• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stumbling 1100i Sport

sstokes

Just got it firing!
Hi Everybody,

I have a 97 I Sport that has a problem that is baffling my dealer and myself. I have been getting a persistent miss and stumble at low revs/1st gear when I load up. At first, the bike would do this after about 10-20 miles or 15 minutes of riding. The bike stumbles and stalls but will rev freely when the clutch is disengaged.

At one point, I could pull over when it started to miss at speed, shut it down and let it 'rest and think' for five minutes and restart it and ride for another 10 mile before I had to rinse and repeat. Now it is doing it shortly after warm up rather than acting up after really getting into a ride.

The dealer''s tech says the rust in tank is clogging the system but the petcock filter and fuel filters are clean. The tank was stripped and recoated by the previous owner. I am ready to strip and reline it but I am not entirely convinced this is the issue.

The bike has a Will Creadon chip and was running well prior to this problem arising. Any thoughts?

Stokes

Many possibilities including tired fuel pump, clogged filters, faulty sensors. First make sure sensors are reporting accurate information. Check that the phase sensor is in range, check both cold and hot as temperature may be causing if to fail. Check that fuel pump is providing sufficient pressure, it should deliver about 45 psi at all times. Next if the fuel filter is old, just go ahead and replace it to eliminate it as a possibility.

In addition to what John says above...
The injectors ever been professionally cleaned? Once that is done, the Sport-i has an inherent issue with the cam chain slack and the cam sensor with the 1.6M under load. Replace the OEM cam chain flapper with a bow type from MGCycle, and get the fueling sorted correctly. That EPROM isn't the solution (nor is it the likely root of your problem here). However, I offer; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/power-commander-pciii/ - to sort the injection once it is running OK. I solved the 3k hiccup back in 2001 with these items.

Thanks guys! I will get a jump on those leads right away. Any thoughts as to why it will rev freely but has problems when in gear (especially 1st) and under load? I also noticed that when I rode it last night my lights dimmed significantly at a stop. Could that drop be messing with the FI system or engine management?

Scott

I also noticed that when I rode it last night my lights dimmed significantly at a stop. Could that drop be messing with the FI system or engine management?
Absolutely.

I had problems with my 1100 sport corsa and all the above comments are well worth looking into . I had to check every connection in the end I had fuel tank hanging above bike so I could run it and pull on wiring and wiggle relays , also battery connection as to be 100% . Also it could be your reg/ recf . Everything on these bikes as to be 100 % or you get lots of odd ball running issues . If you got head guards make sure you got no arcing . Simple things first is the way I sorted mine

I had similar problems whilst riding my just-purchased ‘97 1100 Sport EFI home. All seemed OK when running engine with no load & bike on paddock stand; pootling through town also fine. Once opened up (very conservatively), after a few miles it began to misfire, no power, coughing & spluttering. Running on one cylinder periodically. I just managed to get off the M5 before it gave up the ghost. Waited a while, wiggled fuses, kill switch, battery terminals etc, then started it up & continued on sidelights instead of headlight. Made it a few miles home on reduced power & revs. On checking, battery voltage was fine. Speedometer has stopped working though (!?), actually stuck near zero. Seems like it’s heat-related. A mechanic has suggested a faulty coil, so I need to get one to test - any ideas? Is it the “BAE 850” one I’ve seen in eBay & in Google images? Fuel pump and filter are new, as are plugs, caps & HT leads. Thanks in advance!

That could perhaps even be a bad earth, no? I had all kinds of misbehaviour until I ran a couple of extra earths here and there. Then I had all kinds of misbehaviour from a dying ECU but that's another story.

Speedos do die. I'm on my second or third. Check the battery is tied down securely, if you're running a smaller than original it might shift around and loosen the connections. (That may have contributed to my dead ECU.)

I had similar problems whilst riding my just-purchased ‘97 1100 Sport EFI home. All seemed OK when running engine with no load & bike on paddock stand; pootling through town also fine. Once opened up (very conservatively), after a few miles it began to misfire, no power, coughing & spluttering. Running on one cylinder periodically. I just managed to get off the M5 before it gave up the ghost. Waited a while, wiggled fuses, kill switch, battery terminals etc, then started it up & continued on sidelights instead of headlight. Made it a few miles home on reduced power & revs. On checking, battery voltage was fine. Speedometer has stopped working though (!?), actually stuck near zero. Seems like it’s heat-related. A mechanic has suggested a faulty coil, so I need to get one to test - any ideas? Is it the “BAE 850” one I’ve seen in eBay & in Google images? Fuel pump and filter are new, as are plugs, caps & HT leads. Thanks in advance!

I experienced the same issues on my Lemans 1000 that was driving me nuts. Turned out to be a bad coil.

Back