• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Submerged CARC spells $ possible future problems.

Adam Davis

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
As you all can see by the looks of the back end of this Griso it spent some time underwater. South Florida sandy, brackish water no less. This goes out to all carc Guzzi bikes but especially the Stelvio. The Stelvio being Guzzi attempt to tap the adventure bike market. Apparently all the swingarm designs are identical from the bearing sizing to drive shaft length, sealing engineering and torque specs. There were some final drive issues prompting recall on some Breva models I believe. We have all been warned of checking the 2 sets of taper bearings and shock linkage needle bearings lubrication due to shortcomings upon a lot of carc swingarm assemblies/ installs at Mandello plant. The Griso in photo required a complete rebuild. It was done. But for awareness purposes let's stick with the swingarm and carc damage specifically.

If all who are reading this at this point opened up and removed carc you may of have not noticed that the swing arm itself is not a sealed unit the gear shift side and drive side itself are hollow and will allow water to enter inside of swingarm and travel over into the drivetrain side of swingarm if submerged. And upon water entering this area corrosion will attack driveshaft, output transmission splines, and final drive input splines. This is as one is assuming area was all sealed from contamination or water intrusion and was fine and dandy.

The carc oil was changed multiple times due to water intrusion as the ole trusty breather turned snorkel design allowed water entry. This bike had a lot of other work being done and parts replaced elsewhere obviously due to bikes partial submersion. With the bearings glanced over for prior grease and proper torque of nut/ spindle that put the swingarm project on the completed side. (Just lazy not to check the splines) There wasn't any signs or symptoms of anything wrong with carc or drive line system at all for about 5,000 trouble free miles of riding after rebuild. Alas,I started notice some slop rattle on light deaccel. Felt it on right foot peg occasionally. But beyond the silent block replacement slop I went through many miles ago and then replaced. Nope something is wrong Internal swingarm or tranny.

After pulling brake and disconnecting speedo, carc final came off spewing about 1 or 2 oz of liquid corrosion water on my floor. Followed by removing entire swingarm from bike. Almost all was corrosion killed. All except the output splines on the tranny. Highlighted in silver Molycote M-77. Replaced driveshaft, final drive, boots and all Oiteker clamps. Had to split case on carc and used a Breva final drive, in which I replaced with high end FAG bearings on both sides of drive. It's a job switching final drives out of the housings. But it can be done. Over 15,000 miles on new drivetrain and 2 trips to Asheville North Carolina. Tested and approved at this point.

Attention riders of the carc machines, whatever your situation, if your bike goes under at the footrest level (these things happen). Do yourself a favor and check for water intrusion into swingarm. Some have drilled a small drain hole just in front of final drive seal. Not I, but that's me. Catch it early and save yourself ALOT of cheddar, cash, coin, and time. Or even worse, wheel lock or slippage. But mostly be aware. These bikes are tanks and we love em. But even tanks can die from water intrusion.

Griso SE 1200
53,450 miles

IMG 20200603 175642784 IMG 20200525 161441166 IMG 20200525 162054847 IMG 20200525 162515845 20190717 132929

Where in the world do people think that “Adventure Bike” means Submarine?

NO MOTORCYCLE is designed or rated to be submerged in water.

Do yourself a favor...don’t abuse your motorcycle and then act like there is some design flaw from the manufacturer.

Our shop had a Griso stolen from the managers home. This in 09 before the 1200 came out.
There was a screwdriver stuck in ignition. Bike turned on & started. Just cause it has a system doesn't mean it can't be done.

Our shop had a Griso stolen from the managers home. This in 09 before the 1200 came out.
There was a screwdriver stuck in ignition. Bike turned on & started. Just cause it has a system doesn't mean it can't be done.

Not a 1200 with an integrated transponder chip security system, that bike isn't going to start simply by jamming a screwdriver into the ignition. I was just curious if they ever got the Original Posters motorcycle to run, or if out of frustration, that is why they dumped it into the water. That's all.

Not a 1200 with an integrated transponder chip security system, that bike isn't going to start simply by jamming a screwdriver into the ignition. I was just curious if they ever got the Original Posters motorcycle to run, or if out of frustration, that is why they dumped it into the water. That's all.
Yes Scott. It looked as if it was dumped out of frustration. I thought it looked like something teenagers would do. Then got spooked. Anyway, glad it was found.

Yes Scott. It looked as if it was dumped out of frustration. I thought it looked like something teenagers would do. Then got spooked. Anyway, glad it was found.
That truly sucks and I am sorry this happened to you. Moto Guzzi are so rarely stolen in the USA. It's almost unheard of really.

Kudos on your talented repairs!

Actually, if you unplug the dash, you can start it.

Back