• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Swapped GSXR forks onto 96 Sport *Updated pics at bottom*

Moto510

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I needed to rebuild the stock forks on my Sport but I decided to upgrade them instead. I found a complete front end off of a 07 GSXR 1000 for a really good price and decided to try it. It was surprisingly not hard to fit them to my Guzzi, I just had to turn down some new bearing races and fab up a bracket for the steering stabilizer. The GSXR front wheel also weighs a lot less than the Guzzi one too.
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Re: Swapped GSXR forks onto 96 Sport

Nice job.

Ed

Thanks Ed.
I got to really try it out today and I'm really happy with the conversion results.

I'm new to this board, so hope it's OK to just jump in with both feet.

I'm very interested in what was involved with swapping the Sport over to the GSXR front end. I have a '93 Daytona 1000 that I swapped front ends with from a '96 Sport 1100 I used to have. I swapped everything from the steering neck down, forks, brakes, tires, etc. as they were a direct swap. I now have discovered that the left fork leg internals (comp or rebound, not sure without looking) are clapped out, and haven't had much luck with finding a replacement damper rod assembly. I now know the Daytona internals were rebuildable, while the Sports' are not.

Unless someone knows where to get the replacement parts for the Sport fork legs at reasonable cost, I'm leaning towards the GSXR solution.

I have a good riding buddy that has a complete machine shop at his place who can make just about anything for little or no cost to me, and was wondering if you used the GSXR upper and lower tree's and simply swapped the steering stems?.

I really like the Guzzis' personality, and while it's by far not my fastest or best handling bike, I find I enjoy riding it as much or more than any of the others for a variety of reasons. I've probably destroyed it's resale value due to the loss of the original equipment, but figure I'll ride it until the day I can no longer ride anything anyway.

I've attached a photo of both bikes after the front end swap was done, although I sold the Sport back in 2003.

Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DCP01991.JPG
    DCP01991.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,370

I too couldn't find new replacement fork tubes for my 96 front end for a reasonable price or available at all for that matter so thats why I went with the front end swap. I did find a good used set of forks but I had the itch to upgrade the suspension. ed@guzzitech.com had the used forks and may have other front end parts if your looking for a used parts source.

The only real machine work that I did to fit the new front end was to turn down the OD on a new set of bearing races. The new bearing set allowed me to keep the GSXR stem and cost under $30. The only other mods that you'll have to do is the ignition switch and steering stops. I used the stock guzzi switch so that I wouldn't have to carry 2 keys. I drilled the stock gsxr ignition mounting holes deeper and then cut the posts down until the ignition was flush with the triple tree and then tapped the holes to mount it. If you use a 07 GSXR top triple tree you will lose the function of the steering lock because of the switch location but if you use an 06 top tree you "might" be able to keep the lock function, but I don't use the steering lock so it didn't matter to me.
There are a few different ways to do the steering stops but I did the cheapest easiest way I could find. I used a piece of all thread rod put through the bottom tube on the front of the steering head and then put some nuts on each side to lock it on and then bent down the ends and cut them to length so that they would contact the bottom tree stops before the tubes hit the tank.
The stock Guzzi steering stabilizer can be used if you make a small flat bracket with a couple of nuts welded on it and a couple of holes drilled in it. There are already a couple of threaded holes on the underside of the bottom tree to mount it to.
You'll get much better suspension and lose a few pounds off the front end with this swap, I'm very happy with the results especially since I spent under $500 for everything.
I"ll try and get some pics up if you'd like more info on the swap

Moto 510,
Thanks for the quick response, and if it's not too much trouble any pictures/info you have would be useful. I'm not in a terrible rush to get this done, as I have other bikes to ride once it warms up at least into the 40's, so don't put yourself out if you're busy. The Bitubo damper on my Daytona has seen better days, so I'm thinking I might be able to use a stock GSXR damper, or maybe just non at all as I've never had head shake issues with either the Daytona, or my old Sport when its' damper took a dump.

Thanks for all the help and have a good week.

I have three Guzzi's, a V11, a Griso, and a '93 Daytona. None of them have steering dampers. Two came with dampeners but they have been removed to improve the handling for my tastes. Some people think that it is crazy to remove the steering dampeners, I don't. I like the idea of fitting a modern front end, my '93 may need that. It's fork tubes have started to pit even though the previous owner took excellent care of it. Quality Italian chrome I reckon. But part of me wants to re-furb the original forks and get them DLC coated. Not sure what I will do.

I talked to a friend yesterday that owns "Koons Performance", a local shop that specializes in hot rodding GSXR's, R1's etc. for the track and street to see if he had a source for reasonably priced GSXR 1000 front ends. He told me he generally sources from Ebay, and usually ends up in the $300-400 range for complete front ends including the wheel. Ed Miltch said he generally finds them in the $400-500 range in California FWIW. What I've seen so far on Ebay have a "Buy it Now" price that is several hundred more than that, although I've never really used Ebay so maybe that is normal, with final prices ending up substantially less. I have a bunch on a watch list, so we'll see.

