• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Suspension upgrade - brake mod required?

Hydrolastic

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I read in Guzziology that the linked brake system on my Cal Titanium is directly dependent on the swingarm position, which is the reason preload is not adjustable (and on my model, nothing is adjustable). I find the suspension dynamics are sorely lacking, so I'm looking to (eventually) upgrade the forks and rear shocks at some point. Has anyone else done this on a linked brake EV-era machine? Is it required to separate the brakes, or can the linked system safely remain?

Dave

Hi Dave, yes, can be done. There is an adjustment on the cam at the swing-arm in the manual. Honestly, I've done about everything you can possibly imagine and we've even run them on the track for fun. No issues that can't be resolved, and if you haven't, see the online STORE tab above for all of my well-proven suspension options.

Todd - the only adjustment I see in the manual is to make sure the maximum length between the adjuster and the spring hook is 67mm. With the replacement shocks that are in the store, does that mean I have a fixed preload to set them too to keep everything in spec with different loads, or is there a brake adjustment I can make, for, say, 2-up riding but keeping the suspension in the middle of its travel?

Todd - the only adjustment I see in the manual is to make sure the maximum length between the adjuster and the spring hook is 67mm. With the replacement shocks that are in the store, does that mean I have a fixed preload to set them too to keep everything in spec with different loads, or is there a brake adjustment I can make, for, say, 2-up riding but keeping the suspension in the middle of its travel?

I would say don't worry about that proportioning valve by the swing arm. I've had after market shocks on my EVs and even seen bikes where the spring had rusted away. Didn't seem to make any difference in braking. So my advice is to not worry about it at all.

Back