• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Swapped GSXR forks onto 96 Sport *Updated pics at bottom*

Yeah, Moto510 offered to make me a set. And if he has already started then that is fine. I will buy them from him. It turns out that the size for the swap, 30 x 52 is the same size that my Suzuki DRZ SM uses. So if I end up with two sets that is fine. I want to upgrade my DRZ anyway.
Yeah, this snow puts a hurting on my plans to work on the bike;. But I will get what I can done.

GuzziMoto said:
I may have found off the shelf bearings for the swap. They are for a '93 - '04 Suzuki RM 250, as well as well as a '96 - '08 DR650SE. They are supposed to be 30 x 52 x 16 and if so that should work. I will see when they get here. I actually ordered Moose Off Road replacement tapered bearings for those bikes.
Moto510, if you have already spent money and or time on bearings for me that's ok. I won't leave you hanging... Just let me know.
No worries, I haven't machined them yet, it was on the schedule for tomorrow. I forgot to email you the other day about it. I have another use for them so no money needed.
Great find on the DR bearings, I never could find a cross reference for different bike steering bearings.

GuzziMoto
I did receive and install the AllBalls bearings you suggested and they are an excellent fit. The only thing I may need to do is make a spacer/thrust washer for the top of the triple between the upper inner bearing race and the two "lock" nuts, but as I had to leave for out-of-town suddenly I haven't confirmed that situation yet.

I also had to get new isolation mount standoffs for the Tach and Speedo, as I discovered that two of the four had the rubber portions broken. MG sells the correct mounts for close to $30 each (times 4 is a little too much for me), so I bought other ones for a newer Guzzi that I'll make work ($8 each). The cheaper ones are a little different design (roughly same overall length) and have larger diameter threads (6mm I believe) on both ends, but I figure to JB weld the female threads shut and then tap them for the smaller (4 or 5mm) threads that are on the male studs of both gauges. The male threads of the standoffs will fit the holes where they mount, so all I'll need is new nuts and washers to fit.

So far it appears I can use the GSXR clip-ons with the MG throttle assembly/switch pod and the GSXR radial Master on the right side, and the MG switch pod and either clutch lever on the left. Once I get my GSXR forks back I'll be able to confirm what combo actually fits best, and then find out what fairing/tank clearance issues may exist.

I am glad it worked for you. It is good info to keep around for others.
Not sure if this will help you with the thread size issue, but I have on a couple occasions used a heli-coil insert to reduce a larger female threaded hole down to a smaller size.
As far as the spacer, I already have one but I should know for sure in a couple days whether it is the right size or not. I am waiting on the nuts and washer for the steering stem. I enlarged the steering stem hole in my '01-"02 top LSL top triple with bar mounts and am getting ready to install it but I still need to finish up the transmission. I had the rear cover off to fix a leak. Just waiting on some o-rings before putting it together.
Here's a question. On the output shaft out of the rear of the trans, underneath/in front of the front universal joint there is a nut that holds the speedo drive spacer onto the shaft. It has a collar on the nut to indent so that it can't come off. The service manual I have does not give a torque setting for this nut (atleast not that I have found), anybody have any thoughts on what it should be?
I am not sure if I am going to keep the stock gauges or not. I think if I am able to keep the fairing with my handle bars then I will keep the stock gauges. If I have to remove the fairing, as I suspect I will, I will likely run the Electrosport Acewell gauge as suggested. With no fairing I think it will look much better with a minimal gauge cluster.
I am really enjoying this project.

Re: Daytona GSXR Forks Installed

Just finished the GSXR Fork conversion on the '93 Daytona, and now just hope the weather permits a test ride later this week. It's already apparent the bike "sits" much better i.e. - it now settles evenly and front/rear suspension seems much more balanced and similarly responsive (had 1kg/mm straight rate Progressive springs installed based on an estimated guess). I was able to keep both the steering ignition lock and the front fairing (with a few minor mods), and assuming the handling improves as much as I suspect, will be quite happy with the results. Steering lock is now handled by the fairing support with rubber bumpers attached, as initially I was limited to something less than what a typical Ducati has. This required removal of the locating pins from the GSXR clip-ons, and minor mods to the fairing for fork clearance.