The other thing "Koons" he told me was to consider using a later model GSXR 750 front end. He said they're Showa, with a gold colored coating that holds up much better than the DLC used on the GSXR 1000's KYB forks. The later model GSXR 750 forks also have high speed compression damping adjustments if I remember correctly. He also confirmed the forks on both are the same dimensions, and that likely I'll simply need to correct the spring rates to accomodate the heavier Daytona.

I'm hoping to get a set and have another machinist friend swap the steering stem from the Marzocci triple tree into the GSXR one to simplify installation. I didn't realize it, but my machinist friend says most steering stems are pressed in to the lower triple with simply an interference fit, and hope this proves to be a viable solution. Otherwise I'll probably have the bearing races trimmed to fit the frame, as Moto 510 did.

Time will tell and I'll post updates as this project develops. Now I just need to get another 15-20 hp somehow, replace the rear shock with something modern, and I think I'll have what I want out of the Daytona.

GuzziMoto,
I didn't think to mention it, but if you're interested in keeping the stock setup on your Daytona, I should be able to offer in the near future a real deal on a set of forks that are in great shape cosmetically (I stripped and polished the lowers several years ago) with no pitting, etc. on the sliders. The left fork damper rod is clapped out as mentioned earlier in this thread, thus my current quest, and the adjuster from the right leg could use a little help (still serviceable, but the ears used to remove it are a little buggered as they never had much strength to begin with.) Internally the bushings I've looked at are in great shape and the fork oil still looked like new after two years of use, so I suspect you could end up with a pretty good set of forks by combining parts.

No problem if you're not interested in this option, but I suspect at some point in the near future I'll end up with a complete front end from the Daytona, including the brakes and wheel, that I'll have no use for.

If you plan on swapping the steering stem you'll have to add extra machine work to either make a larger custom made flanged top nut since the guzzi nut is recessed and the gsxr one isnt or have a custom top triple tree machined. Thats why me and my wallet were really happy to find a set of bearings that would work with a lot less machine work than the other options. It only took me about 20 minutes to turn down the OD on the bearing races and the front end was on 10 minutes later.
I'll post some pics and more info on the swap sometime this weekend.

Also try posting a wanted ad on craigslist for a front end and download craigspal free or pro to search multiple craigslists at once and the pro version will send you a text when someone posts a ad that matches your search

Thanks Moto 510. I've spent the last few hours trying to find GSXR Fork dimensions to determine whether the GSXR 750 Forks will actually work instead of the GSXR 1000 forks you used. I don't want to make a purchase and find out the length, or rake/trail are different, but I have read on some of the other MC Forums (in particular where other brands have used GSXR forks as replacement like you have), that there seems to be a consensus that the Showa Forks are "better" than the KYB's. I may elect to go with what you've proven works as it will be simpler and still be a substantial upgrade from what I have now.

Making a new stepped stem nut is pretty much a no/little cost option for me, as my machinist riding buddy does those types of things all the time. This fellow is my best friend and we swap talents/capabilities all the time with neither of us keeping score.

Anything you find time to post regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Still looking into all sources I can think of to find a complete front end in the <=$500 range. The largest vendor I see on Ebay seems to separate the front wheel and rotors for separate sale at several hundred dollars each, which makes his $600-800 price for the "complete fork set" even more expensive.

Should prove an interesting journey.

Have a great weekend.
Bill

I have bought most of the front end from a '03-'04 GSXR 1000 for swapping on to my '93 Daytona. I see the issue with steering head bearings. I am hoping that I can get a set machined down and was wondering if Moto510 would be willing to sell me a set of bearings machined down as he did to his or recommend bearings for me to take to a machinist to have him turn down. Any info or help would be appreciated.
I plan to get a top triple clamp (one of the items I don't have yet) with mounts for handle bars so I can change the seating position if/when I desire.

Moto510 sent me the following info that he used for swapping his (I believe) '07 GSXR 1000 forks onto his Sport:

"You will need to buy 2 sets of 32006X tapered roller bearings and then you have to turn the OD of the race down to 2.047 inch which will match the OD of the 30205A roller bearings that are in your steering neck now. Remove the bearing race off of the gsxr stem and replace with taper roller bearing. Tap out old races from the steering head and replace with new turned down ones and using a block of wood to tap them in since the edge will be sharp. Install the triple trees and tighten down to seat bearings."

I can't say for sure that they will work for your year GSXR forks, but suspect they might. You might want to check out the following link to see if it helps (will may need to cut and paste the link):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/ ... etails.jpg

I'm now getting a complete front end off a '08 GSXR 750 for my '93 Daytona, and will probably sell the '08 GSXR 600 forks I just bought for this project last week. I'm going to see if I can't swap the gold anodized outer tubes from the 600 forks with the black ones that will be on the 750 forks I've ordered, as then I'll have the 750 benefits (high speed compression adjustment and the coated sliders) with the gold anodized uppers that fit the Daytona color scheme better than the black does.

