Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Stumbling 1100i Sport

Discussion in 'Spine' started by sstokes, Mar 30, 2018.

1. sstokes

sstokes Just got it firing!

Hi Everybody,

I have a 97 I Sport that has a problem that is baffling my dealer and myself. I have been getting a persistent miss and stumble at low revs/1st gear when I load up. At first, the bike would do this after about 10-20 miles or 15 minutes of riding. The bike stumbles and stalls but will rev freely when the clutch is disengaged.

At one point, I could pull over when it started to miss at speed, shut it down and let it 'rest and think' for five minutes and restart it and ride for another 10 mile before I had to rinse and repeat. Now it is doing it shortly after warm up rather than acting up after really getting into a ride.

The dealer''s tech says the rust in tank is clogging the system but the petcock filter and fuel filters are clean. The tank was stripped and recoated by the previous owner. I am ready to strip and reline it but I am not entirely convinced this is the issue.

The bike has a Will Creadon chip and was running well prior to this problem arising. Any thoughts?

Stokes

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Many possibilities including tired fuel pump, clogged filters, faulty sensors. First make sure sensors are reporting accurate information. Check that the phase sensor is in range, check both cold and hot as temperature may be causing if to fail. Check that fuel pump is providing sufficient pressure, it should deliver about 45 psi at all times. Next if the fuel filter is old, just go ahead and replace it to eliminate it as a possibility.

3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

In addition to what John says above...
    The injectors ever been professionally cleaned? Once that is done, the Sport-i has an inherent issue with the cam chain slack and the cam sensor with the 1.6M under load. Replace the OEM cam chain flapper with a bow type from MGCycle, and get the fueling sorted correctly. That EPROM isn't the solution (nor is it the likely root of your problem here). However, I offer; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/power-commander-pciii/ - to sort the injection once it is running OK. I solved the 3k hiccup back in 2001 with these items.

4. sstokes

sstokes Just got it firing!

Thanks guys! I will get a jump on those leads right away. Any thoughts as to why it will rev freely but has problems when in gear (especially 1st) and under load? I also noticed that when I rode it last night my lights dimmed significantly at a stop. Could that drop be messing with the FI system or engine management?

Scott

5. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Absolutely.

6. johnno

johnno Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I had problems with my 1100 sport corsa and all the above comments are well worth looking into . I had to check every connection in the end I had fuel tank hanging above bike so I could run it and pull on wiring and wiggle relays , also battery connection as to be 100% . Also it could be your reg/ recf . Everything on these bikes as to be 100 % or you get lots of odd ball running issues . If you got head guards make sure you got no arcing . Simple things first is the way I sorted mine

7. David Poyner

David Poyner Just got it firing!

I had similar problems whilst riding my just-purchased ‘97 1100 Sport EFI home. All seemed OK when running engine with no load & bike on paddock stand; pootling through town also fine. Once opened up (very conservatively), after a few miles it began to misfire, no power, coughing & spluttering. Running on one cylinder periodically. I just managed to get off the M5 before it gave up the ghost. Waited a while, wiggled fuses, kill switch, battery terminals etc, then started it up & continued on sidelights instead of headlight. Made it a few miles home on reduced power & revs. On checking, battery voltage was fine. Speedometer has stopped working though (!?), actually stuck near zero. Seems like it’s heat-related. A mechanic has suggested a faulty coil, so I need to get one to test - any ideas? Is it the “BAE 850” one I’ve seen in eBay & in Google images? Fuel pump and filter are new, as are plugs, caps & HT leads. Thanks in advance!

8. Kremmen

Kremmen Just got it firing!

That could perhaps even be a bad earth, no? I had all kinds of misbehaviour until I ran a couple of extra earths here and there. Then I had all kinds of misbehaviour from a dying ECU but that's another story.

Speedos do die. I'm on my second or third. Check the battery is tied down securely, if you're running a smaller than original it might shift around and loosen the connections. (That may have contributed to my dead ECU.)

9. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Tuned and Synch'ed

Has anyone verified that the coil(s) are not failing ? Peter

10. groundhog105

groundhog105 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I experienced the same issues on my Lemans 1000 that was driving me nuts. Turned out to be a bad coil.