Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Suspension setup for 2012 Norge

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by norge1200, May 28, 2013.

1. norge1200

norge1200 Just got it firing!

I have a few questions about setting up the shock and forks: for preloading the rear shock-normal load calls for 25 clicks from completely discharged, is this all the way soft or hard to discharged, I presume soft? ; for the damping-normal load calls for 10 clicks starting from the screw completely closed, is this all the way 'S' or 'H' for closed? ; and lastly for the forks preloading-normal load calls for from completely open close 3 turns, which way is completely open, + or - ? I am 185 lbs and my wife is 135 lbs, I do equal amounts of solo/2 up riding...I'm trying to set it up myself, but I need a baseline to start from and I want to start correctly.

2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Max both front and rear preload, and you just may sneak into the ballpark. The Norge suspension is woefully adequate... designed for riders in the 155-170 lb. range with gear. I have a few solutions if/when you are ready to make it right. Contact me directly for more info; Todd at GuzziTech.com and/or see the Store tab above for Matris and Penske shock solutions.

3. nikwax

nikwax Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

2012 Norge suspension is nothing like the 2v Norge suspension and is not woefully inadequate. I've put 20k miles on my 2011 including 7k miles of two up touring with about 450 lbs of passengers and luggage. The setting in the manual are fairly acurate: rear, turn the spring preload all the way to soft, then add 25 clicks of preload. That works well for my 200lbs. Fully loaded I go with the preload all the way up per the manual. With just a passenger, 35 is about right, depends on what you weigh. Be sure to adjust the damping on the rear shock as well.

I've never adjusted the front suspension once I set it to the default setting. I've never had it dive on me, even with a full load and a lot of stopping power.

4. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Can you give me the front and rear sag with both riders aboard?
    My statement is backed by nearly 30 years of street riding (well over 1.5 million miles), ~20 years of racing and R&D, and 13+ years with Guzzi.

5. mojohand

mojohand Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm a little confused--which way is hard and which way is soft on each one of these controls? Basic, I know...but I'm a little dense ;)

6. iainw

iainw Cruisin' Guzzisti

Preload is sag, and is unique to you and how you load your bike. It's quite simple to do but you'll need a helper. Rebound damping, you just want it to come back to normal and not bounce, again, you'll need a helper to steady the bike. Google and youtube have all the answers and it's easier to understand watching practical examples than having someone try to explain on a forum. Well it was for me anyway. :?

Here's a starter.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlqVx4mWUw

7. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

Hard is typically screwed in (righty-tighty) and soft is screwed out (un-screwed).
    As mentioned, the proper way to adjust pre-load is to measure sag. If your sag is right with you on the bike as well as you not on the bike than you are good to go. if you have the right amount of sag on the bike but not enough with you not on the bike than your springs are too soft.