• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Suspension taller now on Norge

aussiegreg

Tuned and Synch'ed
G'day all,

Sorry did my 1st posts then my Acreage Mowing business went ballistic with work and been too busy too post.

Anyway a problem with a bent bracket and Ikon Suspension have made up for free a new shock for me which is actually 10 mm (3/8th Inch??) longer than standard, with another 5 mm of adjustment if I want more. The new spring is 15 to 26 kg/mm progressive rate.

A the same time I had 15w oil put in the front forks. North Coast V-Twin also lifted the forks to the max which was only another 5 mm.

You notice the increase in the rear just looking at the bike and sitting on is better for the pillion as there is now a better View. Kim is the same height as me at 1.71m.

The overall effect has been to firm up the ride, but is still comfortable in a sport/touring VFR style. I do not now drag my toe and my lean angles are greater. Kim has not been on the back for 3 months as has her license now and I scared her last week going through a 75k corner at 140k, because of the extra angle now achievable. Even I felt the extra lean angle and no toe drag.

The bike now turns in more confidently and there is no ill manners at all with the increase in height and geometry.

The big improvement was in Kim’s words after going up the Gwydir Hwy was that she felt safer and I think that says it all.

As said in 1st post would have preferred a Hyper-pro but time was against me as I needed something ASAP in Australia.

Todd can the Hyper-pro be made 10 mm longer?? Also how do the spring rates compare to what I have now?? As I believe that if a shock could be made with a 10 mm or even 15 mm longer stroke, then a not as strong a spring as I have fitted now may be the way to go.

After a year I may upgrade this shock again as now my riding is all one up, although Kim may go two up at times. The Ikon is fair better than standard, but have we gone too strong on the spring and where do those extra forces get transmitted??. Now with a 10 mm longer shock, clearance is not such an issue which needs to be controlled with a stronger spring.

Greg

aussiegreg wrote:
Todd can the Hyper-pro be made 10 mm longer?? Also how do the spring rates compare to what I have now?? As I believe that if a shock could be made with a 10 mm or even 15 mm longer stroke, then a not as strong a spring as I have fitted now may be the way to go.
G-Day Greg. Yes, the HP can be made longer, 10mm no problem. What we have noticed is that installing the HP, which comes sprung properly, and the bike sits higher anyway. Bill H. posted some pics I believe. The specs on the spring vary based on rider weight. Happy to help when you are ready... or also note the all-new YSS Mono thread here as well. I should have a full review on it next month.

G'day Todd,

Is the extra length in the stroke or the steel shaft and is that a fixed length or adjustable.

Even with a progressive rate 15.5 to 26.0 kg/mm in the 1st shock we still scraped the leading bend of the pipe a bit before we wound the adjustment up 5mm last year after 5000 km and then were still touching the fairing on 2 really huge mid corner bumps. Remember that Kim and I are a combined 140kg (310lb) plus luggage and I still did not have the centre stand back on.

Now with an extra 10mm in length and centre stand back on there is no scraping and no toe scraping. So I think a big improvement is the length especially as the typical two up load for a norge is probably 170kg (374lb) plus luggage. Although America may have very smooth roads compared to Australia.

But the big thing with an extra 10mm in length is that it sharpens the steering up without being twitchy.

Greg

If any of these solutions (Ikon, HP, YSS) result in a higher seat height, then that could be a problem for the short among us, like me, who may have already opted for the lower seat and thicker soles to combat what is already a tall bike for us.
About this Ikon thing-is this a one off, or something they are making commercially for Norge/Breva, or thinking about commercially? Don't see it listed in their application chart. I have liked their products as a cost effective upgrade for my twin shock Guzzis, & would definitely be interested in exploring same made for the newer monoshocks if it fits the same niche.

guzzibob wrote:
If any of these solutions (Ikon, HP, YSS) result in a higher seat height, then that could be a problem for the short among us, like me, who may have already opted for the lower seat and thicker soles to combat what is already a tall bike for us.
About this Ikon thing-is this a one off, or something they are making commercially for Norge/Breva, or thinking about commercially? Don't see it listed in their application chart. I have liked their products as a cost effective upgrade for my twin shock Guzzis, & would definitely be interested in exploring same made for the newer monoshocks if it fits the same niche.

I'm 1.71m or 5ft 7in and I am able to be just comfortable with heels almost touching the ground.

The Ikons are a one off for me as I had bought the Norge and 1 month later was going on a 2 week tour Two Up and I had already ground out a centre stand in the 1st 400km. No one had anything in the country and 14 months ago Hyperpro were very new with no real usage by anyone and me being on other side of world I was worried about back up. But that is not a worry now and I would buy one as well as the fork springs.

Ikon are not into mono shocks in a big way at the moment as they are big on sppedway and twin shocks, but if you are in Australia near Albury, speak to Geoff. But at the moment Hyperpro is probably better as more development has been happening and then from what I have been reading get the matching fork springs.

Greg

Guzzibob, I read in a French, no it was probably Belgian french, magazine a few months ago, that they had fitted an Ohlins rear unit to the Norge they owned, and were doing a long term test on. Unfortunately I don't have the mag any more, and in any case my french is not good enough to do a full translation.
They were very happy with the result though.

Back