If your year forks use the same bearings and Moto510 isn't interested in doing it, I can have my buddy that will be machining my set down simply do a second set for you at little additional cost. I'll check with our local bearing supply house early next week to price the bearings, but figure they should be relatively inexpensive.

Also for what it's worth, I believe the Sport and Daytona setups are close enough to identical for all this info to be applicable to the Daytona's, as I've been using the wheels, brakes, forks, etc. from my old '96 Sport on my '93 Daytona for at least the last 8-10 years.

Hope this info helps

Thanks, that is good info. The steering stem for my new (used) forks is 30mm. If that dimension is the same on your forks then the rest should be the same.
That chart is awesome. Thanks.

So here's an update with some more pics and info on the swap.

I used an '07 GSXR 1000 front end for the swap. The only real physical difference between the later years of front ends that I could find is the top triple tree varied in between a few years but only as to where the ignition is placed.
I used almost the entire front end off of the donor bike I found and I would highly recommend trying to get as complete a front end as possible.
You will need to buy 2 sets of 32006X tapered roller bearings and then you have to turn the OD of the race down to 2.047 inch which will match the OD of the 30205A roller bearings that are in your steering neck now. Remove the bearing race off of the gsxr stem and replace with taper roller bearing. Tap out old races from the steering head and replace with new turned down ones and using a block of wood to tap them in since the edge will be sharp. Install the triple trees and tighten down to seat bearings.
The next thing is the steering stops. I'm sure there are a bunch of ways to do this but I went with the simplest ways I could figure and what I had on hand. I used some all thread and a few nuts put through the bottom tube on the front of the steering neck.
DSCF1026.jpg

After I put it in the tube I bent it into shape using a closed end wrench and then used some loctite to secure.
Next was the ignition, I decide to use the stock switch since I didn't want to carry more keys.
I ground down the front post that held on the GSXR ignition and drilled and tapped it and then just bolted on the guzzi switch. I did lose the locking function but that didn't matter to me but if it does you may be able to make it work if you use a '05-'06 GSXR top triple tree since the ignition is centered on that one.
DSCF1028.jpg

To mount the Guzzi steering stabilizer I cut out a 3/16" steel T shaped plate and welded on a couple of nuts on the end of it to mount the eye joint and then bolted it under the bottom triple tree. The holes and bolts are already there on the GSXR bottom triple and you can use the plastic shield that's there as a drilling template.
DSCF1030.jpg

DSCF1033.jpg

I then drilled the top triple tree for some bar risers and switched out the stock gauges for a Acewell speedo tach combo and a twin headlight.
DSCF1034.jpg

DSCF1037.jpg

I did have to add some polarity switching relays to make all of the dash lights work on the speedo and relocate the gas light to the center of the steering stem.
DSCF1042.jpg

But the Acewell S4 speedo drive adapter screwed right into the Guzzi trans without any modification.
The GSXR forks are a little shorter than the stock Guzzi ones but they don't sag like the stock ones so I think it pretty much evens out the difference in length and I haven't noticed any negative attributes the the steering now.
I pretty happy with the whole swap out, the only thing left to do is to sort out some different mirrors.
DSCF1041.jpg

Moto510
Appreciate the updated information and like your end result. The headlights look like Buell headlights that a friend used on his V7? If not they're quite similar, and if I remember he bought them new for a very good price (it helped that he worked at a HD shop at the time). I'm waiting to receive a complete front end from a 2008 GSXR 750 that I'll probably use for this project, and will post updates here as work progresses. I am figuring on using the GSXR steering damper if it's in good condition, as I think my Bitubo MG damper is somewhat shot, but we'll see once I have all my parts in a big pile.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Bill

I may have found off the shelf bearings for the swap. They are for a '93 - '04 Suzuki RM 250, as well as well as a '96 - '08 DR650SE. They are supposed to be 30 x 52 x 16 and if so that should work. I will see when they get here. I actually ordered Moose Off Road replacement tapered bearings for those bikes.
Moto510, if you have already spent money and or time on bearings for me that's ok. I won't leave you hanging... Just let me know.

GuzziMoto
I had mentioned earlier in this thread I would make a second set of the bearings Moto510 used for you if you were interested, but didn't go get them yet. Maybe Moto510 offered as well and I missed it, but either way I'll be interested in seeing whether the bearings you ordered will work. If they don't, PM me if you want a set like Moto510 used turned for you too. I haven't really measured anything yet as I still haven't even removed the stock triples.

Today I dropped off the set of forks I got for an '08 GSXR 600 as well as the set I bought (complete w/wheel) for an '08 GSXR 750 to have them both checked out, and to have the gold anodized uppers from the 600 switched with the black uppers that came on the 750 forks. I also want to be certain the GSXR 600 forks are "good" before I put them up for sale in the near future.

Next week I'm going to see if I can't get both the GSXR front and MG rear wheels powder coated to match the gold anodizing, and figure it will compliment the gold accents that came on the Daytona. After all this it will be time to see what I can do to upgrade the rear suspension.

I need to go get ready for the coming blizzard, so have a great weekend.

Back