• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

such a shame - I had fallen in love with the Stelvio

if it's any help Davern, I pressed the trip reset a couple of times whilst doing steady 70mph runs on freeway type roads and the consumption returned was 42mpg. Now assuming the computer is a bit optimistic that's probably a little under 40mpg (imperial). On my Rocket 3 I get between 42-44 mpg so you can see I don't clog it.
There was a popping on the over-run which I quite liked - my Rocket does it too.
If anything the second test ride was worse (for fuelling) than the first, and this was after the dealer had a go at setting everything up. But it may have been because I was concentrating on that one issue on the second ride.
Mike

I'll give it one last shot.

Hi Mike, In the end it comes down to what price satisfaction. Other bikes may be an excellent choice but if they are only 90% of a Stelvio which is what you really want, how much will it cost and how do you turn them into your dream bike?

Got a mate with a Kawasaki ER5, it suits him well as he is small in build and stature. He also had a ZX9 for a while but with distance vision problems high speed is pointless/dangerous. He likes tight mountains with lower speeds.
Had multiple suspension improvements done to ER5 so it now handles like a sports bike. Oil pump failed and destroyed engine. Test rode everything but nothing felt right or impressed him. Bought a wrecked ER5 and swapped motors but that engine was stuffed. Bought an engine from interstate wreckers but transport company put fork lift tynes through the crank case, insurance paid to rebuild it (by monkey) it was not much chop. He's now out of pocket big time, tests rides many more new and 2nd bikes. He likes the BMW F800R best but it is not as nice as the ER5 to him.

On paper the old out of date ER5 is a piece of shit compared to the new BMW, but by feel according to Kiz the little ER comes up trumps, every time. That's why I say, "Beauty is in the behind of the holder". Personally I say the Stelvio has been hit with the "UGLY STICK", just like all adventure tourers. Is my taste in my bum too?

For Kiz there was no option, rebuild a 500 motor having an engineer (BMW factory trained actually) modify a CB400 Honda oil pump to fit and function in the ER. What price satisfaction?

As for insurance, Australia is the same. Unlisted illegal mods may preclude you from accident cover. Dealers will be glad to oblige with exhaust upgrades. There will be multiple tuners in your location who can add a PC-5. My old Guzzi's were good for about 50mpg, but with tuning mods my Bellagio gets 57mpg. :mrgreen: :D :)

I went for another look at the Stelvio at Haywards in Cambridge. They maintain the UK press bikes and I rode it last year when it was new and shiny. After the press hacks have abused it over the winter it's really deteriorated with salt corrosion: Spokes, brakes rusty, bolts missing, it's not looking at all good. I'll still have another test ride but It's going head to head with the new Triumph for my money.

You should ride it. As previously mentioned there are a lot of new MG dealers in the UK who can't set them up properly. My other bike is a naked SV1000 and hunting is a classic symptom of the throttles being out of alignment. I bought mine at Haywards as they know MG and would recommend them. After 6000m it became a subtly different bike.
The Triumph 800 is a nice bike but has a chain, the 1200 is too new, let it go wrong for a year! Treat yourself to a Stelvio, change the bits you don't like (seems to upset some of the purists on the site but who g.a.s.)they are not like jap/new british iron but most importantly two up with all the gear on all over Europe mine has never let me down.
Ray

I second the recommendation for haywards mine came from them if you try one of theirs it will be as good as it gets nice people

I'd also say try Haywards. Enthusiastic, no BS people and at a time where not many shops are doing much they are expanding and moving! They have to be doing something right. Nice blokes too.

Pete

Why are you people telling me to go to Haywards, when I've already told you that I go to Haywards?
Fortunately, they are a lot more switched on than you lot....

OK, so perhaps its not all about you and other people may read the thread with an interest in buying options. Obviously a rusty spoke is a big issue for you. Fine. Move on. Find the perfect bike for you. It obviously won't be a Stelvio, (Shrug?)

Pete

My 09 stelvio has had the surging since day one. Still trying to find a shop that can correct it. Don't want to spend another $1000 or 2 for add-ons. If anyone knows a good shop in N. CA, let me know (or Pete - if you're ever in the area again, the "refreshments" are on me.

Back