nozzle would hit it when filling the tank at the station. It appears that the pumped fuel exits the grommet and hits the tip of the main fuel cap and is forced up through the breather gap in the cap flooding the well! It is possible that the grommet should not have been cut? not likely that I can get another one of these :!:
My solution to the problem is to hang/clamp a sheet of gas resistant rubber under the gas cap assembly that hangs down and forces the stream from the grommet down and away from the cap.

Has anybody else had this issue? And if so how did you solve the problem?

Stucchi Responded! :D
Turns out that they had provided a "bumb" part, they will be providing a new fuel hose fitting and neck that directs the fuel down into the tank. MG Cycle knows of at least one other buyer who got the same "Plugged" fitting.
So for them with the tank, hope this helps :shock:

The other option would be to buy a 2011 model ~ saw one in my local dealer (Shipley, Yorkshire, England) has bigger tank and a slightly modified screen, loses the "glove box" but never realy use mine. But of course this is not the fun way of adding something and making it work?

Back