• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Suspension setup for 2012 Norge

norge1200

Just got it firing!
I have a few questions about setting up the shock and forks: for preloading the rear shock-normal load calls for 25 clicks from completely discharged, is this all the way soft or hard to discharged, I presume soft? ; for the damping-normal load calls for 10 clicks starting from the screw completely closed, is this all the way 'S' or 'H' for closed? ; and lastly for the forks preloading-normal load calls for from completely open close 3 turns, which way is completely open, + or - ? I am 185 lbs and my wife is 135 lbs, I do equal amounts of solo/2 up riding...I'm trying to set it up myself, but I need a baseline to start from and I want to start correctly.

Max both front and rear preload, and you just may sneak into the ballpark. The Norge suspension is woefully adequate... designed for riders in the 155-170 lb. range with gear. I have a few solutions if/when you are ready to make it right. Contact me directly for more info; Todd at GuzziTech.com and/or see the Store tab above for Matris and Penske shock solutions.

2012 Norge suspension is nothing like the 2v Norge suspension and is not woefully inadequate. I've put 20k miles on my 2011 including 7k miles of two up touring with about 450 lbs of passengers and luggage. The setting in the manual are fairly acurate: rear, turn the spring preload all the way to soft, then add 25 clicks of preload. That works well for my 200lbs. Fully loaded I go with the preload all the way up per the manual. With just a passenger, 35 is about right, depends on what you weigh. Be sure to adjust the damping on the rear shock as well.

I've never adjusted the front suspension once I set it to the default setting. I've never had it dive on me, even with a full load and a lot of stopping power.

nikwax said:
2012 Norge suspension is nothing like the 2v Norge suspension and is not woefully inadequate. I've put 20k miles on my 2011 including 7k miles of two up touring with about 450 lbs of passengers and luggage.
Can you give me the front and rear sag with both riders aboard?
My statement is backed by nearly 30 years of street riding (well over 1.5 million miles), ~20 years of racing and R&D, and 13+ years with Guzzi.

I'm a little confused--which way is hard and which way is soft on each one of these controls? Basic, I know...but I'm a little dense ;)

Preload is sag, and is unique to you and how you load your bike. It's quite simple to do but you'll need a helper. Rebound damping, you just want it to come back to normal and not bounce, again, you'll need a helper to steady the bike. Google and youtube have all the answers and it's easier to understand watching practical examples than having someone try to explain on a forum. Well it was for me anyway. :?

Here's a starter.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlqVx4mWUw

Hard is typically screwed in (righty-tighty) and soft is screwed out (un-screwed).
As mentioned, the proper way to adjust pre-load is to measure sag. If your sag is right with you on the bike as well as you not on the bike than you are good to go. if you have the right amount of sag on the bike but not enough with you not on the bike than your springs are too soft.

Back