As the bike has about 19000 miles on it, I decided to remove and check out the drive shaft and u-joints (original was overdue for replacement and not zerk equipped anyway). One end cap from each u-joint had only "rust dust" inside, with no needle bearings present. I guess I got lucky, as there seemed to be little or no play evident, and I didn't notice any significant/new drive line vibration while riding. I've since discovered that the Sport U-Joints (>$100/ea.) that a well known vendor sold me for the Daytona drive shaft don't work on an original Daytona drive shaft. Anyone that's replaced the Daytona shaft in the not too distant past shouldn't have this problem, as the Sport drive shaft is apparently also the Daytona replacement. I found and installed some U-joints made for some type of 700cc 4WD four wheeler that should provide a relatively inexpensive solution. I had to remove 2mm from each end cap (still 1.4mm left) for circlip clearance, but at around $32/each, I don't care if I have to replace them every 10000 miles. Time will tell on this one, but for sure these U-joints are much beefier and better quality than others I've seen recently.

For those that are interested here are a few pictures of the finished product.

Attachments

• DSCN1233M.jpg
    DSCN1233M.jpg
    788.1 KB · Views: 866
  • DSCN1232m.jpg
    DSCN1232m.jpg
    970.8 KB · Views: 864
  • DSCN1231m.jpg
    DSCN1231m.jpg
    767.5 KB · Views: 863
Very nice. Although looking at your pics made me realize how unlikely it is that I will be able to get the fairing to fit with reasonably comfortable handle bars. I am either going to have to go with clubman bars or no fairing I think. I guess I will find out. I am first going to try drag bars in the hopes that they will clear. I am willing to give up some fork lock to make them work as I do love the look of the bike with the fairing but I don't think I can ride far enough at my age with clip-ons below the clamps. I like to ride to pretty far away places. When I was youger I was known to tour on a FZR 400 but know I am less hard core. Mine is mostly together now with the forks and wheel from a '03 GSXR 1000. I have not upgraded the fork springs yet but it is in the plans. I just wanted to get it together first so I could make some sag measurements to help establish which springs to go with. Sounds like I should pull the drive shaft back apart to check the insides of the U joints out. I felt them for play or notchiness and found none, but now you have me wondering.

Re: Post Swap Ride Results

Finally went for a relatively short ride for the first time this weekend and must say I'm truly pleased with the results. I had my machinist/bike tech friend ride it also, and he's in agreement that the bike has been transformed. I haven't installed a steering damper yet, and suspect I probably won't bother unless I see high speed stability issues once I try some high speed riding. As it is, up to at least 80mph the bike exhibits the same long wheelbase rock solid stability it always has, but turn in is a lot more responsive with the shorter fork set. The bike is much better balanced with the shorter forks, and dynamic sag is much improved as compared to the stock forks (they used half the travel even with uprated springs installed).

I understand your concern with the handlebars and comfort issues GuzziMoto, as I just turned 58 myself, but believe it or not the new setup shown in the photo's is quite comfortable, especially when compared to the stock setup. I'd mentioned to my buddy when he finished his test ride that I found the handlebars to far more comfortable than they looked like they should be, and he agreed he'd assumed the same thing and that they were a marked improvement. Also, I've sacrificed non of the steering lock with this setup FWIW.

Once I go over torque settings on everything I touched again, I'll start upping the ante a little bit to see if any high speed/high load issues rear their ugly head. I'm really curious to see how it handles high turn loads and bumps/dips out in the mountains, once I'm comfortable everything is up to snuff with regards to fasteners. I'm also keeping a close eye on the modified U-Joints I installed for any signs of problems. There is much less vibration evident with the replaced U-Joints, so I guess I didn't realize how bad vibration had become before I started this winter project.

On another subject, I've had problems with the crankcase drain bolt weeping oil for the last year or so, even with new washers installed on either side of the banjo style oil return. I was going to try and find rubberized washers to try, but instead decided I'm going to pull the banjo style "wye" return line off and cut both sides so I can use o-rings to seal it. I'll post the results of this idea once it's done and tested for those that are interested. Assuming this works, it will be very inexpensive to maintain since o-rings are cheap and readily available everywhere.

I deleted the oil return as well and used a magnetic drain bolt off an older Guzzi that my local shop dug up for me. Thanks, Walt.
I also added a one way valve into the crank case vent line.
I have committed to going the fairingless route with a dual headlight set up and handlebars. I can always go back, I am being careful to make sure everything I do can be undone.
First short test ride was yesterday. Not done yet but could not resist as the weather was in the mid 50's. So far so good.

In case anybody is still reading this....
I got my GSXR forks mounted up and the motor/trans is not leaking any more (for now). I made an instrument panel out of some scrap preforated aluminum. I hope to go with the Electrosport tach/speedo unit eventually, but for now the stock setup will do. I need the money to have PPS rebuild my forks with new seals and springs as well as adjusting the dampening.
The bike is running well and the new bits work well. The bike is back apart for the aforementioned suspension work. While it is apart I plan on taking care of some details like painting shiny bits black. I hate cleaning my bikes.
I went with a dual headlight from Aztec 8. It is an okay unit but I was disappointed to find that it was advertised as DOT approved but it is only E mark approved. US DOT apparently accepts E mark for motorcycle headlights but Aztec did not understand that that is not the same thing as DOT approved. I had wrongly assumed that since it was DOT approved that it was a higher quality piece then the others that were only e mark approved. It turns out it is the same unit as the other (less expensive) units.

GuzziMoto
Glad to hear you're making progress with the fork swap. I agree on the cleaning the bike thing, which is why I try to clean my bikes at least once a year or so whether they need it or not.

For what it's worth, I had a local shop install Progressive straight rate 1KG/mm springs and change the oil, etc. for about $180.00 (since I didn't have a spring compressor suitable for the job and have no experience with upside down forks yet). I didn't bother changing the seals as the forks I used had less than 3000 miles on them and show no signs of weeping, etc., but it would have added about $60.00 to my total cost. I have about 500 miles on the new setup so far with very good results, and the spring rate seems pretty much spot on for the front end. Still need to rip the rear shock out so I can change rebound a bit, but am in no hurry as it's such a PITA to go through all that to change just a click or two. So far the modded U-Joint swap is holding up well, so there's hope the cheap option may be the ticket in this regard.

Other than breaking a speedo cable (because I was an idiot and didn't get it onto the right angle drive properly) I have had no problems other than the leaking Banjo/Drain Bolt issue, which should be resolved once I get the O-rings I ordered today to install in the grooves a friend machined into the Banjo Bolt. If you ever want to have your return Banjo/Hose setup set up for O-Ring seals let me know, as I can get it done very inexpensively. The O-Rings only cost $1.50 for 25, so I'll change them every oil change.

Cloudy, that sounds great. The shop I am using is a little more expensive, but Stig will adjust the dampening to match the heavier spring and my needs/desires. Stig has built race forks for me in the distant past and I have huge faith in him. He is one of the top suspension guys in the country. And his prices are reasonable as well. One of my forks leaks so I plan on changing both seals.
I am wondering how I can keep the one way crank vent and the oil return line.
More details on the u-joint mod would be nice if you have time.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. It may be useful to others thinking about performing the GSXR fork conversion, plus as the current owner of the Daytona Bill (Cloudy) did the conversion on it wouldn't hurt for me to network with others who have done it.

Great work Moto510 and all others doing this conversion.
For what its worth i dont believe any spine frame bikes need a steering damper at all,unless severely altering steering angle or trail.I agree with GuzziMoto.
Each to there own though.
I threw mine in the bin and it handles better.
If set up correctly with no serious problems you should never experience a tank slapper.
I have ditched the steering dampers from my Lemans1000,California 1100 and Dont use one on my Honda Sp1(Rc51) race bike which is much more prone to head shakes than any Guzzi due to steeper geometry.
Loved reading about your front end swaps.
Dems forks look awesome.

Here it is in it's current state. I also added a carbon fiber GSXR front fender from LP which looks great.

IMG_20150907_183840364.jpg

Back